Yes, I think your assumption is correct, but the BB nation is changing so we need to learn to live with it. Immaturity tends to be cured by good example, not by more flaming.

Maybe we can use this as an opportunity to do some teaching and mentoring through example.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that there seems to be less flamming and more helping the this week. I have noticed a tendency for the mature crowd to ignor the flamming crowd, and continue with helping those seeking assistance. While at the same time, encouraging them do searches.
    And we have a winner!
    03-26-09 04:32 AM
    I am a nOOb, and a Storm owner...but I mostly lurk about the boards. I haven't had a problem
    with my phone to warrant a "Help meeeee (insert way to many exclamation points here)"-type
    post. But I am the rare nOOb that would search first. :P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-09 04:32 AM
    Somebody is pretty full of themselves.

Believe it or not, the introduction of the Storm and the interest that it has generated amongst so many people will, in the long run, prove to be one of the best things that ever happened to the BlackBerry community.

Does it throw a lot of idiots into the mix? Sure, it absolutely does. But everywhere I look, I see reports of how much good the Storm's release has done for a boost in RIM's sales.
    03-26-09 04:36 AM
    N00bs have to be brought along. They're tomorrow's experts. Important thing for everyone is to pay it forward. Get a tip, give a tip. Take the time to post the things you learn.
    03-26-09 05:20 AM
    Yes, I think your assumption is correct, but the BB nation is changing so we need to learn to live with it. Immaturity tends to be cured by good example, not by more flaming.

Maybe we can use this as an opportunity to do some teaching and mentoring through example.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that there seems to be less flamming and more helping the this week. I have noticed a tendency for the mature crowd to ignor the flamming crowd, and continue with helping those seeking assistance. While at the same time, encouraging them do searches.
    Yes and as members it is up to us to maintain this level.
    03-26-09 06:55 AM
    these whining threads are worse then the "newb threads" id say.
    03-26-09 07:23 AM
    Oh God, get over yourself. It's just a forum, no one forces you to read their post noobs or otherwise.

Can we apply that philosophy to those who run around screaming "stupid question!!!!! Can't you SEARCH first or does your family tree really go straight up without any branches???? Maaaan you are a MORON!"

03-26-09 07:29 AM
    Its not everyone but you got lots of newbs, really young newbs that don't know what they're talking about and start alot of stupid threads, wasting our time. When i first came on here i certainly did not act like they are. Who else agrees?
    remember, everybody was a newbie at one time . it is up to you "veterans" to guide. don't be an ***.
    03-26-09 07:36 AM
    Although I agree with your point..

Obligatory
    03-26-09 07:47 AM
    I have been a member since OCT and have not posted much, just read. And I have made my share of noob questions. But I think there should be a noob forum then...... So you "high and mighty" crackberry users since oh... the day the storm came out. Can stoop so low and possibly answer questions for the noobs.

But noobs..... you need to do exploring on the search... and possibly just figure it out! 90% of the time your answers are found in the options menu on your blackberry.

Hey I am a long time reader and small poster. But those are my two cents.
    03-26-09 07:49 AM
    N00bs have to be brought along. They're tomorrow's experts. Important thing for everyone is to pay it forward. Get a tip, give a tip. Take the time to post the things you learn.
    being a newb i find humor, common sense, some expert opinion and some smart people who have no people skills outside of their friend network. im sure this isnt the first board most have joined. everyone i have been to there are always a group of people who imply to the newbs you should act like you at the kiddie table. speak when you spoken to. you are less of a member because you are only on your second BB and i have had one since god was a child.

i'll give you an example, a known person can start a thread that could or couldnt be relevant. everyone laughs and has fun. a newb starts one and gets flamed. told about he is such a moron he should have searched.

now i know its obvious when someone has made not attempt to search and "wants help!!!!" but a large portion of newbs have tried to search and 50% of the time its so watered down it almost impossible to find. when you do you have 5 users say this and 4 say that. maybe they want one or more experienced users to answer them about their storm which is very important to them. as important as yours is to you

edit. mr bear i was not complaining about your post. i thought it was a very good perspective
    Last edited by mpeppers; 03-26-09 at 07:55 AM.
    03-26-09 07:50 AM
    I agree with MPEPPERS. As you can tell, I'm a new and only post a question when I am completely out of options and can't find my answer on the forums. But, I will say this, ALOT OF THE FORUMS, are simply people complaining about the phone and whining about how this phone is crap. I did my research prior to buying the phone and yes I saw the issues with the software. The difference is I know that the more technology you put in a phone, the more issues you are gonna have. Just my two cents. Thanks guys ! This site is awesome !!!!!!
    03-26-09 08:04 AM
    absolutly...I am new to this forum and BB but not to smartphones or forums in general. When everyone has the right mindset, people can learn and in turn help others with their knowledge. I have witnessed this in action on 3-4 other forums over the years. Current state here is magnified by the fact that CB is a very popular forum and this is a very hot device. I do agree that most of what is asked here can be found by searching. But I am new here, what do I know?
    03-26-09 08:08 AM
    I agree with MPEPPERS. As you can tell, I'm a new and only post a question when I am completely out of options and can't find my answer on the forums. But, I will say this, ALOT OF THE FORUMS, are simply people complaining about the phone and whining about how this phone is crap. I did my research prior to buying the phone and yes I saw the issues with the software. The difference is I know that the more technology you put in a phone, the more issues you are gonna have. Just my two cents. Thanks guys ! This site is awesome !!!!!!
    True. This forum would be half as backed up if people didn't buy the storm and whine about how dumb it is. How much they hate BB. How much they wished VZW would give wi fi. etc. etc.

I think we compare our BB to the Iphone. Two different types of phones in my opinion.
    03-26-09 08:09 AM
    It's just a matter of people who don't take a few minutes to search themselves. The idea of a forum is to gather/pass on information to people, but some just drop in to ask their question and that's it. People will get annoyed when they see the question "Where did my browser icon go" for the 4th time in a day. The ones that do flame are usually ones that help and want to continue helping, but grow tired of sitting here answering the same question over and over. Then others complain the search is to hard. You ever wonder why? It's the 100 extra threads asking the same question giving ridiculous results.

If people just read the sticky threads and did a search and quit asking everybody to find their answers for them it would be a lot easier. Make a sticky thread with all common FAQ's. I know there is alread an entire section for it, but I bet it would help.

Same problem happened at xda a few months ago, go take a look at how well it works out now.
    I was new to BB when I came to this forum, and in one sense I agree with what you're saying. I have started VERY few threads, because I spent soooo much time READING the information that was available already. Not enough people do that. BUT I disagree that this thread is any more useful. What we need to do is when we see those questions that have been asked and answered a billion times already, just ignore them. The members who like to BASH those posters, AND even our nice, friendly, supportive members who want to point them in the right direction NEED to IGNORE those duplicate threads. When the OPs realize no one answering them, maybe they will go back and do a proper search.
    03-26-09 08:10 AM
    I'm a noob to BBs and Crackberry but I'm a good CB citizen.

03-26-09 08:36 AM
    I think your right Sha Bby. I just dint want to say anything. I don't want to get reported to the MODS. Lol.

lmao i mean if you are going to use ebonics to prove a point it should at least be used properly. I wasnt coming at the guy with any ill will, just wondering. lolz.
    03-26-09 08:48 AM
    Actually this is not my first blackberry and I'm new to this board I had a blackberry back in the day when the scroll wheel was on the side(yall remember that) when they first came out,then a palm treo(which I Loved r.i.p) But new or not people want to learn more about there phone and ask stupid or not questions they should be able too! Truthfully this thread is pointless u sound like a third grader when the new kids come into class. You where new once so GET OVER IT. Just don't read the threads that seem "stupid" remember there are others that will help out "NEWBIES" u don't have too.
    03-26-09 08:48 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD