05-17-09 09:58 AM
334 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Awesome! Looks like the form factor mainly of the first Gen Storm. Which is why I love the Current Storm. The Body looks extremely sexy. This one looks even a bit longer and thinner. Which isnt bad. Thickness wise its thinner looking. This will sit with all my other BlackBerrys I got
    05-14-09 08:12 PM
    Could it be a speaker? I dont see a speaker elsewhere
    05-14-09 08:14 PM
    well i cant say that im surprised...we all knew this was coming. im just glad i sold my storm so im not hitting my head on the wall in frustration....im sure alot of the storm users out there feel betrayed..
    05-14-09 08:15 PM
    Storm was originally released Nov 21st. Fall would place it about the 12 month timeline. I hate to say this but....

That's the shelf life of an iPhone in an AT&T store.

I will prolly take the same approach my friend (iPhone 2G) and my gf (iPhone 3G) are taking. My bud didn't jump from 2G to 3G because there wasn't enough of a hardware upgrade. My gf prolly won't go from her 3G to whatever comes out this summer for the similar reasons.

If there isn't a significant hardware upgrade (and no, WiFi doesn't count for me), then I'll prolly stick with my current Storm
    Exactly. For all those who won't be able to upgrade right away, it gives them a chance to see what the masses have to say about the new one. There will be plenty of people out there who buy this one, who don't already own a Storm, and we will get feedback from those people. There will also be current Storm owners who buy this one just to have the latest and greatest, who we will also get feedback from. For those of us who can't upgrade right away (and don't have the money to buy it outright), we will be able to sit back and see what people have to say about it first.
    05-14-09 08:19 PM
    When i first got my Storm i thought i had no upgrade available so i searched around if there were deals for early upgrades. I found Bestbuy you could upgradge anytime early and it was the base fee of the storm $199 and it it came with $100 of accessories. Maybe verizon would do something like this? Or maybe i just didnt see the details on the Bestbuy thing.
    05-14-09 08:27 PM
    what happened to the rumor of the 5MP camera?
    05-14-09 08:30 PM
    Thanks Kevin and mysterious tipster ... you made my weekend.

CAUTION WILD SPECULATION BELOW:

[BEGIN DIGITAL'S WILD SPECULATION]
    I have no knowledge of this device whatsoever, this is pure 100% speculation.

OK, well first of all I see what appears to be gaps and i'm guessing the screen moves. Whether it is exactly like the clicky Storm 1 screenbutton or not I'm unsure. My guess would be that it uses some new advancement hardwarewise to require less effort to click ... at least I'm hoping we don't get hand-cramps from typing on it like the Storm 1.

I would guess the buttons would simply be straight touch, meaning they might not even require any clicking at all, but they probably still do for consistency purposes. Even if they do require a click, them being part of a movable screen wouldn't really matter. I'd imagine that the benefit of moving the buttons under the screen is that they no longer break off for some users and one simple screen protector covers everything thus reducing scratches and other problems for those who want screen protectors like me.

Assuming that the name is the Storm 2, I'd be very surprised if it were not on Verizon here in the US. I simply can't imagine RIM pissing off one of the major wireless phone companies by selling them an exclusive to the Storm 1 for a year and then making the model with the upgrade name and turning around and selling that to a rival company only 1 year later. The same phone, sure, a new phone, sure, but not one with the direct upgrade name ... it would simply cause too much ill will unneccessarily. Could we see this phone on AT&T? Sure, in fact I hope we do, because I'll buy it immediately. But, I suspect it will be given a different name on any other US network than Verizon.

Why so few changes? Well I have no idea what all is changed, but since we're speculating, let's assume for the sake of argument that very little has changed. Even if it has similar specs I'd imagine that this rework has addressed the Storm 1's problems on the hardware side. Sure, we know they've been working on it on the software side, and some of that goodness will show up in the 5.0 OS, but as long as they are minting a new phone, I'm fairly confident that they've tried to tweak the hardware to AT LEAST address some of the problems plaguing them on the software side.

Remember, RIM's reputation is one of producing rock solid devices--they just work without anything extra needed. The Storm single-handedly destroyed that reputation built on the backs of dozen's of great devices. I'm sure they're working overtime to restore their source of pride--reliability.

I'd think the processor will be beefed up a bit, and hopefully they're smart enough to realize they need more on-device memory or their app world is going to cause more problems than it solves. So those two hardware improvements alone will make this a real beast hardware-wise. I can also see them throwing in a 5 mp camera. This screenshot looks like it was taken a while ago, and stuff gets tweaked and changed during the development cycle. So, while I'd imagine that the phone comes with a 3.2 mp camera, don't be surprised if it shows up with a 5 mp shooter.

As for styling, well I like the way the front and sides look, but the back could use a little improvement, lol. Not like I really care though, because I'll put a hard case on that puppy as soon as possible. But I do like the look of it. Black is always nice to see, and it looks quite blacked out--which is awesome. It's thinner, which I kinda like, but it really isn't a big deal to me at all. Personally, all of these phones are plenty thin for me to carry in my pocket, and if they get any thinner they will start to become harder to hold in my hand, lol.

I like the Storm. If the bugs were worked out (and most people running the higher numbered leaked OS's have considerably fewer problems), I'd buy that on AT&T whenever it comes out and be very happy. If this device comes out on AT&T, even better. I love my Curve, but I've been ready to trade it in for a Storm for a while now ... so as soon as it hits my network, I'll buy it.

Now one last question. What codename is it? Is the Storm 2 the codenamed Magnum? I'm told it isn't. So .... then does the Storm 2 logically go to Verizon and the Magnum is yet another touchberry headed to GSM carriers? I dunno, but I do like what I've seen thus far from this Storm 2. And, I'm very happy to have the pics.

[/END DIGITAL'S WILD SPECULATION]
    05-14-09 08:42 PM
    Hmm. You never know. The 5MP camera might make it into the unit before it actually releases.
    05-14-09 08:43 PM
    A waiting room has been started in the Owner's Lounge, and Radio has had some things to say about it... still cryptic, but kind of dispels/answers some of the speculation here...
    05-14-09 08:47 PM
    It looks like it has a optical input/output on the front left top corner of the phone. I imagine it will be used to connect to a printer with an optical input or even control other devices like maybe a TV (haha) that would be nice though or play music/video through a surround receiver via the optical input. Its probably just another led light which would be redundant. I kind of like having hard buttons especially when my phone freezes, I can just hold the power button down for a few seconds and reset the phone. I can't see the touch buttons having priority over the rest of the screen especially during a freeze. I do like the hidden single latch on the bottom of the battery cover, unlike the original storm which looks like you could hijack a plane with the cover release latches.I wish the whole phone was painted with a flat black powder coat with no chrome. it looks like it has just one speaker on the top of the phone with an adjacent speaker opening on the top rear of the phone. I noticed a place to attach what looks to be a laptop lock.
    Last edited by stormprestige; 05-14-09 at 09:17 PM. Reason: directional correction
    05-14-09 09:11 PM
    I like how the storm now has hard buttons at the bottom.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-09 09:21 PM
    BGR says it's for Verizon and it has WI-FI.

Images of the BlackBerry Storm 2 emerge : Boy Genius Report
    05-14-09 09:21 PM
    Im not impressed, other than the wifi.
    05-14-09 09:25 PM
    Are we sure this isn't the 9520 for At&t? CX?
    05-14-09 09:27 PM

What is this thing in top left corner? (circled)
    05-14-09 09:27 PM
    Looks great a lot better than the iphone. Even though I will not end up buying it I will still try one out when it comes out.

05-14-09 09:28 PM
    the more megapixels doesn't always equate to better quality especially in camera phones, it has to do with the sensor of the camera, i wonder how the "hardware" keys are going to work wonder if its part of the click or its only touch hmmm..its connected though
    05-14-09 09:29 PM
    I think it looks great especially if in an early stage... I personally love my phone (after I upgraded the OS to a leak). I am now torn between a 9630 or a Storm 2 (9930?). Guess we'll have to see what happens! I hate being addicted to Blackberries... gah. :]
    05-14-09 09:30 PM

What is this thing in top left corner? (circled)
    WiFi coverage indicator?!?!?!?!?! hahahaha
    05-14-09 09:31 PM
    I want one!!!!!!!!
    05-14-09 09:32 PM
    Here's a little more info on storm 2:

the screen doesn't move anymore. it still clicks and requires a press, but it doesn't physically press in. it does have wifi the screen is brighter and has better contrast. and here's the cool part...you can type with two fingers on the screen now. you don't have to remove your thumb to press the next key. speed typing tests show typing speeds faster than when using a physical keyboard in over 50% of test users. it's supposed to come out right at the year mark of the storm gen 1.
    05-14-09 09:35 PM
    Here's a little more info on storm 2:

the screen doesn't move anymore. it still clicks and requires a press, but it doesn't physically press in. it does have wifi the screen is brighter and has better contrast. and here's the cool part...you can type with two fingers on the screen now. you don't have to remove your thumb to press the next key. speed typing tests show typing speeds faster than when using a physical keyboard in over 50% of test users. it's supposed to come out right at the year mark of the storm gen 1.
    Ok... that's interesting. Does that mean the screen is going to "flex" then? I don't like the sound of that at all.
    05-14-09 09:38 PM
    If the phone utilized its OpenGL it could easily display video via video cables maybe through USB.

Imagine using your phone for a slideshow without needing a laptop or streaming video from the Storm and watch it on a TV.

I hope that the new one has multiple click sensors instead of the one big one in the middle like we have now.

05-14-09 09:41 PM
    Very hard to get excited about this after the miserable phone known as Storm 1.0. At least for Verizon. Does look nice, dunno if I'd call it an improvement in regards to looks, however.
    05-14-09 09:41 PM
    It's funny reading the responses.

There are those of you who are upset that RIM is (gasp!) continuing development on new and updated models in an industry where 1 year is a long lifespan for a product.

Then there are those of you who are upset that it's not radically different, but rather evolution. If it were radically different it wouldn't be a Storm anymore!

Then there are those who are hung up on Megapixels. First of all, it's a pre-production phone, so who's to say that it will still have the camera pictured? Second of all, please learn about optics and megapixels. If they were to upgrade the sensor to more MP, but retain the same lousy optics then your pictures will be WORSE! I would rather see better optics and fewer MP's. Please don't push for more MP's before better optics....PLEASE!

I could go on, but I won't. Let me just offer what I think.

I'm glad they did away (at this point anyway) with the separated hard buttons and went touch. I said a long, long time ago when the Storm came out that they should have done that or at least had a smooth and flexible cover over the buttons.

While I have never actually needed it, I will be pleased if it has Wi-Fi. If I ever need it once then it will be worth it.

I hope that it is LTE ready when it is released. I will not buy a non LTE capable phone just a couple months before LTE goes online.

I hope that they made changes to the SurePress to make it more dependable. And yes it clearly has some for of it or there would be no gap around the screen.

I love that it's all black, even the convenience buttons!
    05-14-09 09:45 PM
334 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD