OK, after enabling location, it did not appear to have any impact on battery life. I still had 50% after 16 hours of my normal usage (60 minutes of phone calls, net surfing for a couple hours, BB Messenger for awhile, quite a few emails and other misc stuff).

This morning I selected "location on" GPS Services. We'll see what that does.

Whatever the culprit was, I will soon know, because the life has been so much better the last couple days after the few changes described above.
    Enabling "location on" also did not have any noticeable battery life impact. It seems that setting the back light from 100 to 30 has had the biggest impact...I sure don't know what else it would be (I don't remember any other settings changes)??
    12-13-08 06:55 AM
    Started using my phone about 7am yesterday. Made some calls and emails throughout the day. 5 minutes of web surfing. It was dead by 5:30pm. I was in a place with a weak signal. Either the battery sucks, or it takes a lot of juice to use in weak signal areas. I hope it is the latter.
    12-13-08 07:40 AM
    Battery life is as bad as my standard battery on the 6800. The last two nights I have left it off the charger to let it drain and charge it full. I go to bed with a 100% and awake to around 50%. I have two main emails on the phone that total about 70 a day. I also have turned the sleep mode to 30 sec and brightness to 30% with a little change.

Today I disabled Location on to see if this matters. I will go to a extended life battery when they come available. Between two coworkers they have the iPhone and G1. They both have battery life which is far worse.

Hopefully the location on change will help. I know the first full day I had was Thanksgiving it lasted about 10 hours.
    12-13-08 08:24 AM
    Battery life is as bad as my standard battery on the 6800. The last two nights I have left it off the charger to let it drain and charge it full. I go to bed with a 100% and awake to around 50%. I have two main emails on the phone that total about 70 a day. I also have turned the sleep mode to 30 sec and brightness to 30% with a little change.

Today I disabled Location on to see if this matters. I will go to a extended life battery when they come available. Between two coworkers they have the iPhone and G1. They both have battery life which is far worse.

Hopefully the location on change will help. I know the first full day I had was Thanksgiving it lasted about 10 hours.
    Location on or off, did not have any impact on my battery life!
    12-13-08 08:31 AM
    After reading this posts,I'm convinced I have a faulty device,with no phone use(no one has my number yet),one email account that I just receive emails,don't respond and I do light browsing,no texting yet,no youtube streaming and I have the settings at 30 pct for backlite and my storm still drains before I get home from work,I'm taking my back to verizon,this vant be normal,especially when I'm reading about how others are getting such great battery life

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-08 08:47 AM
    50 emails a day
    25-30 calls
    some web use
    weatherbug
    gps always on
    vvm

My battery lasts the day with no no issues (on lighter days (hehe) it is still 1/2 battery when I get home from work.
    12-13-08 08:50 AM
    Maybe it is the Weatherbug app?
    Weatherbug sapped my fully charged 8220 battery overnight. Installed wb two nights ago, yesterday am dead. Charged phone last night and deleted wb, this morning battery at 80%. Something's fishy with weatherbug.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Update: The above reflects a fresh battery and bad habits. Battery life is much improved now. Thanks to everybody who posted tips. I did a few full discharge/recharge cycles, made sure to close applications instead of hitting Escape or End, turned off Mobile Network/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth when not needed, dialed down the backlight to 10% (Options-> Screen/Keyboard-> Backlight Brightness) and reinstalled WeatherBug. In the past 6 hours, battery has only dropped to 90%.
    Last edited by hubermania; 12-18-08 at 01:13 PM. Reason: New habits and information.
    12-13-08 09:35 AM
    The battery is good for me, as I said earlier, up to 3 days. I think maybe some of you are not closing the applications when you are done with them. My location is on and all the default settings are still being used.

Lithium Ion battery's are very good and should all compare pretty closely as I use this same technology with my rc helicopters and can run them down within 15 seconds of what I predict over and over again. Even with daily use they last up to 2 years in the rc world and that is pulling big amps.
    12-13-08 09:40 AM
    i think this battery life is a problem for those of us who had a curve or other blackberry before the storm. i have to charge my storm overnight. i could go without charging my curve for like 2 or 3 days.
    12-16-08 10:28 AM
    no battery problem for me...but I charge my phone every night.
    12-16-08 10:31 AM
    I only had battery issues with all the data intensive apps people want to have running with out consistences. Disable, turn down and uninstall. i used 5% battery in 12 hours.
    with everything loaded and enabled i could run down to 40% in 4 hours. it's not that hard to figure it out people
    12-19-08 08:11 PM
    Normally I get a day or two easy on the phone unless I play like 2 hours music then I need to recharge by end of day.

But If I do not use the phone for calls or video or do much but check the mail a few times a day it last 2 days easy.

NOW with that said sometimes it just flat goes DEAD!

I have had two occasions one just yesterday again where I had it charged up 100% by the end of the day as I had it on the Data cable and it was 100%.

I removed it and made sure there were no background apps running. Yes I keep GPS on all the time as I think it sucks to have to turn it on to use Navigator or BB Maps ( I assume it has to be on for those to work well).

So I took it off the cable, nothing running and left it alone from 12:00 at night to about 1:00 the middle of the next day so 13 hours.

I touch the phone and it is totally dead. Will not come on. I plug it into the wall on the charger and it lights up and look at OPTIONS STATUS and battery is 0%. Also radio is OFF as it went to 0.

When in this state 0% radio can not be turned on even when charging. THAT IS WHY THE POSTER SAID EARLIER THAT YOU CAN ON USE THE PHONE ON THE CHARGER. WHEN IT IS DEAD IT WILL NOT TURN THE RADIO ON.

Kind of lame. But after it charges a while like 10 minutes or so you will get to 5% and somewhere in there 5 or 10% you can get the Radio to turn on again.

But for the life of me I have no idea why the battery has gone to 0% with no usage in 13 hours when I checked an there was no apps running when I set it down after the charge.

I have had many other times that I do this and it is fine and at 90% charge 13 hours later with no use.

What gives????

Maybe the navigator even though I exit out of it with CLOSE and say yes to EXIT? maybe it is coming up somehow and then draining the battery?

I have had the navigator just automatically start sometimes and I do not know why. I do not have it on a app key/convienience key or anything. BuI have had a few times when doing other things that it just pops up. Not sure why. Maybe it is getting started some how and then drains it? Hard to believe.
    Last edited by bbstorm4me; 12-19-08 at 09:30 PM.
    12-19-08 09:26 PM
    I have had a great experience with the battery life. I to am a day oner. I am in sales a travel around South Central Texas. There are many cattle trails that you have no coverage what so ever. I have always kept a car charger to augment when the battery gets low. On my previous device while it was searching for service, etc would drain quickly. I have deleted VZnav, but blue tooth bbmaps and gps features are all turned on. I also have weather bug. I usually charge mine around 10pm and when I go to bed @ mid I use the Storm as my alarm clock and select bedside mode. When I get up I still have a full charge heavy use all day both internet, e-mail and calls I generally arrive home @ 50-60%. Just a warning though. If you use bedside mode when you turn the alarm off and come off bedside you will get all your e-mails and messages that came thru as you slumbered.
    12-19-08 10:20 PM
    Heavy use today, including 45 mins GPS running Nav4All (which tends to suck the juice) and I got my worse day yet: 8 hours only. I can normally make 20 hours.
    12-20-08 12:44 AM
    I had 65% left on mine after 10 hours yesterday, but I put it on the charger every night whether it needs it or not.
    12-20-08 07:47 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD