I put a post out several days ago and said that I was still running the original firmware. Today I got bored and decided that I would try out .517.

So far I am very happy with the move. It is just much better then .320. If that's what your still on then its a good idea to switch.

Some things that I notice

- Much quicker lock button
    - No keypad sticking (before I had problems when the storm was on its back, but no longer)
    - screen seems to click more smoothley when typeing

Overall everthing is just a bit more quick

Its to soon to tell on my battery life, but so far so good

I will post back here in several hours to update

Btw I'm on an unlocked storm 2, and if anyone is wondering the phone stays unlocked... Just thought you may want to know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BBBowner; 03-24-10 at 05:14 PM.
    03-24-10 05:07 PM
    please post back in a few days, also, to remark on battery life or any "gotchas", or other positive aspects you find of 517, ok?
    03-24-10 05:09 PM
    glad to hear it! No reason not to get better running software on the phone
    03-24-10 05:21 PM
    Yeah...I just upgraded from .320 several days ago. I "did" have about a fifty percent chance of my menu & back button freezing on .320. But with .517, I have had "NO" button freeze. Everything about the touch screen is more responsive (peppy, if you will).
    I'm still playing around with other functions (don't find that the pop-up letters are much to scream about).
    The only reason I decided to upgrade was to see if my button problem would still be there. It's 100% funtional now.
    03-24-10 05:52 PM
    Any memory issues? I have a memory leak for the first time in a long time. Was at 105 and got down to 66.6 before resetting. Now back to 104.5 but didn't do anything but install .517. Haven't had a leak in months before this.
    03-24-10 06:23 PM
    No memory issues here (although I only have like 3 third party apps installed). Been holding steady at 129.6 for days.
    03-24-10 06:33 PM
    Well i just charged the batteyr up fully and will post back sometime tomorrow how it lasted...

No memory leak problems for me so far ( Never really been a huge problem for me in the past either.) Knock on wood

Still playing around with the New OS though it looks very solid!
    03-24-10 07:42 PM
    I'm curious to know where you downloaded it from. Today, I had decided I might give it a whirl (on .320 now) and went to the SaskTelus site....FIVE HOURS TO DOWNLOAD?? I tried four times and once, it was 12 hours...unreal...about 2kbs download speed. Is there someplace better?
    03-24-10 07:59 PM
    03-24-10 08:20 PM
    Thank you, mischiefse, but unfortunately, that's the same place I tried multiple times earlier. I just tried three more times...fastest time I could get was about 5 KB/s. HOURS to download 109MB file. I give up!

03-24-10 08:33 PM
    used this link MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    download took 5min.
    upgrade took about 25min preserved all my apps : )
    Seems faster than 320 still testing
    03-24-10 09:59 PM
    Thank you! MUCH better!

used this link MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    download took 5min.
    upgrade took about 25min preserved all my apps : )
    Seems faster than 320 still testing
    03-24-10 10:22 PM
    I think I'm going to give it a try.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-24-10 10:28 PM
    I put a post out several days ago and said that I was still running the original firmware. Today I got bored and decided that I would try out .517.

So far I am very happy with the move. It is just much better then .320. If that's what your still on then its a good idea to switch.

Some things that I notice

- Much quicker lock button
    - No keypad sticking (before I had problems when the storm was on its back, but no longer)
    - screen seems to click more smoothley when typeing

Overall everthing is just a bit more quick

Its to soon to tell on my battery life, but so far so good

I will post back here in several hours to update

Btw I'm on an unlocked storm 2, and if anyone is wondering the phone stays unlocked... Just thought you may want to know.

Also fixed the WeatherBerry updating to home screen.
    03-25-10 07:18 AM
    Thank you! MUCH better!
    that was the same link i gave you! lol
    03-25-10 03:10 PM
    I've been listening to the 9550 guru listening to the 9550 gurus and they been saying that any upgrade, hybrid or leaked, can't be bad. They're right. Matt said to download a hybrid and that would solve my key problems and he was right. I don't want to replace my brand new phone with a refurb or reman if I don't have to. Love the advice.
    03-25-10 06:00 PM
    Going back to 320 I'm having hard time with the talk and end keys they don't press sometimes
    03-25-10 08:03 PM
    well its been a day and the battery life is pretty good. I never really faced major issues with it dieing to fast but it lasts even longer now on .517

My phone has been on since 6am and the battery is still at 40%

Oh yes and the best best thing about the firmware is this!!!!!!!!!!!

Im on ATT with an unlocked storm so when i use to connect to a wifi network the browser would dissapear until i restarted the phone. Then I was able to surf the web on thru wifi, but now my phone does not lose the browser icon anymore and the service books stay put!!!

Im happy about this anyways!
    I dont know why it use to do this, but now its no longer a pain
    03-25-10 10:35 PM
    The only problem I had with the .517 was the battery life. Seems everyone here is really split. Some experienced better battery life, others had horrible battery life. Mine was frakking terrible on phone calls. A couple calls and I was in the yellow. .517 would also lag a bit every once in a while and for whatever reason, I would suddenly lose 1.6 - 1.9 MB at the end of the day. Not a huge leak, but I had never experienced that before.

So after testing .517 for several days, I then tried the .571 and the .591 hybrid, but the screen on .517 felt SO much better.

I finally used the .517 radio with the entire 553 Java folder from the 9520 build and BAM! Perfect OS! The great screen feel of the .517 OS, no lag whatsoever, and so far battery life has been great!

Is it possible I had a bad download or install of .517? Sure it is. Whatever the case may be, the .553 Java solved my problems 100%.

03-25-10 10:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD