Hey,

Holy ****, there is a lot of versions of firmware for this thing.

Somebody told me to upgrade to version 90, I did some research, and there's like 1001 versions...

This is what I found so far:
    4.0.7.75 is the latest blackberry official version...but...

there also exists unofficial versions (from where?) such as:

Those are all un-official, right? Who are they from, just community driven upgrades, also, I am willing to use an unofficial one (if it's more functional) as it seems you can revert it with ease...I love the storm, but the firmware def. needs some help in .75 (GUI lags mostly).

Anybody have any input for me here, I'm lost in a sea of versions.

I also heard that upgrading unofficial voids your warranty - I have Verizon - I'm not sure how true that is, clarification?

Thanks in advance, I'm sorry if this has been posted, but I searched the forums and didn't find anything, after like 30 minutes on google with no solid results except from news telling which firmware versions have leaked...
    02-18-09 07:35 PM
    The current OS available for the 9530 are:
    .65 (VZW Official)
    .75 (VZW Official)
    .76 (Bell Mobility Official)
    .83 (Unofficial)
    .85 (Unofficial)
    .86 (Unofficial)
    .90 (Unofficial)
    .99 (Unofficial)
    .103 (Unofficial)
    .106 (Unofficial)

All of the OS mentioned above were created by RIM. The installation and usage of an unofficial OS will not void your warranty. If you are afraid of having a leaked OS on your device you can always revert to the last official before sending it back or taking it to the store. I am currently using .103 on my storm and can say that it is a great improvement from .75 and a very solid build for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-09 02:28 AM
    Sorry I'm new to this. How do I get firwares for my phone. I have 4.7.0.75 and would like to upgrade mine. I hate the fact that it takes time to go from one app to the other.
    02-19-09 03:53 PM
    go to the Storm Beta OS Discussion forum - plenty of links in there...
    Last edited by stormwatcher; 02-19-09 at 04:17 PM. Reason: wrong information
    02-19-09 04:16 PM
    I'm sort of new here too...does this forum have any sort of search function? [/sarcasm]
    02-19-09 04:28 PM
    Are these OS versions made FOR the storm, or just BB's in general? My largest problem is GUI lag and some touch issues (it threw a few exceptions that went uncaught, too), but like, the bold doesn't have these issues, they're mostly due to the accelerometer/tilt sensor, so if they're just OS upgrades it doesn't mean a lot, but if they were made FOR the storm, that's a different story.

Any answers to that? I'll look at the storm OS discussion forum as far as acquiring and loading it go...

Also, can anybody tell me how it allocates space? Like, what gets sent to your SD card, and what gets saved to the onboard ROM? IE. Are like apps included in your OS installation therefore saved to the ROM? Or are certain things extra...? Or how does that work as far as upgrades go?

Thanks all for your prompt and helpful replies.
    02-19-09 10:18 PM
    Anybody have any opinions on those 2 questions (in the post above)?
    02-21-09 11:01 PM
    Are these OS versions made FOR the storm, or just BB's in general? My largest problem is GUI lag and some touch issues (it threw a few exceptions that went uncaught, too), but like, the bold doesn't have these issues, they're mostly due to the accelerometer/tilt sensor, so if they're just OS upgrades it doesn't mean a lot, but if they were made FOR the storm, that's a different story.

Any answers to that? I'll look at the storm OS discussion forum as far as acquiring and loading it go...

Also, can anybody tell me how it allocates space? Like, what gets sent to your SD card, and what gets saved to the onboard ROM? IE. Are like apps included in your OS installation therefore saved to the ROM? Or are certain things extra...? Or how does that work as far as upgrades go?

Thanks all for your prompt and helpful replies.
    Unless you do a search and try to find the answer first, you are not likely to get many answers to your questions. Most will be answered in the "Storm Beta OS Discussion" thread

Briefly:

Specific OS for each model of BB

OS and Apps go to phone memory, pics, music, etc. will go to media card as long as you specify that as the option.
    02-21-09 11:43 PM

The OS versions that I listed above are made specifically for the 9530 version of the storm. Like any OS update, while trying to find fixes for one problem, another might arise. I have been using the storm since launch with each of the OS that have leaked and have only noticed a problem with lag on a few of the releases. I am currently using the .103 release and find it to be a fairly solid build.

The way that things are stored on the storm is the following:
    1) Apps are stored to the device memory.
    2) System files are stored to the device memory.
    3) Pictures, music, ringtones, videos and voice notes can be stored to the device or media card memory depending on where you have them set.
    4) Mail and other messages are stored to the device memory.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 11:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD