Looks like the 5.0 mp camera rumor was just that according to the pics.
    05-14-09 10:20 PM
    Maybe this was covered already, but where sis the speaker on the back go? Is it somewhere else, or is it just gone?
    I THINK it is that gap above the clear plastic covering the camera and flash LED. Right in the middle...
    05-14-09 10:21 PM
    Notice the "Activation Required" on one of the pics. GSM devices usually say "Insert SIM". You better believe its for Verizon.
    Since this is a prototype model, I don't think that it's safe to assume what the "Activation Required" means just yet. It could have something to do with the OS because if you read the text box that is in the pics it talks about reverse engineering the software. I think that it just means the user needs to agree to the terms of the software on the phone. And I have a hunch that this isn't a Storm 2, but the 9520.
    Last edited by legendofdon; 05-14-09 at 10:24 PM.
    I dont believe that one bit. Storm might strictly stick to Verizon in the US if you ask me. They wouldnt release a Storm, then release the Storm 2 to a different carrier. If they're gonna send it to another carrier, it's gonna start with Verizon, then work its way around.
    Why? Don't different carriers have different model numbers of the same phone?

Also, all devices need to be activated initially, prior to inserting the sim. The confusing thing is BGR stating it's going to Verizon, and Engadget saying it's a GSM device. No one knows until there is a shot of the about screen.

Also, isn't the speaker usually on the top of the phone, it is on my 8120.
    Last edited by The_Shawn; 05-14-09 at 10:24 PM.
    I THINK it is that gap above the clear plastic covering the camera and flash LED. Right in the middle...
    Good eye! I didn't see that. Looks like they shrunk it down quite a bit. If in fact that is the rear speaker.
    05-14-09 10:23 PM
    ummmm verizon doesnt make phones, its RIM
    Did you read past the first 2 words? OK...They and RIM both have no clue on how to make the Storm as user friendly and functional as their other phones
    05-14-09 10:24 PM
    Not to wild about the hard buttons moved to the screen, but thats me..
    Why? Don't different carriers have different model numbers of the same phone?

Also, all devices need to be activated initially, prior to inserting the sim. The confusing thing is BGR stating it's going to Verizon, and Engadget saying it's a GSM device. No one knows until there is a shot of the about screen.
    Oh rearry? How exactly do you activate a GSM phone "without" a SIM in it?
    Not to wild about the hard buttons moved to the screen, but thats me..
    Look at it this way.... now they won't snag and fall off anymore. Cheap glue makes for "let's integrate the buttons on the next version".
    05-14-09 10:25 PM
    Oh rearry? How exactly do you activate a GSM phone "without" a SIM in it?
    Gotta agree here, I've gotten NIB GSM phones that, when powered on for the first time, say "Insert SIM." I think that the "Activation Required" has to do with the software that's loaded onto this test device.
    05-14-09 10:26 PM
    What is it that they say"Fool me Once" Bro they won't get another chance to do that $hit.

George
    05-14-09 10:27 PM
    Look at it this way.... now they won't snag and fall off anymore. Cheap glue makes for "let's integrate the buttons on the next version".
    haha, nice..trial and error
    05-14-09 10:28 PM
    Good point. Didnt look at it that way. Im sure it will grow on me like most new things do..
    Radio and CX are desperately needed here. LOL.
    First thought: I dont see a slider.
    Wanna slider?
    Get an iphone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-09 10:29 PM
    Gotta agree here, I've gotten NIB GSM phones that, when powered on for the first time, say "Insert SIM." I think that the "Activation Required" has to do with the software that's loaded onto this test device.
    The phone was activated before you received it. Maybe I worded that incorrectly, it needs to be activated prior to use.

I agree though, this looks like a software activation.
    05-14-09 10:30 PM
    Looks good everyone. It is defiantly wider and longer, just look at the size of the app icons. The text isn't as bunched up as it is on our current Storms. I know there was a ? about that earlier so I thought I would offer my opinion.

Can't wait. I'm going to be selective in my beliefs and believe BGR because they said Verizon and WiFi which is all I have been waiting for.

However, what is with these posts I have read who say the screen doesn't click. That doesn't make much sense to me. I thought that was the whole reason RIM's touchscreen separated them from the rest. In fact I know that is why I and everyone prefers typing on the Storm over any other touch screen device.

Nothing to do now but wait for more info and hopefully a release date before the Tour comes out so I can decide what to do.....Peace boys
    05-14-09 10:31 PM
    I dont believe that one bit. Storm might strictly stick to Verizon in the US if you ask me. They wouldnt release a Storm, then release the Storm 2 to a different carrier. If they're gonna send it to another carrier, it's gonna start with Verizon, then work its way around.
    I hear what you are saying but remember that it being exclusive to only verizon will only hurt Rim in terms of sales. There were other networks who wanted to get the Storm but due to contractual obligations they couldn't release the storm 1 on other networks. Now with the Storm 2 they have the freedom to do it. Plus from the specs that i am reading about it GSM + Wifi not characteristics of a verizon release.
    05-14-09 10:32 PM
    The resolution looks like it got increased. The camera didn't. I'm reliant on my camera on phones.. I need to always have a camera on me but, not a actual camera. I was expecting to see the 5MP camera on the Storm 2 from a rumor. The one thing that still annoys me from since I had to storm was..I don't understand why there is a spacing from the end of the touch screen to the physical keys. I wish that RIM would use this essential space to increase the touch screen size and to allow a greater use other than a blank black spacing thats just there.
    05-14-09 10:36 PM
    Ask your source to send in more info!

-----> I want to know how much FREE APPLICATION MEMORY this thing has! <----------
    05-14-09 10:38 PM
    i really hope this one has wi-fi!
    My theory is that this is not a Storm 2. As radio said in another thread, its more of an upgrade to something like 1.2. That is why I think that it's the 9520 because if it has a better touchscreen, and they have added wifi, that's not really enough to make it a second gen device.

To compare, going from the 8300 (no GPS, no WiFi) to the 8900 (GPS, WiFi, more memory, better hardware) is going to a second gen. Going from the 8300 to the 8310 (just adding GPS) isn't really going to a second gen.

As for the looks, just look at the 8330 compared to the other 83XX models. It doesn't look exactly the same, but it's still in the 83XX series, so that is why I think this is a 95XX series device, which won't go to Verizon since they already have their 95XX device.
    Deffinetly looks alot sleeker with the buttons being part of the screen, **** I wish my storm was like that
    05-14-09 10:39 PM
    im not impressed at all. what we need is MORE buttons not less. and how hard would it be to throw a trackball on this bad boy? like really? its 2009...cars are flying in japan...can a get a frickin trackball?
    05-14-09 10:45 PM
    If this is the 9520, it'll **** off a lot more people then if this was VZW's Storm 2. I know I'd be ticked.... why should the GSM Storm be better then the Storm we got? That makes current Storm owners even more so guinea pigs. I'll take one CDMA Storm 2 please....
    05-14-09 10:46 PM
334 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD