Hi All--

Hoping someone out there can help me.

Just got a Storm 9530 last week, my first Blackberry. I am trying to install the 4.7.075 software upgrade and keep running into a fatal error. I've tried via the Desktop Manager and via online. In both cases everything seems to be running smoothly until the end of the phase where my current software is backed up. It is at this point I keep getting the fatal error. This has happened repeatedly.

Any ideas of what might solve this problem? Also, is there anyway to get this software upgrade directly over the air?

Thanks!
    12-07-08 09:01 PM
    I got the "Fatal error" message too, only I couldn't retry the update. My Storm was reduced to a night light...a blank white glow was all I could get out of the revolutionary touch screen. At the Verizon store today they pronounced my unit dead, and instead of opting for a new Storm, I'm now back to using my 8703e.

The Verizon guy rolled his eyes and acted like he's seen a lot of this in the past couple of days. He recommended an iPhone!

Sorry, this doesn't help solve any problem, but it might give you an idea of what to expect from tech support.
    12-09-08 10:09 PM
    The above guy is a moron! The iphone sucks i have boththe storm and the iphone! to fix the fatal error go into bb desktop and select app loader. you may have to to wipe using 3rd party app. Make sure you have the os from blackberry installed on your pc. then select the apps you want installed. make sure under setting you have deselected backup phone. One last thing is to hit settings>connections and make sure your blackberry is recognized by the desktop software( your pin may say unknown which is ok). select all apps you want installed and that should take care of it. I work at verizon and have done about 15 of these even with error 507 on screen!
    12-09-08 10:40 PM
    I had the same issue (i.e., "fatal error" when running Application Loader), and solved it like this:
    (1) Disconnect the internet connection (which I did by simply unplugging the ethernet cable from my PC).
    (2) Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    (3) Click on Application Loader.
    (4) Click on Update Software.
    (5) Check the box to install BlackBerry 4.7 (ver. 4.7.0.75), and uncheck all other boxes. Click Next and let it install, whether it needs to or not. (Mine said "No software update is required for your device.")
    (6) In the next screen, click Options to open the Application Loader.
    (7) Now reconnect your ethernet cable and reestablish your internet connection.
    (8) If there is any version of "Documents to Go" in your application list, uncheck the box to uninstall it, and make NO OTHER CHANGES to the list. (Sorry if you actually use this app, because getting rid of it was how I finally overcame this issue. Maybe you can reinstall it later. I haven't bothered to.)
    (9) At this point, my Application Loader finally began to function normally, with the following caveats:
    (10) FLICKR: If your Verizon Storm is like mine, it came preloaded with Flickr installed (which, here again, is an app I don't use). Notably (and for reasons unknown), the same Flickr program/version, etc., appears twice in the application list, and while the first instance of it can be unchecked, the second one cannot. If you try to uncheck it, it just rechecks itself again. Be that as it may, the point is: Do not make any changes to either of the Flickr boxes in the list. Everytime I try to, I get the Fatal Error message again.
    (11) FaceBook: My Verizon Storm also came preloaded with some kind of FaceBook app installed (i.e., other than the actual web page), and the first thing I did after uninstalling "Documents to Go" was to uninstall this "FaceBook" app. Here again, you may be able to reinstall it later if you actually use it, but I have not bothered to since my Application Loader has been working fine ever since.

Overall, it seems to me that the issues were created by some kind of conflict between apps that came preloaded on the Storm, apps that can also be loaded by the Application Loader, and/or apps that can also be loaded by downloading them directly over the net with the BlackBerry.

Hope someone finds this helpful (i'm certainly no expert), but I can definitely appreciate the frustration you are feeling given the 8-9 hours I invested in unravelling this b*llsh*t. Good Luck!
    01-03-09 04:33 PM
    Have ANY of you looked at the proper upgrade downgrade post????
    01-03-09 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD