I have had 4 storms now with dust under the actual screen in fact the refurb i have right now that i got one Tuesday yes Tuesday of this week and it already has dust under the screen... sweet lol. I figure ill wait a month hopefully they have the issue under control because now i'm convinced that there are more frakked devices then solid builds out there. I love my phone but for the love of god fix the damn dust.
    02-01-09 10:30 PM
    i have my phone in a holster.. and never in my pocket.. but i have a sh!tload of dust under the screen.. extremly noticable with the sunlight beaming down on it.. ahh.. yet to go get a replacement.. since the phone is working perfectly with no problems..sighs..
    02-02-09 01:08 AM
    Since I found the dust under the screen, I went to a VZW store to have a look at it and I was told "thats the way it is....", I didn't press to be replaced since I was on the fence about getting a replacement...I finally called and I have a replacement in the way (the rep was very nice). What helped me decide was that my KRZR K1m (2 years old) is spotless!

I have to find a way to prevent dust in the new one, I don't enjoy having to deal with this situation. I am thinking of cutting something really thin and flexible and putting it around the screen....
    02-02-09 07:54 PM
    Since I found the dust under the screen, I went to a VZW store to have a look at it and I was told "thats the way it is....", I didn't press to be replaced since I was on the fence about getting a replacement...I finally called and I have a replacement in the way (the rep was very nice). What helped me decide was that my KRZR K1m (2 years old) is spotless!

I have to find a way to prevent dust in the new one, I don't enjoy having to deal with this situation. I am thinking of cutting something really thin and flexible and putting it around the screen....
    There is a post somewhere on how to do that. It involves putting a very thin strip of electric tape around all sides of the screen.
    02-03-09 10:40 AM
    There is a post somewhere on how to do that. It involves putting a very thin strip of electric tape around all sides of the screen.
    Thanks. Found the post:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f133/it...3/#post1261337

However, it involves taking the phone apart which I am not willing to do. I will try to apply the tape or something else (like somebody else suggested slivers of high density foam) without disassembling the phone.
    02-03-09 03:05 PM
    Dust appeared about a week ago and just got back from the Verizon store. Customer service is overnighting a new Storm. No questions, no hassles!! Great service!!!
    02-03-09 03:33 PM
    Dust appeared about a week ago and just got back from the Verizon store. Customer service is overnighting a new Storm. No questions, no hassles!! Great service!!!

Is this officially covered under warranty? I've heard mixed opinions from Verizon staff. Any one know what RIM says about this issue?
    I plan to pocket carry my new Storm and won't be rolling the dice unless I know I'm covered.

Thanks
    02-03-09 05:29 PM
    Is this officially covered under warranty? I've heard mixed opinions from Verizon staff. Any one know what RIM says about this issue?
    I plan to pocket carry my new Storm and won't be rolling the dice unless I know I'm covered.

Thanks
    Well, I have one of the original first release storms and the excessive dust got too unbearable. What pushed me over the edge was seeing my friend's storm that he got about 2 weeks after mine. Guess what? Not one freaking spec of dust. We both work desk jobs and keep our phones in our pockets all day. Anyhow...

I called Verizon on Sunday and spoke to a nice man in tech support. Explained my problem on how I didn't think the screen was sealed correctly. One of my main caveats was that reminders on the Calender app could not be distinguished between the dust particles, since they only show up as tiny dots . I also eluded to the fact they it basically looks a bunch of dead pixels on the screen it was so bad. He had never heard of the issue but he stated it sounded like a manufacturer's defect to him & that it would be covered under warranty. All in all, it was very hassle free but seems like it's a crapshoot on who you get when you call.

See the DUST WARS thread if you want to see pics of how bad mine got.
    02-03-09 08:20 PM

Thanks
    My new replacement (is on its way...) was considered a warranty replacement since I was past the 30 days. Well, yes VZW's response is mixed: at the Store they told me "thats the way it is with Blackberies", on the phone I explained in a very calm manner (I was also nice at the store... you catch more flies with honey...) the problem and why a 40 day phone should not have so much (or any) dust in the screen and the rep said "I am sorry you are not satisfied with your Storm, I will be glad to send you a replacement".
    Last edited by haris163; 02-04-09 at 09:02 AM.
    02-03-09 09:48 PM
    The CS rep was very nice and replaced the phone with limited questions. Not sure how they noted the replacement as far as under warranty or not. I have had the Storm since late November.
    02-04-09 08:12 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD