Hello all. Well, after countless hours of trying to figure out how to do this, I attempted it. And couldnt be happier. I searched around on here and seen a thread someone started about cleaning out the dust from under the screen.

Now, I realized there isnt just one screen. Your actual touch screen is 2 screens. The one screen is the main unit. There is a very thin cover that is on that screen, that gives the screen the tactile feedback. Im sure you wouldnt realized that if you checked out the other threads that people have posted about attempting to clean out the dust from the screen. Well, after having Verizon send me a replacement for this problem, and then sending the replacement back because My original was better "click" wise then that way. I attempted this trick myself. And it worked out smoothly.

What I used and you probably will need, is the small cloth that is provided with the clear screen cover from Verizon. Or any lint free cloth so that you can use it to whipe your screen with it, and it wont leave residue. Also a 3m Air Can to spray away any dust. Same air can used to spray dust out of the keyboard on your computer. Any namebrand will work but I had 3m with me, so I used that. Now...........You will need a Tack. Yes, the kind that you put a poster or hang up a picture on your wall with. 1 very small TACK. Instead of using your fingernail to pry the thin screen off of the actual screen platform, you can pick at it with a Tack. I picked in the middle of it. The very top of the phone and picked at the screen untill I seen it grabbed, and started to raise the thin screen from the top. It seperated.

Now, if you dont do this patiently, you will end up cracking or braking that tactile screen. That wouldnt be pretty. But if you have patience and push at the screen easily, the tip of the tack will go in the middle to seperate both screens, and then you have "play" to work with. See, the actual sealent that they used to attatch that thin screen on the top, is very weak. Its almost as if its a thin strip of double sided tape. Once you put the tack in there, and it raises slowly......you can then manuver or slide the tack to seperate the entire top. Once done, then hold the top and pull it towards you or away from the other screen really slow. You will hear the tape seperating, but when you to it slowly, it will pull. Slide the tack to one side and go all the way down. Leave that tack there. Get another tack and go in there to slide it down the other side and if successfull, the entire top thin screen will be seperated and it will still be connected at the bottem with a ribbon. That ribbon is what connects that screen to the other in functionality. Once thats done, You can use one of those 3M spray air cans to blow the dust away. Or whipe it completely down with the lint free cloth and make sure you dont touch the serface with your finger. It will leave finger prints from the oil your finger producess if you do.

Once thats complete. You can push the screen down slowly untill it sits flush like it did before you started. I would then, use that cloth and push down on the sides and the top where you seperated it from. That will somewhat make the tape or "glued" sides, restick. Once thats done your all set.

In all honesty, I know this is hard to explain through typing but its actually not really hard to attempt. You just need a lot of light and a quiet area. That way you dont jump, and pull that screen to hard to where it cracks. Its durable enough for just a small but useable amount of play. I have done this with my phone and now its considerded dust free. The screen has adhered back from the edges and is durable like it was before I attempted this.

Now before you attempt this. Just know that its not hard to do this at all. And as long as you dont apply to much pressure, its straight forward with the process. The thin screen on the top will bend a very slight bit. Just Slightly. Dont attempt to pull it real fast or it will snap in half. But once you go to pull it apart, you will be able to see how much play it has.

If you fail, im sorry. Take Caution if you attempt this. I know you shouldnt have to do this, but if your anal like me and have OCD, then you cant deal with looking at that dust everytime the sun hits your screen. Or looking at the specs from the white light off of the screen. I was fed up and had to take matters in my own hands. Just searched on here and found a person that did this, so I learned from that. Take caution and know that its really not hard. It takes non shakey hands and can be done as long as you dont pull it TO HARD.

If this was posted, I appologize. Other then that, good luck. I figured explainging this is a fraction of what I can offer the CB community after I have gotton a lot of help with everything from this site.
    Last edited by Terrigno; 03-26-09 at 08:07 PM.
    03-26-09 06:08 PM
    Terrible idea. What happens if the dust returns?

Maybe RIM should just seal the gap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-09 06:20 PM
    wow what a long read and i would never try this thats what a 1 year warenty is for
    03-26-09 06:27 PM
    My fix:

Dyson Animal with crevice tool attachment. Create a ****load of suction around the screen edge where the dust seems to be accumulating. Dust gone.
    03-26-09 06:32 PM
    yes, that fix would work. But thats only to prevent dust getting in there. The seal from RIM is garbage honestly. But it will re stick when the screen slips back on. Its just not the greatest sealent. Now I would only recommend someone try this if they were comfertible with the process. After doing it myself, I have to admit that its really not hard. Its just the thought of doing that, is what scares people to attempt it. I know they shouldnt have to do it, but this is for the people that just cant take it anymore and fell comfertible with attemtping this.
    03-26-09 06:42 PM
    I did that too and actually used a silicone and sealed the screen all the way around. It was dust free and now I got a replacement and after two days, dust! Sucks. Fixing to pull this one back and seal it too. May try the electrical tape method some have done. They say it seals perfectly as well.
    03-26-09 06:43 PM
    Why wouldnt you take pics when you were doing this?
    03-26-09 06:44 PM
    Why wouldnt you take pics when you were doing this?
    I appologize. Im in TN with my parents and not back to my house in NJ till next week. Dont have my camera with me. Only the Storm is used as my camera
    03-26-09 06:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD