Hey guys. I'm new around here, but you guys have been a huge help thus far. I'm just wondering if Firefox is available for the storm? Or if you all just use the standard blackberry browser or if there is something better out there i should download.
    let me know what you think. thanks!
    12-30-08 03:08 PM
    f-fox is already one of the built-in browser options for the storm

open your browser>menu>options>browser configuration>choose firefox
    Last edited by leo1055; 12-30-08 at 03:12 PM.
    12-30-08 03:10 PM
    try Opera Mini, it's not bloated

Is a bit quirky atm till they put out a storm update though.
    12-30-08 03:10 PM
    Not yet and searching will provide the answers you seek.

Most crackberry users like Opera which you can find here

But seriously in all due respects searching could have easily given you all of this information.
    12-30-08 03:11 PM
    Firefox is just the emulation the browser will not be coming for quite a while
    12-30-08 03:14 PM
    f-fox is already one of the built-in browser options for the storm

open your browser>menu>options>browser configuration>choose firefox
    Please include a screenshot.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it's not out yet.
    12-30-08 03:16 PM

you're right - sorry, I realized after I tried it that it isn't yet a real browser

12-30-08 03:18 PM
    It's OK - I am looking forward to it, so I scurried to my phone fast to quadruple check.
    12-30-08 03:23 PM
    It's OK - I am looking forward to it, so I scurried to my phone fast to quadruple check.
    sorry for getting your hopes up unnecessarily!
    12-30-08 03:30 PM
    I spoke to one of the devs via email. He said not anytime soon.
    12-30-08 03:36 PM
    I spoke to one of the devs via email. He said not anytime soon.
    Definitely not any time soon. It's in very early alpha at the moment.
    12-30-08 03:43 PM
    There is unlikely ever to be a Firefox like browser for the Storm. I'm not saying it's impossible, or will never be done, but the Gecko engine that powers Firefox is written in C\C++, and everything for the Storm has to be written in Java. The two languages are similar enough that if you know one picking up the other is fairly easy, but it would be a very considerable undertaking to port a program the size of Frenic to the Storm.

Right now the mobile version of Firefox will only be released for WinMo phones. The Jesus Phone is unlikely since Apple will never allow any competition to Safari, and Google's Android is also a Java platform like the BB OS.

Really, our best bet is someone taking the Webkit port used in Google's Android, adapting it to work on the Storm, and creating a browser around it. For those that don't know, Webkit is the rendering engine used in Apple's Safari both on OS X and the Jesus Phone. It's also the engine used in Google's Chrome browser, and the browser in the Android platform. It also has a very close cousin in KHTML, which technically gave birth to Webkit a few years back. It's not always quite as capable as Gecko which is what's used in Firefox, but it is pretty good.

Anyway... No point getting your hopes up for a mobile firefox for the Storm, because it probably won't be happening... Ever.
    12-30-08 04:05 PM
    I have a few issues with Opera Mini on the BB Storm:

1) Can not zoom a page
    2) Does not recognize the screen clicking. You have to touch the link with a certain amount of pressure.
    3) Symbols and 123 Keyboards are not recognized.

TheWitness
    12-30-08 07:57 PM
    I have found on a couple of sites if you hold your finger on the screen it sometimes zooms.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 08:26 PM
    Opera mini sucks...you misewell use standard browser till they update opera for the storm. Anyone claiming its better is just striving to be different. Our phone just came out give it another month and I bet something better will be out by opera or the stock will be improved via updates.

12-30-08 09:10 PM
    Firefox is just the emulation the browser will not be coming for quite a while

Definitely not any time soon. It's in very early alpha at the moment.
    The firefox browser for mobile devices is called fennec. They have some releases to test on your pc and it actually seems pretty nice. It is still in the very early stages and I highly doubt that it will be coded in java (because java sucks, A LOT, other than the portability) so it will have to be ported to java, all in all its just going to be a long time for blackberry users.
    12-30-08 09:11 PM
    Are you sure you are not merely switching to mobile view when you hold your finger down? I think you likely are.

12-30-08 09:14 PM
    I am satisfied with the bb browser except for the keyboard lag. I suspect that if text input boxes would pop up their own window like the opera browser, the lag would be eliminated. I'd gladly take the inconvenience of a text input window popping up over this damned lag. When opera mini comes out for storm we will all be happy. We'll still have our bb browsers to go back to if pages don't load right on opera.

Last edited by rednukleus; 12-30-08 at 09:30 PM.
    12-30-08 09:25 PM
    Wow... came to this thread expecting an update because there wasn't a ? in the title.
    12-30-08 10:02 PM
    Wow... came to this thread expecting an update because there wasn't a ? in the title.
    thats two of us.
    12-30-08 10:03 PM
    atlast he didnt use an ! like some people do which makes it evn worse.

as far as opera mini, its awesome! but SUCKS for the storm currently. its so bad i wont even use it. it makes you realize how awesome the click screen is. but even so, its still bad. it was clearly made to work with the trackball.
    12-30-08 11:09 PM
    Whoever says opera mini is better right now is full of it. Until they release a version for the storm its worthless.

12-30-08 11:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD