OS upgrades are always free... are they not?

Highly doubt they will be giving away free Storm 2's to current Storm owners.
    Agreed, I don't see that happening either...
    05-14-09 07:38 PM
    WiFi???
    05-14-09 07:39 PM
    So how much would it be to get this phone if I am not in line for a free upgrade would there be any cancellation fee or what's the deal?
    05-14-09 07:40 PM
    So how much would it be to get this phone if I am not in line for a free upgrade would there be any cancellation fee or what's the deal?
    we don't even know if this will be out on the same networks yet, just because storm 1 is on the network does not mean that storm 2 will be as well
    05-14-09 07:42 PM
    Well, if your car really sucked and had multiple issues, would you not expect something then?
    If it were a true lemon, then yes... I would contact the appropriate people.

However, not EVERYONE'S Storm totally sucks and has multiple issues. Certainly not enough to warrant calling them "lemons". The percentage of "horrible" Storms compared to number of Storms sold is probably quite small... really. But it still would not warrant me getting a FREE Storm 2. Do I think that people should be given the option to upgrade to a Storm 2 if they have gone through MULTIPLE Storms and would like a new phone altogether? Sure. Verizon does that now for completely unsatisfied customers-- allows them to go to something like the Curve instead. But remember... the Curve is also cheaper in price. If they want to give these same people the option to go to a Storm 2 instead, then great! But I don't see them doing it for free... I see some kind of upgrade price involved maybe. Who knows? I don't work for Verizon, so I can't make any factual statements about this.

I'm just saying that I don't feel Verizon is obligated to give every Storm owner the option of upgrading for free or at a discount. They have no reason to feel obligated to do that. Just my opinion.
    05-14-09 07:43 PM
    Well, it does say Activation Required which does hint CDMA... BUT, Engadget says GSM and Wifi...
    05-14-09 07:43 PM
    I can't wait to see mor eon this in the form of specs or changes over Storm 1.

No, you're not going to get it for free just because you bought the first one, geez.

Some of you say it doesn't look any different except for the buttons on the bottom. Umm, how much different do you want it to look and them still call it a Storm? I just don't see them going to a completely revamped design for a 2nd version of a device.

Hopefully they will make some needed hardware changes and hopefully include wifi. I can't help but think they're going to leave wifi off of it (for CDMA anyway) because we proved with the 1st one that we would buy it anyway! Noooooooooo!!! I hope that doesn't effect it
    05-14-09 07:44 PM
    All phones have to be activated initially. After it has been activated it will ask for the sim card to be inserted, if required. Which I hope it is, Rogers is killing me with the lack of the Storm line of phones.

Dynot, that made me laugh, but id this was another 9520 fiasco, I'd cry... lol
    Last edited by The_Shawn; 05-14-09 at 07:50 PM.
    05-14-09 07:44 PM
    Ok. Now I'm pissed. Depending on when they release this thing, this could really **** off a lot of users. Many of us storm users are locked into a 2 year contract with our carriers (verizon) and its only been half a year since the first storm was released.

RIM has yet to provide a solid OS for the 1st Gen storm and now they have a slimmer, sleeker and sexier looking version? Before you comment that it's not RIM's fault, yes it is. Verizon doesn't want to accept an OS build that is lacking. I see no improvement on the use of colors in the device. The storm still only plays 1 sound at a time and is riddled with memory leaks. The hardware is capable of much more.

I see this motion as a smack in the face to the current storm enthusiasts that have stuck in there waiting patiently for an improvement to the current device. Being that the 9630 has an identical chipset as a 95XX, there shouldn't be much of a hardware upgrade in the Storm v2. It would be just our luck that this particular model is being developed for AT&T. But they have enough issues with the Bold as it is with dropped calls.
    Last edited by zeiroe; 05-14-09 at 07:52 PM.
    05-14-09 07:49 PM
    Looks sleeker than storm 1 hopefully they release it with stable software
    05-14-09 07:50 PM
    I was very disappointed by this.
    Typically, I find myself to be content with RIM because it has proven to be a great company.

A 3.2 megapixel camera?
    Well, the best phones now have a 5 mp camera. In fact, I'm betting that by the time the storm 2 comes out the latest phones will come with 5 mp cameras.

And overall, it doesn't seem like it has changed that much.
    From the photo it seemed longer... will that help at all? And if it is longer won't the image be distorted because it isn't as wide?

And shouldn't it be a little wider in order to accommodate for better portrait typing?

I'm betting that it will be neither touch nor surepress. It may be something that feels like it has pressed. Someone in the forum has created a screen cover that will do just that.

Honestly? It seems like a slightly edited storm 1 that should launch with a better OS.

* I did not read all of the thread before posting*
    I really really hope this doesn't go to VZW. But then again I'm on ATT so I don't think it'd be going there either because I'm sure Apple won't hear of them stocking a direct competitor to their iPhone. I'll just keep hoping until more info comes out.
    I love it! Hopefully they kept surepress and fixed the dust issue under the screen.
    05-14-09 07:51 PM
    I hope it changes dramatically before the actual release. I'm not impressed so far. I'm hoping this Storm 2 excitement might bring on a Storm 1 OS leak soon!
    05-14-09 07:53 PM
    I'm hoping this Storm 2 excitement might bring on a Storm 1 OS leak soon!
    How about an official one, oh wait that's right they did it's called the Storm 2, run out and buy it because the a$$hats at Verizon would rather sell you something than spend time and money to fix something you already bought. F My Life, I hate you Verizon!!!
    05-14-09 08:04 PM
    I hope it changes dramatically before the actual release. I'm not impressed so far. I'm hoping this Storm 2 excitement might bring on a Storm 1 OS leak soon!
    Yeah, me too. Just glancing at the pictures, I noticed a rubberized coating over the buttons, some kind of port on the bottom right hand side, and what I think is a proximity sensor to the left of the ear piece. Hope it has wifi. Not very excited �

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    why would they do this so soon after the first one -.-
    i just got mine 2 months ago -__-
    Ewww the camera didn't get a upgrade =(

05-14-09 08:07 PM
    Yeah, me too. Just glancing at the pictures, I noticed a rubberized coating over the buttons, some kind of port on the bottom right hand side, and what I think is a proximity sensor to the left of the ear piece. Hope it has wifi. Not very excited �

That would be for the lanyard.
    05-14-09 08:08 PM
    I might point out to Storm owners who are ticked off, a lot of people here said NOT to buy it and to wait. You didn't--and now you're ticked at RIM cause you decided to buy a POS phone?
    05-14-09 08:08 PM
    That would be for the lanyard.
    lol! A port to receive...a nylon string??
    05-14-09 08:10 PM
    It's not a port. Look again. It is the piece that you would hook a lanyard to. If you look closely, you can tell.
    05-14-09 08:11 PM
    why would they do this so soon after the first one -.-
    i just got mine 2 months ago -__-
    Storm was originally released Nov 21st. Fall would place it about the 12 month timeline. I hate to say this but....

That's the shelf life of an iPhone in an AT&T store.

I will prolly take the same approach my friend (iPhone 2G) and my gf (iPhone 3G) are taking. My bud didn't jump from 2G to 3G because there wasn't enough of a hardware upgrade. My gf prolly won't go from her 3G to whatever comes out this summer for the similar reasons.

If there isn't a significant hardware upgrade (and no, WiFi doesn't count for me), then I'll prolly stick with my current Storm
    05-14-09 08:11 PM
    It's not a port is my point, it looks to me to be where the lanyard goes.
    05-14-09 08:12 PM
    I will travel back in time to destroy the original storms creator so that in reality, the phone will never had been created and we will never have gone through all this headache and agony...
    or maybe Ive just been watching waaaay to much LOST.
    05-14-09 08:12 PM
334 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD