ok i have to newbie questions

how do i go about getting this new leak?? does anyone have a link to to the leak or what??? and once i get the link and decided if i want to do a clean wipe to my phone how do i go about doing that as well. sorry still pretty new to the blackberry and looking foward to this leak because im having the "hard" key issues and as of right now im having pretty bad lag from just typing in landscape and going from "abc" to "123"
    Last edited by peedi; 12-16-09 at 05:40 PM.
    12-16-09 05:38 PM
    Finally got a hold of a PC and installed it. Gotta say, it is pretty good. I have to get used to this new blue glow though...I dont know if I like how it spills over into the text box now; in due time I think I'll get over it :P

I have the Bing problem though...no biggie. I'm not gonna freak the **** out about it like other people lol

Nice job, RIM...now lets see an official one
    12-16-09 05:41 PM
    I keep getting a "This is a Wi-fi service. Ensure your devise has an active wi-Fi connection and try again" message when I go to click on a link. Anybody getting this? and how would I fix it? Thanks in advance.
    12-16-09 05:53 PM
    Go to your browser settings and change hotspot to internet browsing, i think the default setting was accidently set to hotspot browsing.
    12-16-09 06:05 PM
    so nobody gonna tell me where i can download the leak from
    12-16-09 06:13 PM
    12-16-09 06:15 PM
    Deleted my old installation. Deleted the vendor xml file. Downloaded .428, installed through apploader. No hiccups, no problem!

All my programs and data were intact, no problem. The blue glow when texting is a little weird, but ok. Phone is responsive; on .230 if I tried to answer a call while I was texting, it would "lock up" on me, telling me that "phone is in use...". The only fix or way that I could answer or make a call was a reboot. Fixed for me on .428. Lost several important calls on .230...so far, so good!

Running stock theme, so no theme issues. Still can't delete/change the "callback number" display line in SMS...I really wish I could SEE more than one line while texting!!! (I like to send long texts...and sometimes need to read my own notes while composing!)

The .428 radio seems a little weaker...I seem to have fewer bars indoors in some places than before. Don't know yet if it is just an issue with the signal display, or whether the radio IS weaker than .230. The free QuickPull doesn't work anymore...oh well! Otherwise, seems like a great build.
    12-16-09 06:57 PM
    I only have Bing option under my browser address bar. I have to select Bookmark to open Link and view the following quick link: Yahoo, Google, Ebay, and wikipedia.

Im able to delete application like myspace, yahoo messenger, window live messenger, bing, verizon app's, from my services book. I pulled the battery 4 times and even use meterberry reset and those app never came back. good new for me.
    12-16-09 07:06 PM
    thanks for the info but i tryed the leak with loader but still the same issue
    12-16-09 07:07 PM
    Hi there. Thanks for the quick response. Where is this apploader at? I cant seem to find it anywhere. Im missing something I see. Agggh
    EDIT
    I found the app loader. I thought it was a seperate program. I was on the Application loader on DM and tried to update my OS that way to begin with but it doesnt work well for me
    Slow down, one at a time. Assuming you haven't resolved this yet, a brief tutorial:

1. Launch DM. Backup/Restore-> Backup. Save to desktop. Close DM when complete.
    2. Browse to c:/program files/common files/research in motion/apploader 0> locate and double click LOADER.EXE. You'll be hand-held through the process from there.
    12-16-09 07:10 PM
    I'm sure its been covered many times, but in a nutshell how I do it from my Vista based laptop:
    1. dl leak
    2. run leak to install files
    3. turn off wifi in laptop
    4. plug in phone
    5. close desktop manager when it pops up from phone plugging in
    6. navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    7. run loader.exe
    8. follow its instructions (note I only have the current leak so it doesnt prompt what version to install, it just picks the new one it sees on my harddrive)

Thats all I do. Never bricked a phone yet... Installed all the leaks for the Storm1 and now the Storm2 one.
    Good luck!
    Sorry but you neglected an important step: BACKING UP! Launch DM, Backup/Restore-> Backup and save it to your desktop so it's easy to restore.
    12-16-09 07:13 PM
    Sorry but you neglected an important step: BACKING UP! Launch DM, Backup/Restore-> Backup and save it to your desktop so it's easy to restore.
    the golden step/rules before making any changes in bb.
    12-16-09 07:16 PM
    I can change the protocol again now for my hotmail account. .320 only allowed POP3. Nice to have sync'd read messages like on the latest S1 update.
    12-16-09 07:47 PM
    There's been a few problems with speed dial connecting with the wrong # or not working at all with some users. Be sure to do a complete wipe and/or re-install the OS. Complete with a battery pull.

Hope it works out more smoothly for you!

Please do not tell people to wipe and reload the OS to fix the speed dial issue. This alone will not solve the problem and merely takes a lot of time and energy. I have done this and initially was not getting speed dial issues. After loading my apps and a few themes, doing a few batt pulls and resending service books the problem resurfaced. At some point I will go back, wipe and reload and then add the apps and themes one by one to see when the problem develops.
    12-16-09 07:49 PM
    Don't know if this has been mentioned or not but my radar maps on the internet now DO update when "animate" is selected. This does not happen in .320
    Overall this is the best leak I have ever used on any BB. ALL IMPROVEMENTS WITH NO SACRIFICES.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

12-16-09 08:05 PM
    Slow down, one at a time. Assuming you haven't resolved this yet, a brief tutorial:

1. Launch DM. Backup/Restore-> Backup. Save to desktop. Close DM when complete.
    2. Browse to c:/program files/common files/research in motion/apploader 0> locate and double click LOADER.EXE. You'll be hand-held through the process from there.
    Simply turning your internet connection off on your laptop or pc will let you use DM to load the OS. Easier concept for some people.

12-16-09 08:55 PM
    how do you get the "iphone" letters to pop up?? i think i did the update right, i got the aol, yahoo widgets, when i go to sms text the keyboard is automatically hidden.
    12-16-09 09:35 PM
    Great upgrade...as others, bottom buttons work, does seem to be faster response times, including browser, so everything looks good....except.....I use the bedside mode feature and when I put it in the charging cradle, it goes dim for a few seconds as it should, but then comes back to full brightness, including the bottom buttons, just as if it's not in bedside mode. I checked all my settings, battery pull, etc, but still does it. Any suggestions? Not real crazy about having a flashlight shining at me from my night stand!
    Anyone else reporting this problem? I'm still awaiting my BB2 to arrive, but for me the Bedside mode is very important!
    12-16-09 09:51 PM
    Tried both methods listed here, and neither AppLoader nor DM "sees" the new OS so I cannot get the leak installed.
    12-16-09 10:46 PM
    Why do people always says delete the vendor file? I have done all my leaks on S1 and now on S2, I never had any issue installing or trouble with the OS other than the known bugs. What is the purpose of the vendor file? and how would it effect me if I didn't delete it?

PS. I would really like to know the answer, not trying to be smart about it.. as I know some people tend to read between the line.
    Because a lot of times, BB users will install an OS that was released for another carrier instead of their own. So instead of waiting on the "official" update from their own carrier, users will just download the update from another carrier, delete the Vendor file & update their OS.

The reason you dont have to with leaks like this is because, well, they're leaks & not released from a specific carrier.

BUT, its still a good practice to delete the Vendor file no matter what if you're one to be installing OS upgrades of any kind on your own.
    12-16-09 10:51 PM
    Anyone else reporting this problem? I'm still awaiting my BB2 to arrive, but for me the Bedside mode is very important!
    Working fine for me. Goodnight.
    12-16-09 11:00 PM
    Stang68, thanks! That's heartening to hear!
    12-17-09 12:11 AM
    Phew ... 17 pages of this when I went to bed last night and 34 this morning!!

I'm a uk Vodafone user and managed the install from the download with no problems.

'About' now shows me v5.0.0.341 and Platform 4.2.0.146.

Any changes aren't immediately apparent to me .... other than I don't see the pop up indicator when you type that you have been talking about and somebody back around page 15 posted pix of.

If I go options/screen keyboard I don't see any option that looks like it will activate the pop up key indicator.

Any ideas anybody?

Tks

Phil
    12-17-09 02:15 AM
    Just a minute .... 545 ..... 428 .... different releases?

Bothe for the Storm 2 by the looks of it.

Confused from UK!
    12-17-09 02:35 AM
    I upgraded to .428 right at the moment it was released. Been upgrading OS'es with my 8900 almost weekly and never had a single problem.

Only problem with the Storm2 OS upgrade was a white screen JVM ERROR at boot and results in endless reboot. Had to use BBSAK/apploader to load the OS and not restore my apps and data (had to start from scratch). I think it was because I was using a 3rd party theme when I upgraded.

Anyway, except for the absence of Enhanced Google Mail, everything is almost better. It's faster, KB ghosting is there, option to use enter key in sending SMS or not, option to show what email accounts shows up in Messages, icon updates in home screen, etc and NONE of the problems mentioned here in this thread.

I am also getting the network registration message each time I re-boot and a question if I would like to automatically select GSM or CDMA bands (not a big deal and I'm on a GSM network). There's also a Sandbox/WAP icon which I never had in .328.

Overall a worthy upgrade from the crap .328!
    12-17-09 04:26 AM
668 ... 1819202122 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD