I was wondering about "flick scrolling" as I seen it discussed here. Yesterday I fired up Google latitude on my phone. It gave me the opportunity to add a photograph to my location. When I selected "from SD card" I was able to flick scroll through all my pics. This does not happen at any other time. I thought this was a function of the OS/hardware and the Storm was not capable of this?
    05-16-09 08:34 AM
    Yes the Storm is capable of flick scrolling, it is used in the app Point too. A useful app to have IMO
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

05-16-09 09:07 AM
    I was wondering about "flick scrolling" as I seen it discussed here. Yesterday I fired up Google latitude on my phone. It gave me the opportunity to add a photograph to my location. When I selected "from SD card" I was able to flick scroll through all my pics. This does not happen at any other time. I thought this was a function of the OS/hardware and the Storm was not capable of this?
    My WSJ reader does flick scrolling, and it does it very well, so even though it would be nice to have it on the OS, they can be built into individual apps.
    05-16-09 09:08 AM
    it'd be cool for lists, like selecting ringtones, or the thumbnails of pictures, etc...
    05-16-09 03:10 PM
    Not OS dependent, per se, but UI dependent -- that is, if you have the ability to edit the UI for a particular app, you can implement or not implement flick scrolling. But since most of the core apps (media, contacts, etc.) use the UI in the OS (aside from elements that are changeable via themes), the implementation for flick scrolling in the core apps will probably have to come in an OS update, if at all.
    05-16-09 03:13 PM
    This has been gone over with a fleet of backhoes. It's possible to implement on an app by app basis, but only RIM can make it system wide. Apple currently holds a number of patents on "gesture controls" for touch screens, so don't expect to see this added by RIM any time soon. Apple's patents are probably invalid, but until they are challenged and the USPTO invalidates them, they are legally actionable. Meaning Apple could, and probably would, sue RIM if they implemented it given how close a competitor RIM is to Apple in the smartphone arena.
    05-16-09 03:22 PM
    G1's have flick scrolling

05-16-09 03:42 PM
    My old lg dare and voyager had flick scrolling....so don't think patents are a concern just somethin RIM sees as pointless I guess

05-16-09 03:45 PM
    I don't know about you guys, but I'd really, really like a browser with flick scrolling more than anything else. trying to navigate to the end of a long page is a nightmare.
    05-16-09 05:19 PM
    Apple holds a patent on multi-touch zooming. There are certain ways around it, but its very difficult to program.
    05-17-09 12:14 AM
    Apple holds a patent on multi-touch zooming. There are certain ways around it, but its very difficult to program.
    They don't hold one on "flick" scrolling, though.
    05-17-09 12:33 AM
    They don't hold one on "flick" scrolling, though.
    I dont think they do, my dare had it and my daughters voyager has it.
    05-17-09 12:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD