The impressions below are my personal opinion, but apparently it is shared by others here as well. First, I do own the Storm. Second, I have been using blackberries for the last two years and I also own an iPhone, which I do not use since it is not on my business network and because I like the 8830 better.
    Back to the matter at hand. I am completely disappointed with this device. More in particular, it is the lag, the rotation of the screen, the scroll, and the overall feel, the playback of on-line movies, the speakers, and internet experience. It is not because I am used to the 8830, I have absolutely no issues with touch phones, as I think my iPhone is just fine.
    I guess the only reason why Iím frustrated is because this product is not revolutionary to the industry, so therefore (in my opinion) there is no excuse for it to have these type problems. I feel like I am testing a beta device every time I use it.
    I realize that if I wanted an iPhone experience, then I should just use my iPhone. But this is not my point. I do not want an iPhone experience, I just want iPhone quality, and I am pissed to be let down after all the waiting just because this device couldnít even be copied properly. I do not want the quality to exceed that of the iPhone, I just want it to be on par with a device that has already been out for the last two years. Is this so much to ask for from the manufacturer? I personally feel that the consumer has been completely misled about the quality and functionality of this device, and that pisses me off too.
    I do realize that firmware will get updated, but I think that whatever this device will be in the end after all the fixes, it will still fall short of what it was intended to be.
    Again, these are just my impressions, and I really did hope to enjoy this product. I just felt like I needed to post this for other potential buyers to be aware.
    11-23-08 12:34 AM
    Another thread like this ... seriously just post it in the 390000000 other threads like this ...
    11-23-08 12:36 AM
    * will sooks make the same post in the next "i love my storm" thread? let's find out... *
    11-23-08 12:41 AM
    Another thread like this ... seriously just post it in the 390000000 other threads like this ...
    And people say I'm repetative and can't leave things alone.

This is intended as a general question, but why can't we just let people post their viewpoints on this handset? I don't think I'm alone in saying that the Storm forum on this site is not even close to what the other forums on this site is. Seems more of an off-topic bash fest then anything else. Let people post their viewpoints please without having to shoot them down because you disagree. Sheesh

People want to post. Positive, negative, who cares... let them post. Dang.
    11-23-08 12:47 AM
    Hey, are you the same DirtyVegas with the built TT?
    11-23-08 01:43 AM
    My screen doesnt lag.. It did when I initially bought it.. but now it doesnt..

I did a battery pull earlier and keep programs closed.

It switches between landscape/portrait within 1 second.
    11-23-08 01:47 AM
    The impressions below are my personal opinion, but apparently it is shared by others here as well. First, I do own the Storm. Second, I have been using blackberries for the last two years and I also own an iPhone, which I do not use since it is not on my business network and because I like the 8830 better.
    Back to the matter at hand. I am completely disappointed with this device. More in particular, it is the lag, the rotation of the screen, the scroll, and the overall feel, the playback of on-line movies, the speakers, and internet experience. It is not because I am used to the 8830, I have absolutely no issues with touch phones, as I think my iPhone is just fine.
    I guess the only reason why Iím frustrated is because this product is not revolutionary to the industry, so therefore (in my opinion) there is no excuse for it to have these type problems. I feel like I am testing a beta device every time I use it.
    I realize that if I wanted an iPhone experience, then I should just use my iPhone. But this is not my point. I do not want an iPhone experience, I just want iPhone quality, and I am pissed to be let down after all the waiting just because this device couldnít even be copied properly. I do not want the quality to exceed that of the iPhone, I just want it to be on par with a device that has already been out for the last two years. Is this so much to ask for from the manufacturer? I personally feel that the consumer has been completely misled about the quality and functionality of this device, and that pisses me off too.
    I do realize that firmware will get updated, but I think that whatever this device will be in the end after all the fixes, it will still fall short of what it was intended to be.
    Again, these are just my impressions, and I really did hope to enjoy this product. I just felt like I needed to post this for other potential buyers to be aware.
    Somewhat agree. I believe that the 95xx was rushed into market. However I feel that it is a revolutionary device (no other phone has SurePress) and RIM is trying to really infiltrate the consumer segment, which is IMO evolutionary on their part.

As for hoping that the Storm would on par with iPhone (quality-wise), it may take a while (although the 95xx has an advantage in the areas of messaging, camera features, battery management, etc).

Storm is RIM's 1st foray in the touchscreen war, Apple is currently on it's second wind with the iPhone2 . None of us can really expect for the Storm to be perfect the first time out. Maybe in future versions of the Storm, we will see improved, iPhone-like quality (a new Storm is probably deep in development now). Even though the phone has its shortcoming, I still bought it. Challenges excite me and I will give 110% to learn the system, tweak the system, and make the 9530 work for me .

Hopefully, Storm modifications later down the road will draw you back. If not, there are a couple of new Blackberries on the market now, with more in development for 2009.

Good luck DirtyVegas and others who have the same opinions.

(Sorry for any grammatical errors, I am sleepy)
    11-23-08 01:50 AM
    And people say I'm repetative and can't leave things alone.

This is intended as a general question, but why can't we just let people post their viewpoints on this handset? I don't think I'm alone in saying that the Storm forum on this site is not even close to what the other forums on this site is. Seems more of an off-topic bash fest then anything else. Let people post their viewpoints please without having to shoot them down because you disagree. Sheesh

People want to post. Positive, negative, who cares... let them post. Dang.
    You are correct, can't have Ying without Yang or vise versa, or there will be imbalance. Civic, Please "Watch the Gap," it's a killer!
    11-23-08 01:56 AM
    Hey, are you the same DirtyVegas with the built TT?
    Not currently, but yes. I sold it to my friend and moved on to the AMG side of the MB. Currently driving Stage I E55 and looking to break her into 11s.
    11-23-08 02:47 AM
    Somewhat agree. I believe that the 95xx was rushed into market. However I feel that it is a revolutionary device (no other phone has SurePress) and RIM is trying to really infiltrate the consumer segment, which is IMO evolutionary on their part.

As for hoping that the Storm would on par with iPhone (quality-wise), it may take a while (although the 95xx has an advantage in the areas of messaging, camera features, battery management, etc).

Storm is RIM's 1st foray in the touchscreen war, Apple is currently on it's second wind with the iPhone2 . None of us can really expect for the Storm to be perfect the first time out. Maybe in future versions of the Storm, we will see improved, iPhone-like quality (a new Storm is probably deep in development now). Even though the phone has its shortcoming, I still bought it. Challenges excite me and I will give 110% to learn the system, tweak the system, and make the 9530 work for me .

Hopefully, Storm modifications later down the road will draw you back. If not, there are a couple of new Blackberries on the market now, with more in development for 2009.

Good luck DirtyVegas and others who have the same opinions.

(Sorry for any grammatical errors, I am sleepy)

I agree with you for the most part. I will most likely keep it too for the challenge, however at the time of purchase I was not looking for one. I would venture to think that many others aren't either. It almost feels like having a new board for a PC, and constantly waiting on the manufacturer to release new drivers... I just have less and less time for things like that lately. I do not want to spend hours on making this thing run right, and spend weeks waiting for updates. I do not think that I am being unreasonable when I just want my phone to function like it was intended to. But I do take responsibility for acquiring it on the first release.
    11-23-08 02:58 AM
    My screen doesnt lag.. It did when I initially bought it.. but now it doesnt..

I did a battery pull earlier and keep programs closed.

It switches between landscape/portrait within 1 second.
    Yes, I did the hard reset... but a reset is not a cure for any of the things I mentioned... it was only a cure when the Storm froze during a setup wizard. Despite what many may say, a reset is not a silver bullet... especially when it takes minutes for the thing to boot back up!
    11-23-08 03:01 AM
    Not currently, but yes. I sold it to my friend and moved on to the AMG side of the MB. Currently driving Stage I E55 and looking to break her into 11s.
    Haha Good to see you in the phone forums too!
    11-23-08 01:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD