My company switched to exchange 2007. I have BIS and dont want to have to pay for BES. iPhones and windows mobile work fine with active sync but I just want email to work. we use Outlook webmail, but I still cant configure it online. When I asked our help desk they said

OWA is not enabled for BlackBerries. This is NOT a BlackBerry limitation but rather a setting on Exchange that we will NOT change.

I dont see how that is even possible, but no settings in BIS change this. Are there any options for me to get email again without going to BES?
    05-14-09 07:51 PM
    your server admin can set up POP forwarding to one of your BIS email accounts, but idk how that will work. you'll have to ask them. maybe some sort of wap portal to get access?
    05-14-09 07:55 PM
    No they wont do that, already asked. Is astrasync my only option
    05-14-09 08:14 PM
    well besides BES i guess desktop redirector but idk what plan you need for that.
    05-14-09 08:20 PM
    How about this:

Create a Blackberry account on BIS, but changing the reply to as your actual work email address.

Then go to Exchange and just create a basic contact of your Blackberry email address that you just created above, and have your email forward a copy to that Blackberry account.

Let us know if this helps!
    Last edited by Kamika007z; 05-14-09 at 10:27 PM.
    05-14-09 10:09 PM
    Your IT Department obviously doesn't want to deal with you or is unable to master exchange 2007. I've deployed a ton of EX07 systems using BES and BIS...it's very simple. Just setup bis as you would but under options make sure you specify the mailbox name explicitly. Under your exchange about screen it should list the exact syntax for it.

Then append the BIS entry with the option of: /cn=Yourmailboxname

This is the same kind of crap I've heard with people using entourage with exchange, noone claims to be able to support it and it works half assed with the existing exchange conduit. Hope this helps, if you need more specifics let me know, I'll put together a walk through, but you should be able to navigate through it easily. And there is no specific setting for OWA for blackberry, that is just an excuse.

Hope this helps

Also lets hope you bought a cert and didn't use a self signed, because that is a MAJOR problem with OWA interaction with devices, you cannot use a self signed (well you can, I've done it, but it's a PITA if you don't know what you're doing..)
    05-14-09 11:47 PM
    Your IT Department obviously doesn't want to deal with you or is unable to master exchange 2007. I've deployed a ton of EX07 systems using BES and BIS...it's very simple. Just setup bis as you would but under options make sure you specify the mailbox name explicitly. Under your exchange about screen it should list the exact syntax for it.

This is the same kind of crap I've heard with people using entourage with exchange, noone claims to be able to support it and it works half assed with the existing exchange conduit. Hope this helps, if you need more specifics let me know, I'll put together a walk through, but you should be able to navigate through it easily. And there is no specific setting for OWA for blackberry, that is just an excuse.

Hope this helps

Also lets hope you bought a cert and didn't use a self signed, because that is a MAJOR problem with OWA interaction with devices, you cannot use a self signed (well you can, I've done it, but it's a PITA if you don't know what you're doing..)

Im confused, where in my BIS settings do I do this?

And what do you mean by aabout exchange? I cant view exchanges settings since I dont have access to the server?

Thanks for helping.
    05-15-09 08:53 AM
    I have in BIS
    https://webmail.company.com/owa/cn=jon.smith

and i get this error

The server URL does not seem correct because it does not end with the value entered for 'Email account Name'. Click 'OK' if you would like to proceed with the information entered, or 'Cancel' to change

In my mail settings i think m mailbox name is masked because it just says

Jon Smith

im guessing its jon.smith but still

Username:COMPANY\jon.smith

mailbox: jon.smith

passwordassword

email: jon.smith@company.com

Still nothing works even if I continue, what can I change?
    05-15-09 09:25 AM
    Sorry this effin forum won't let me pm until I have ten messages. Username is correct, under mailbox append the cn= value I gave you, then enter the password, give that a try
    05-15-09 10:10 AM
    copy, pm me your email or info I'll walk you through it. Should take about 5 minutes providing your company setup exchange correctly.
    05-15-09 10:17 AM
    ten, there we go..
    05-15-09 10:26 AM

Hope this helps

Self signed SSLs work with OWA on Blackberry pretty flawelessly. They don't seem to care. This however is not so true with WinMo devices as they require saving of the certificate to the local handheld. But with BBs it's not an issue. I use it on a couple of accounts and it setup just fine in BIS.
    05-15-09 10:37 AM
    Also, to the OP, keep in mind that mailbox name in Active Directory and Exchange is most likely the same as your domain login and NOT the beginning part of your email address.

The other thing to make sure is that they truly have OWA open to the Internet. They don't need that workng to get ActiveSync on iPhones and WinMo devices to work. Check it with a web browser on your PC if you're outside the network. If you're inside, you may need to do https://servername/exchange rather then https://webdomainname/exchange, depending on firewall type and config.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 05-15-09 at 10:41 AM.
    05-15-09 10:39 AM
    I kept having problems with them several times, but this was with direct access. Most of the time OWA will be accessable form the internet due to the fact it's SSL. Unless they require VPN then you're SOL. I emailed him the same info

Glad to see other savvy people on here.
    05-15-09 11:22 AM
    Unless they require VPN then you're SOL.
    elitedaytrader77, sent u a PM also, hope you can help......but Im sure with my luck they use the VPN your refering too? And I thank you for being Savvy!!
    05-15-09 11:39 AM
    well, they could be but I doubt it, SSL is plenty secure if you're using high end firewall and monitoring traffic. Atleast that's how I've setup for years, but then again...I'm not your company ..sure ill give ya hand
    05-15-09 11:45 AM
    Self signed SSLs work with OWA on Blackberry pretty flawelessly. They don't seem to care. This however is not so true with WinMo devices as they require saving of the certificate to the local handheld. But with BBs it's not an issue. I use it on a couple of accounts and it setup just fine in BIS.
    This is true

BB devices never cared about SSL certs, only WinMo devices. Though, I'm not sure about Android.
    05-18-09 08:59 AM
    They also don't work behind ISA Remember that people..
    05-18-09 09:24 AM
    They also don't work behind ISA Remember that people..
    Also true.
    05-18-09 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD