Let's see if I can explain this in the best way possible! Of course I have the Blackberry Storm and I'm DESPERATELY trying to love it. I actually do love it to pieces if it would just work correctly. Of course I installed the new .99 Beta software today, but it changed nothing in regards to the issue! I've tried EVERY software version so far and the same issue with the battery life.

Alright here goes.......

I'm currently using my Pearl because of the horrible battery life of the Storm. I had it COMPLETELY run down yesterday and then charged it overnight for more than 8 hours. It's not setup on the Verizon network and the radio is in fact off right now. I installed the new beta software this morning on it, and it's just been sitting, not doing a thing next to me all day long. I haven't made a call, played with it, text on it, anything with it other than setting up the software and restoring a backup. At which time the battery life was at 100%. I have done ONE battery pull in order to reset it to ensure it wasn't anything to do with the setup. Last week, I went and complained about the battery life at Verizon and they replaced my battery for me. So I've done everything I can to try to improve battery life evey down to trying the threads around here about improving battery life. It's been about 2, maybe 3 hours since it's been off the charger and with NO use whatsoever, it's down to 55% on the battery life.........this is clearly unacceptable since I haven't even touched it other than to check the battery life a few times. I have the backlight set to time out in 10 seconds, and the screen turned down to 40%........what else could possibly be done to save battery?

My question is this........do you think it's a phone issue? In other words, should I request a replacement because the phone may be faulty? I seriously had to go away from the phone because of all the issues on it, but battery life is a huge deal to me. I've sent probably over 200 texts today on my Pearl, and it's got 80% battery life running basically the same programs. All I have on my Storm is WeatherBug, ESPN, SI, QuickPull, Facebook, Yahoo IM, AIM......took all the other stuff off like VZ Navigator, Voice Dialing.......it's basically a stripped down version here. And I havent' even run any programs on it............so what's the deal???

Anyone else experiencing this?
    02-01-09 02:27 PM
    Just your phone replaced now. Totally unnaceptable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-09 02:31 PM
    I would just replace it because I don't see anything that would make the battery drain like that. If your battery has been draining since day 1 I would replace it.
    02-01-09 02:39 PM
    Just your phone replaced now. Totally unnaceptable.

WHAT?!

I would just replace it because I don't see anything that would make the battery drain like that. If your battery has been draining since day 1 I would replace it.
    Yes, sounds like a defect. They will replace it even after the 30 days as it is a hardware issue that is covered by the 1 year warranty on the phone. Not to be confused with insurance, btw.
    02-01-09 02:45 PM
    Replace it. Shouldnt drain like that.
    02-01-09 02:47 PM
    Yeah that's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to check. I took it up there last week and they wanted to replace the battery, so that's what I did thinking maybe it was a battery issue. Want to use the phone because I truly like it, but gosh, with all the issues it's had, it's kind of hard to do that. I'm going to reload .75 on it tonight and take it tomorrow!

Thanks for the advice guys!
    02-01-09 03:02 PM
    I haven't been able to kill my yet. (I charge it overnight, hasn't come close to dying.)
    02-01-09 03:15 PM
    my storm is doing the same thing the last few days. it used to be perfect with great battery life, but then about 3 days ago the battery has been horrible. today i unpluged my phone at 6am and by 1pm today it was completely dead and would not turn back on. i send maybe 10 text and made maybe a 1 min phone call other than that it was just chillen in my pocket doing nothing.
    02-01-09 04:51 PM
    I found that Worldmate was possibly killing my battery for some reason. Never had a problem, installed it and my phone drained every 6 - 8 hours on standby to 50pc or less.

Have since uninstalled and it's back to normal. I run 4.7.0.78 on Vodafone and have only ever used that OS.

Maybe kill all your apps and install them one at a time to see if any are the cause?
    02-01-09 05:13 PM
    That's just the problem with mine though, I don't have anything running other than what came on the phone and runs automatically. I don't even have it connected to the Verizon network, using a completely different phone and the phone died in about the same amount of time as the above poster's.......it juts doesn't last any time at all and I don't even use it. It just sits there and dies in 5 or 6 hours which is UNACCEPTABLE. I have sent about 300 texts today on the Pearl and I still have WELL over 50% battery left! Storm needs MAJOR help!!!!
    02-01-09 05:18 PM
    It's not "the Storm" it's "your Storm" that's the problem. Mine runs just fine. Several apps running in the background, including some that are not Storm specific and it does well with "moderate" use.

I did upgrade to the 1600 battery, which lets me get better than 36 hours of life on the battery with maybe 100 texts, 4-5 five to ten minute phone calls, viigo all day long, a few pics, some time on the browser, 3-4 extra apps running in the background...and still maybe 10-15% on the extended battery when I plug it on upon going to bed on the second night.

I was able to make it to about mid-afternoon or very early evening (with the same use) on the OEM battery.

For what this phone does, I think that's pretty good battery life! Like I said, it's "your Storm", swap it out (maybe just the battery?)...life will be better!
    02-01-09 06:15 PM
    .99 seems really good on the battery for me. .90 was absolutely horrible for me. It would be dead within 6 hours and it was redicilous

02-01-09 07:22 PM
    I really think the issue is with the batteries and not the Storm!
    02-01-09 07:26 PM
    I really think the issue is with the batteries and not the Storm!
    Then they must have a ton of battery issues, because this is the second battery that I've had. My phone has limited use on it. Secondly, for the person who posted try getting a new battery, you must have forgotten that i said I had a battery replacement and that didn't solve the problem. I understand some people have perfect Storms and some don't. No pun intended there with the referece to the movie either! I'll try to get mine replaced tomorrow, don't feel like dealing with the headache tonight!

Thanks for everyone's insight. Figure that was the thing to do now since the battery replacement didn't work!
    02-01-09 07:49 PM
    Too soon to say for sure but so far my battery life is good. I say replace the phone.

02-01-09 08:54 PM
    With mine, on .76 that came loaded when I got it, battery life was only so so. It wouldn't go dead on me, but by the end of my day (horrible signal where i work, but can txt and browse) I would be down probably 20-30%. I would always charge it every night. I updated to .90, the first day the battery life was horrible. I went from 100% to 0 in less than 5 hours. A few battery pulls, and all was good, it actually gave me VERY good battery life compared to .76. Now, with .99, it's doing the same as .90 did initially.. I just pulled it off the charger an hour ago, and I'm down 20% already with barely any use on it. If it doesn't get any better, I'm going to downgrade back to .90 again.
    02-01-09 09:40 PM
    Mine has always been fine...until I installed .99. Other people tend to disagree, but I think this is the worst build after .86. Its horrible, horrible colors, horrible battery life, horrible memory leaks.
    02-01-09 10:01 PM
    Soft restart solved this problem for me. Took out the battery wipped off the
    sensors and restarted it. Worked like magic and my battery life has been money ever since. let me know how it works.
    02-01-09 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD