I just wanted to say thank you to all of you out there that helped with "how to upgrade to a leaked OS". After having the storm since mid December, I finally upgraded from .75 and all i can say is WOW!! So far .113 is fast, responsive and I haven't had any issues with it so far (running for about 4 hours now).
    03-27-09 12:21 PM
    Glad you came to the dark side! Mwahhhahahahahahahaha
    Last edited by Malbo; 03-27-09 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo
    03-27-09 02:48 PM
    What is that one issue with the color all about? Anyone have pictures or a good description of it?
    03-27-09 03:55 PM
    What is that one issue with the color all about? Anyone have pictures or a good description of it?
    The color issue, as far as I understand, is....well....

imagine you're looking at a picture taken with a very high bit level. You know, lots and lots and lots (perchance, millions?) of colors. Now imagine trying to display that picture on a very old computer that can only show, say 16 colors. Obviously there would be a lot of hard lines in the picture where there used to be smooth gradients.

As far as .113 having the issue, I guess if I look hard I can see it, but it doesn't bother me in the very least. I feel more like I'm trying to see the problem rather than actually encountering one. Don't let it scare you away from upgrading. It's a non-issue.

As for the OP, congrats! Glad to hear you got on board! Ah, it's so much nicer here. Like going from a '91 Geo Metro to a Cadillac with cruise control. Sure, it burns more gas, but your a*s is so much happier to be in the Cadillac...
    03-27-09 07:04 PM
    I am still on .75. I would love to upgrade to .113 or .109. Will I lose my contact list?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-09 07:35 PM
    I am still on .75. I would love to upgrade to .113 or .109. Will I lose my contact list?

Do a backup before you do the upgrade, so this way in case something goes wrong you could always do a restore
    03-27-09 07:59 PM
    I am running the .75 and everytime I feel ready to try to upgrade I read one talking about lousy battery life or something else. I am scared to death to try this yet I want this berry to run better than it does now.....I was going to wait for the official but after talking to verizon yesterday for a separate issue and having THREE reps tell me they knew nothing of an impending OS release, I think I need to take the plunge. Ive never done one before so that scares me too. I have apps and themes running and I don't want to lose them but the backup sounded confusing. I know there are forums with this info but is there one with a STEP BY STEP from beginning to end...including backups and getting all 3rd party info back into phone? Will this affect youphone/vyphone?
    Sorry so long but I need to be sure on this and it seems you guys know your **** way more than I could ever pretend to.
    Thanks
    03-27-09 09:27 PM
    There are plenty of guides. Look at the stickies in the 3rd party apps section. They'll tell you all you need to know. On top of that, the upgrade will backup and restore everything that was already on the phone. The backup we refer to is a separate one you do just in case.

As far as the battery life issue - I've experienced no difference.
    03-28-09 12:21 PM
    I am running the .75 and everytime I feel ready to try to upgrade I read one talking about lousy battery life or something else. I am scared to death to try this yet I want this berry to run better than it does now.....I was going to wait for the official but after talking to verizon yesterday for a separate issue and having THREE reps tell me they knew nothing of an impending OS release, I think I need to take the plunge. Ive never done one before so that scares me too. I have apps and themes running and I don't want to lose them but the backup sounded confusing. I know there are forums with this info but is there one with a STEP BY STEP from beginning to end...including backups and getting all 3rd party info back into phone? Will this affect youphone/vyphone?
    Sorry so long but I need to be sure on this and it seems you guys know your **** way more than I could ever pretend to.
    Thanks
    Here you go:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ho...-4-7-a-125449/

These two links worked great when I first started. Be sure to do a memory clean before you start. If your Desktop Manager is good then get started but if your having an issue from time to time with DM then I recommend uninstalling DM and reinstalling a clean version. Here is the link.

Desktop Software

Then download you leaked OS and begin the ride. Hang on tight. Buckle up.
    Weeeeeeeeeee

P.S. DON'T FORGET TO BACK UP YOU DEVICE BEFORE INSTALLING NEW OS

Good Luck
    Last edited by MePascal; 03-28-09 at 12:52 PM.
    03-28-09 12:50 PM
    The color issue, as far as I understand, is....well....

imagine you're looking at a picture taken with a very high bit level. You know, lots and lots and lots (perchance, millions?) of colors. Now imagine trying to display that picture on a very old computer that can only show, say 16 colors. Obviously there would be a lot of hard lines in the picture where there used to be smooth gradients.

As far as .113 having the issue, I guess if I look hard I can see it, but it doesn't bother me in the very least. I feel more like I'm trying to see the problem rather than actually encountering one. Don't let it scare you away from upgrading. It's a non-issue.
    coolsoundingme: Thanks for the great description. I feel a lot better about .113 now.

MePascal: Also a great help. I will be referring to your post when upgrading to .113.

Two great answers in one thread! What luck!!!
    03-28-09 03:59 PM
    Do a backup before you do the upgrade, so this way in case something goes wrong you could always do a restore
    Do the back up but likely nothing will be lost. I upgraded for the second time today. First since .75 was leaked back in December. I finally went to .113 today. I have yet to lose anything. I haven't notice much in Speed. However boot up is down to about 3-3.5 minutes.
    03-28-09 04:16 PM
    Glad you can all upgrade to .113! Its worlds beyone .75!
    03-28-09 04:56 PM
    Thanks

My .02 here...

The VZW QA folks are testing this build (I confirmed it with their device side by side with mine). The fact that there is no release date is due to VZW's stringent testing. There is a LONG list of what needs to be tested, along with finding out what is newly broken. If the fix list outweighs the newly broken, there could be a release. If not, then back to RIM for more work.

Believe me, IMHO, it is better to wait and have code does not require us to be here in order to have functionality.

Let's cross our fingers...

c ya!
    03-28-09 09:44 PM
    i always use apploader which does a backup of everything. i have done several upgrades for my own phone as well as my wifes phone and 2 co workers and have yet to lose a single solitary thing!
    03-28-09 09:51 PM
    I have been on .75 since I got my storm in feb. I just upgraded to .113 beta tonite. So far so good. Still got lag typing in text boxes in browser. Everything else so far. So good. Had one reboot not long after upgrade. Did battery pull and good so far.

03-28-09 11:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD