i keep getting the feeling that the storm is the ******** sibling that no one in the family likes to talk about.

It seems most neglected device in the blackberry lineup almost no app support... (and before you start up your torches I've seen the apps list and am unamused)

Here are some words of motivation for you... "DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS..."-steve balmer, msft

It seems to be one of the major things lacking on the platform from what I've seen thus far no uniformity between software support across devices and lack of software that is actually mind bending or useful.

Agree/Disagree I want to know what you all think...also include apps you've seen on iphone that you'd like to see on the storm.

Shazam - shazam.com
    12-14-08 10:20 PM
    I mean, I definitely agree with you, but it's simply going to take time. For blackberry developers, they are moving to a touch screen device and can implement both user touch and click in their programs. I think it will be a matter of months before we see a huge surge in applications for the storm.
    12-14-08 10:29 PM
    at least an app store is coming in March, right? I don't have a storm yet but I do think once all the bugs are worked out it's going to be a great little phone that will be able to do more than the Iphone
    12-14-08 10:37 PM
    damm, this phone is not a month old and people are harping that there is no software for it..

Its a whole new platform.

Patience young jedi, patience.
    12-14-08 10:40 PM
    so let's continue a common comparison:

iPhone released June 07, SDK released feb 08, ap store june 08. . .

and we are worried because it has been three weeks?
    12-14-08 10:41 PM
    The platform seems to have alot to offer. The ability to push app OTA is great for developers. Developers have more freedom within the blackberry OS then apple. When Rim lunches the app store developers will get a chance to make $$. Lets just hope Rim gives us more app space!
    12-14-08 10:47 PM

HAHA! I hear ya! People just need to give it time and it will be just as good if not better than that other app store...
    There are already 2 games that use the Storm's accelerometer, all we have to do is sit back and wait for the developers.

Hint hint...developers...
    12-14-08 10:49 PM
    Store is coming in Jan 09
    Thats what ive heard.
    12-14-08 10:50 PM
    lets start a new comparison...

google android g1 released....w/ app store and a lot of awesome applications out of the box...

It just seems RIM didn't see that a working phone or software were important maybe I'm over critical idk

other blackberries don't really have any good software either just sayin wish it wasn't true
    12-14-08 10:51 PM
    lets start a new comparison...

google android g1 released....w/ app store and a lot of awesome applications out of the box...

It just seems RIM didn't see that a working phone or software were important maybe I'm over critical idk

other blackberries don't really have any good software either just sayin wish it wasn't true
    True I wish there were more . . but they are starting to trickle out. The G1 is great but not all roses either . .they have no default media player!
    12-14-08 10:54 PM
    True I wish there were more . . but they are starting to trickle out. The G1 is great but not all roses either . .they have no default media player!
    agreed, i played with both before buying the storm. It got down to a matter of coverage and physical hardware, the storm just felt that much more solid in hand.

i guess i just expected more in less time but we'll see where it goes.
    12-14-08 10:59 PM
    Like said, it hasn't even been a full month, what exactly are you expecting?

And if you want to see a true redheaded ******* step child phone, look at the LG Dare. Of course if Verizon let more than a blessed few develop BREW apps it might be a different story.

Anyway, the Storm represents a pretty significant paradigm shift for BB developers. Creating a touch interface requires a very different way of thinking about UI development. It might take a little time for developers to wrap their heads around it.

If by June we still haven't seen more than a trickle of new apps, then you might be justified in being concerned. Still, what exactly do you need your Storm to do that it can't do already? It already puts the Jesus Phone to shame in most technical regards, I don't really see Windows Mobile as being much of a real threat unless Microsoft decides to stop trying to shoehorn the Windows desktop UI onto a mobile... But seriously, what specifically do you need your Storm to do that it can't already do? Or is it just that there aren't any themes, games, or other nice to have type apps that offer no new functionality?
    12-14-08 11:03 PM
    demand drives products and services to fill said demand...

so you asked what do i want out of my phone.:
    - i want the media player to be able to handle video and skipping through to the part i want to see
    - i want the camera to not take a year to come up and a shutter speed that makes sense
    - i want the accelerometer to change when i turn the phone (.75) not 4 seconds later
    - i want to see more games for it (sorry that you don't like games)

I'd like to see some of the following as well:

-I'd like to be able to get names of songs i hear when i'm out places (shazam) the function being i have more music i want to listen to.
    -I'd like WHERE to work on my storm.. So I can use widgets they offer that will be useful to me finding things in a timely manner.
    -I'd like to use ShopSavvy to scan barcodes and find better prices for things while i'm physically shopping.
    -I'd like to see anything new people can come up with

i didn't mean this to be a post of everything i disliked about the phone i wanted it to be more positive looking at what people wanted to see more of but idk maybe i'm just too impatient and completely off base. what other way can i describe to you why i expect so much out of the device.

whats wrong with most of mobile products are they're based on what companies would like to offer and what they think is new and exciting not what people want out of them. sorry if that viewpoint makes me different.

i guess it hasn't occurred to you why the iphone and apple in general is so successful cause when it comes down to it novelty rules present day marketing. (not functionality) In turn the more people that have your device demand for development on that device goes up.

i really don't mean to sound hostile here i just want to be clear that the storm isn't everything it can be and i only think it natural to demand something better. once again maybe i'm alone on that.
    Last edited by sailboats; 12-14-08 at 11:45 PM.
    12-14-08 11:38 PM

Except the iPhone was Apple's first phone. The Storm is an incremental version of a mature (dare I say aging) OS that developers have been using for a while.
    12-14-08 11:43 PM
    Remember when Playstation(the original) came out, if you went into the movie store how many games would you find(i was a little kid i wanna say 3). Wait about 6 months and most stores had 15-25 games, wait a year 50-60 games in most stores. It takes time bro-ski.
    12-15-08 12:25 AM
    Remember when Playstation(the original) came out, if you went into the movie store how many games would you find(i was a little kid i wanna say 3). Wait about 6 months and most stores had 15-25 games, wait a year 50-60 games in most stores. It takes time bro-ski.
    I'd have to check my old psx box but i believe it was 8 launch titles for that system... blackberry storm....2 vz navigator + vz visual voicemail
    12-15-08 01:15 AM
    i keep getting the feeling that the storm is the ******** sibling that no one in the family likes to talk about.

It seems most neglected device in the blackberry lineup almost no app support... (and before you start up your torches I've seen the apps list and am unamused)

Here are some words of motivation for you... "DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS..."-steve balmer, msft

It seems to be one of the major things lacking on the platform from what I've seen thus far no uniformity between software support across devices and lack of software that is actually mind bending or useful.

Agree/Disagree I want to know what you all think...also include apps you've seen on iphone that you'd like to see on the storm.

Shazam - shazam.com
    **** sh*t didn't work on Vista when it first came out and it was less of a major over haul than BB just did for its first touch screen device. Sh*t still doesn't work on Vista but its getting a lot better. The same was true for the iPhone. How many wonderful apps were there for the iPhone right after it first came out? You people think that developers just generate these apps over night. Knock it off and freakin wait.
    12-15-08 04:01 AM
    I understand that it's a new phone, new OS, new everything. But they could've made at least one alternate theme for it! That FREE HOLIDAY THEME **** on the home page of this site pissed me off! It says this theme works for every phone BUT the Storm.
    12-15-08 04:16 PM
    Hahaha

You're ALL wrong!

RIMs ******* ******** Child is....

Obviously The BlackBerry Pearl Flip!!
    12-15-08 04:25 PM
    I want the biowallet (on Android) for my Storm. I can't post links yet cause I'm just a baby berry I guess. but it looks pretty cool.

There's a bunch of other Android apps that I'd like on this puppy, but this is the one I really want. Also some freaking games. I never expect out of the box games to be decent on a phone. But brickbreaker? brickbreaker? There has never been a half decent brickbreaker game. I was actually more upset seeing brickbreaker than I would have been if there weren't any games at all. The only reason I opened brickbreaker was the hope that it might use the accelerometer and so be amusing for about 20 seconds. Nope. /rant.
    12-15-08 05:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD