I've dl'ed and installed every leak thats been available for the Storm.

I've not, however, done a wipe prior to this. I hear a lot of people prefer to wipe via JL Commander so my questions are:

1. Why is this method preferred?
    2. When I back up my files via DM prior to wiping, will it back up all my third party apps or will I have to dl and reinstall them once I finish upgrading my OS?

I don't need directions with actually wiping my device, the instructions look straight forward enough, just more so about backing up the device in general and why a wipe is preferred.

Thanks in advance.
    01-03-09 02:07 PM
    1. it gives you a clean install, just kinda like formating your HD before you upgrade.

2. It will wipe your device. Again, think a HD for your computer. You will have to re-install everything.
    01-03-09 02:10 PM
    1. it gives you a clean install, just kinda like formating your HD before you upgrade.

2. It will wipe your device. Again, think a HD for your computer. You will have to re-install everything.
    Thats a good way of looking at it. Bah I don't wanna reinstall all my apps.

I'll withhold doing wipes unless I install an OS and start having problems no one else has.
    01-03-09 02:11 PM
    Wiping prior to upgrading is totally preference. Some do it every upgrade while other never do. I prefer to wipe every 3 or 4 upgrades. Why? I believe it makes for a clean install, and removes any left over junk. But it's not needed each upgrade.

Make sure to back up the device first, then backup the 3rd party applications. Once you've installed the OS, restore from the backup first, then restore the 3rd party applications.
    01-03-09 02:13 PM
    when you install on top of your old OS the theory is that you will inherit all the old bugs and software glitches you may have had/created with your choice of 3rd party apps.
    a wipe starts you over with a clean slate and does away with possible conflicts with 3rd party apps

like i said thats the theory
    01-03-09 02:13 PM
    I actually prefer to not do a wipe and just do an install over the last one bc this way I dont have to redo all my freaking settings and write down and reinvite all my BBM contacts!
    01-03-09 02:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD