I desperately want Firefox on the blackberry!!!!! is it around yet?
    03-05-09 12:21 PM
    I desperately want Firefox on the blackberry!!!!! is it around yet?
    ummmm my BB Storm has it. when you go under options in the browser you see the option to use BBbrower, Internet Explorer or Firefox
    03-05-09 12:27 PM
    ummmm my BB Storm has it. when you go under options in the browser you see the option to use BBbrower, Internet Explorer or Firefox
    That's not the actual browser. its just the browser identification. so if you set it to internet explorer or firefox you always get the full webpage and not the mobile view..but i could be wrong

and to answer the question firefox mobile isn't out yet i think sometime in 2010 it will be released
    03-05-09 12:36 PM
    Actually that's just compatibility mode not the actual firefox browser. When I spoke with one of the Mozilla devs they said they had no current plans for a Java based firefox browser unless a Java coder was willing to work on it. Since all the code for fennec is available, they are only currently working on the WinMo and Symbian version of fennec firefox.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 12:37 PM
    Long story short... No it's not working, and sadly, probably never will. Porting Firefox and then maintaining it, would be a full time job for a small team of programmers.

Firefox is written in C++ and Storm apps are in Java. So, think of it like translating an ever changing document from French to Italian. Even though there are a lot of similar elements to the languages, it would still be a massive undertaking.
    03-05-09 01:10 PM
    thats a big bummer :-( i really wanted it.. i use a plug in for my Volkswagen forums called firevortex. and it would be ******* sweeet if i could run it on my phone
    03-05-09 02:05 PM
    Long story short... No it's not working, and sadly, probably never will. Porting Firefox and then maintaining it, would be a full time job for a small team of programmers.

Firefox is written in C++ and Storm apps are in Java. So, think of it like translating an ever changing document from French to Italian. Even though there are a lot of similar elements to the languages, it would still be a massive undertaking.
    Thank you for that explanation. The only explanation I've heard up till now was "No, it won't be released for the BB." At least I now know why.
    03-05-09 02:07 PM
    thats a big bummer :-( i really wanted it..
    I'd love to have it too, but I doubt they're porting the extension framework in Fennec. Clearly some things will have to go to get the size of the browser down.
    03-05-09 02:08 PM
    I would pay if someone was willing to port it...and it worked better than Opera.

03-05-09 02:14 PM
    i think the BB stock browser is better than opera in my opinion.... fut firefox.. oh man..... did u guys watch the demonstartion of it on the ghuys computer? its amasing!! the zoom in zoom out BS and all that good stuff
    03-05-09 02:34 PM
    that's pretty sweet
    03-05-09 03:01 PM
    i think the BB stock browser is better than opera in my opinion.... fut firefox.. oh man..... did u guys watch the demonstartion of it on the ghuys computer? its amasing!! the zoom in zoom out BS and all that good stuff
    Please tell me where I can see that.
    03-05-09 03:11 PM

Uhh c plus plus isn't that different from java. I'm a student programmer and I do both. Its similar in fact, c plus plus is easier to write than java imo. But I'm not a expert programmer so idk just my two cents.

03-05-09 03:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD