Which is more likely to occur first: RIM releases an update that adds the capability to use flash or another browser that supports flash is released for OS 4.7?
    10-09-08 01:55 PM
    Which is more likely to occur first: RIM releases an update that adds the capability to use flash or another browser that supports flash is released for OS 4.7?
    Adobe would be the people who port Flash to the Blackberry, not RIM.
    10-09-08 02:01 PM
    Adobe would be the people who port Flash to the Blackberry, not RIM.
    I don't agree. RIM controls their own OS. Adobe has already made Flash Lite which works on mobile platforms but developers (RIM) have to integrate it.

Adobe - Flash Lite
    Last edited by notabun; 10-09-08 at 03:03 PM.
    10-09-08 02:58 PM
    My money would be on a 3rd party developing a flash capable browser. Opera, Firefox, or Skyfire.
    10-09-08 03:02 PM
    I don't agree. RIM controls their own OS. Adobe has already made Flash Lite which works on mobile platforms but developers (RIM) have to integrate it.
    Flash Lite was created for BREW phones, and was created by Adobe ( with the help of Qualcomm ), not by the people that created BREW... Adobe will have to collobrate with RIM to be able to port it to BBOS, but it's not RIM that will be doing the programming. RIM will have to open their OS for Adobe so they can make flash compatible with their OS, which RIM probably doesn't want to do....
    10-09-08 03:03 PM
    Flash Lite was created for BREW phones, and was created by Adobe ( with the help of Qualcomm ), not by the people that created BREW... Adobe will have to collobrate with RIM to be able to port it to BBOS, but it's not RIM that will be doing the programming. RIM will have to open their OS for Adobe so they can make flash compatible with their OS, which RIM probably doesn't want to do....
    Flash Lite is the product. It's designed to work on mobile devices.

Opera Mobile also uses Flash Lite 3.0.
    Microsoft bought the license to use Flash Lite on it's mobile OS with pocket IE.

If you read the press release about the Qualcomm thing on the Flash Lite site, all it is saying is that they combined the Flash development tool with the BREW development tool for their mobile platform.

BREW Mobile Platform will be supported by development tools provided by both Qualcomm and Adobe. Native application developers can leverage an expanded and integrated set of tools available from Qualcomm, including integrated support for the popular Eclipse and Visual Studio Integrated Development Environments. Flash designers and developers can use Adobe’s existing Flash development tools, including Adobe Flash CS3 Professional, Adobe Device Central CS3 and other popular tools in Adobe Creative Suite� 3 to quickly deploy rich applications based on Flash technology. Qualcomm and Adobe are working together to provide an increasingly streamlined developer workflow with subsequent releases of their respective tools.
    So in other words, Blackberry could be like Opera or Microsoft, buy the license for Flash Lite, and integrate it themselves.
    Last edited by notabun; 10-09-08 at 03:22 PM.
    10-09-08 03:18 PM
    blah blah blah...
    I use Opera with my Blackberry, how come it doesn't have Flash Lite?
    10-09-08 03:29 PM
    I use Opera with my Blackberry, how come it doesn't have Flash Lite?
    Because you're using OperaMini, not OperaMobile. Two totally different animals. One is Proxy based and the other is self-contained.
    10-09-08 03:31 PM
    You would be using Opera Mini then. Opera Mobile (which has Flash support) is currently only available on Windows Mobile or Symbian S60 devices.

Opera Mobile is being included with the latest WinMo OS. HTC Touch Diamond and Pro have it. It's probably the 2nd best mobile browser out there besides Safari.

It would be sweet if Opera made a version of it for BB OS 4.7.
    10-09-08 03:32 PM
    You would be using Opera Mini then. Opera Mobile (which has Flash support) is currently only available on Windows Mobile or Symbian S60 devices.

Opera Mobile is being included with the latest WinMo OS. HTC Touch Diamond and Pro have it. It's probably the 2nd best mobile browser out there besides Safari.

It would be sweet if Opera made a version of it for BB OS 4.7.
    Wouldn't it be?? Sorry if it seems like I was giving you a hard time, just trying to understand.
    10-09-08 03:34 PM
    Wouldn't it be?? Sorry if it seems like I was giving you a hard time, just trying to understand.
    No problem, you almost had me confused for a moment

Opera Mobile is $24. I'm sure it's to offset the license cost of Flash Lite. If they made a version of it for BB OS for $24, I would be all over it! I hear all sorts of good things about it. I plan on soon testing the version included with the HTC Touch Pro so I can see for myself.
    10-09-08 03:40 PM
    No problem, you almost had me confused for a moment

Opera Mobile is $24. I'm sure it's to offset the license cost of Flash Lite. If they made a version of it for BB OS for $24, I would be all over it! I hear all sorts of good things about it. I plan on soon testing the version included with the HTC Touch Pro so I can see for myself.
    That would be awesome. I really wish we could get flash though, I feel like I'm missing half of the internet when I'm browsing
    10-09-08 03:52 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD