Something weird is going on today with my storm 2... running the new official OS from VZW. Just noticed it today.

The lower left corner on the back (below SIM card) is getting really hot. BUT, just as fast as it gets hot, it cools down. I have noticed it 3 times times today. It is noticeably hot just in the lat lower left corner (when looking from the back). I did a battery pull, and it instantly got cool. Checked the apps that are running, noting more than normal.

I usually have about 1/2 battery life by evening... now it is at 25% after 7 hours.... way worse.

Called VZW... no known issues. They say to monitor it another day or 2 then call back for a replacement. i am not wanting a refurbished phone. I like my new one with the ghost armor.

Just wondering what is going on.... my first reaction was I must have 15 apps running or something using GPS or something... not the case.
    05-06-10 01:47 PM
    Mine only gets hot when I use my car charger
    05-06-10 08:34 PM
    mine gets hot with google maps
    05-06-10 10:38 PM
    mine gets hot with google maps
    That is why I thought I had a GPS type of app open in the background. Whatever happened has not happened again as of yet. It was definitely some type of "event" because my battery drained alot. VZW wanted me to check the shape of the battery and check for signs of damage. It was not the battery getting hot... it was in the hardware.
    05-06-10 10:52 PM
    This has happened to mine a few times. I can almost guarantee it is a "rogue" app consuming the processor (and in turn causing the device to heat up and use more power and drain battery faster).

In this case, I'd follow the advice of the CS rep. Watch it to see if it happens again. If it's just a rare occurrence as it is with mine, just pull the battery to restart it. Otherwise, if it happens regularly, maybe try to isolate the app that may be causing it...

I think this is one of those things that shouldn't happen normally, but isn't really much to be concerned about it just happens on rare occasions...kind like getting a "blue screen of death" on a windows PC.
    05-06-10 11:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD