My theory is that this is not a Storm 2. As radio said in another thread, its more of an upgrade to something like 1.2. That is why I think that it's the 9520 because if it has a better touchscreen, and they have added wifi, that's not really enough to make it a second gen device.
    Yet Kevin specifically called it Storm 2. Only Engadget mentions GSM and wifi. As much as I wish you were right I think maybe Kevin has better info since he got the info and pix.
    05-14-09 10:47 PM
    Looks good I can't wait to see it in person...
    05-14-09 10:49 PM
    If this is the 9520, it'll **** off a lot more people then if this was VZW's Storm 2. I know I'd be ticked.... why should the GSM Storm be better then the Storm we got? That makes current Storm owners even more so guinea pigs. I'll take one CDMA Storm 2 please....
    Well to answer that, I'll use the 83XX comparison: the 8310 has GPS and the 8300 does not, so the 8310 is technically better. It's not like its out of the range of possibility.

Yet Kevin specifically called it Storm 2. Only Engadget mentions GSM and wifi. As much as I wish you were right I think maybe Kevin has better info since he got the info and pix.
    True, but I'll stick with my theory until proven otherwise.
    05-14-09 10:50 PM
    according to engadget pics...it is cdma...that doesnt mean there isnt a GSM variant though....could just be a hardware revision
    Last edited by barban7; 05-14-09 at 11:00 PM.
    05-14-09 10:56 PM
    Meh. Looks nice enough. But eventually I'll get an OS upgrade (I hope) so I won't pay the extra to get a new phone.
    05-14-09 10:58 PM
    Gotta agree here, I've gotten NIB GSM phones that, when powered on for the first time, say "Insert SIM." I think that the "Activation Required" has to do with the software that's loaded onto this test device.
    Activation Required is what CDMA devices say. I get that text box pop up everytime I upgrade the OS. Im pretty sure its a CDMA device, but I think we can all agree that we most certainly need more info and clarification. Why would Kevin give us more info about the device?
    05-14-09 10:59 PM
    What rim needs 2 do is get tha storm's os stable and fix all tha bugs and memory leaks before they release a 2nd gen. Its not fair 4 tha 1st. gen storm users. It just doesnt make sense, imo.
    05-14-09 11:00 PM
    according to engadget pics...it is cdma...that doesnt mean there isnt a GSM variant though....could just be a hardware revision
    Where do the engadget pics show it's CDMA?
    05-14-09 11:01 PM
    To all whom are aquiring about the STORM 2. We don't know if this phone will be heading to Verzion. The next thing I want to add, is that RIM should stop production of this phone; do to the incompletion of the STORM 1. If this phone surface the stores, expecially verizon, it will be chaos throughout the world. As many will agree with my posting; I must say that a new duplicate of the same device, will create havoc and some carrier will lose lots of money. Conclusively, I don't think any carrier will want to take that risk, not the way the economy is at this time. Verizon, your challenge has just began.
    05-14-09 11:01 PM
    One of the pics on engadget shows the label on the inside including a barcode. Question is would it not be easy for RIM to track down who has possession of this particular unit?

@barban7
    Why do the pics lead you to say its the Storm 2?
    Last edited by dynot; 05-14-09 at 11:04 PM.
    05-14-09 11:02 PM
    One of the pics on engagdet shoes the label on the inside including a barcode. Question is would it not be easy for RIM to track down who has possession of this particular unit?

@barban7
    Why do the pics lead you to say its the Storm 2?
    edited my post when i realized that just because it's cdma doesn't mean its the storm 2
    05-14-09 11:03 PM
    I don't usually post this kind of ranting nonsense...But to see pictures of a 2nd generation storm while the 1st gen is still in dire need of an OS, that works the way it's supposed to, really really ticks me off..and when I say ticks I really want to say something else...
    Having got that off my chest, I like the way it looks..However I'll never get it unless Verizon offers it to me on a silver platter deal. This won't happen, so whatev..

Annnddd also..I'll NEVERRRRRR purchase another blackberry until it's been launched and cleared as worthwhile by the majority of crackberry members...I learned my lesson this time
    Last edited by Acousticgtarist; 05-14-09 at 11:06 PM.
    05-14-09 11:04 PM
    This is great! Theres only one thing that could make this day amazing - If Verizon released an official update...
    05-14-09 11:07 PM
    Where do the engadget pics show it's CDMA?
    infact on the engadget pics, i see a sim card slot.. maybe dual radio again??
    05-14-09 11:08 PM
    infact on the engadget pics, i see a sim card slot
    the Storm also has a sim slot. Doesn't MEI/D indicate CDMA?
    05-14-09 11:11 PM
    the CDMA version better have wi-fi...
    05-14-09 11:11 PM
    infact on the engadget pics, i see a sim card slot.. maybe dual radio again??
    Yeah, I was gonna say, I see a SIM slot, but that doesn't mean it's NOT CDMA, it could be a world phone like the 9530.

But I'm still sticking to my 9520 theory until proven otherwise.
    05-14-09 11:12 PM
    Interesting to say the least.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-09 11:14 PM
    the Storm also has a sim slot. Doesn't MEI/D indicate CDMA?
    yeah, i corrected that, hit the submit too quick
    05-14-09 11:15 PM
    Us first gen storm users better get one for free or get reimbursed

05-14-09 11:16 PM
    Yeah, I was gonna say, I see a SIM slot, but that doesn't mean it's NOT CDMA, it could be a world phone like the 9530.

I wish!!
    05-14-09 11:17 PM

I'm confused....engadget's first post says it's GSM and they haven't changed that. Are these pictures of GSM and CDMA?
    05-14-09 11:18 PM
    I wish!!
    One little screenshot of the About screen can put this all to rest right now, LOL.
    05-14-09 11:19 PM
    Us first gen storm users better get one for free or get reimbursed

I agree with this statement. But the likelihood of that actually happening are slim to none (IMO). Pisses me off because I bought the 1st gen. & feel like I've wasted my money because we can't even get a stable update that's worth it & actually works. if they release this before fixing the first gen., this may be my FIRST & LAST BLACKBERRY.
    05-14-09 11:19 PM
    I'm confused....engadget's first post says it's GSM and they haven't changed that. Are these pictures of GSM and CDMA?
    Well the 9530 has a SIM card slot and we all know its CDMA, the SIM is for use overseas where CDMA doesn't exist. So the fact that this Storm has a SIM slot doesn't necessarily mean that it is GSM only. There could be a CDMA radio in there as well.
    05-14-09 11:21 PM
334 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD