Every time I install a beta os, BDM 4.7 on Vista always fails when restoring user data. Every freaking time... "Error restoring database(s)". It is so damn frustrating, I want to take a screwdriver and put it through the front glass. Is it that BDM 4.7 is just garbage?

I have restarted BDM and disconnected the Storm from the computer several times to no avail. And it doesn't matter which database I select to restore. When I get that error, it happens with all of them.

Does anybody have any solutions to avoid this major hassle? Should I install VMWare and Windows XP and do it from there?

alex
    02-24-09 04:45 AM
    I had this problem when I updated to the .99 OS. I'm using the same as you (Vista with BDM 4.7) and I uninstalled BDM 4.7, rebooted and then reinstalled it. It didn't help me that time, but I haven't had a problem since then. Might want to give that a try.
    02-24-09 07:08 AM
    Just go to restore option and reload the last saved .ipd file from your my documents folder, or wherever you saved the last .ipd (backup file). Once you do this all your settings will be restored exactly how you had it. (ie. icon arrangement, contacts, blah blah blah.)
    02-24-09 07:12 AM
    I have Windows Vista 64 bit and it only happened once, and that was when I installed .103. Installing .109 was no problem.
    02-24-09 07:22 AM
    Is this an issue with BDM or with your connectivity? I had an issue where I had to mess with the Mass Storage Mode settings to ensure a connection. You may want to search for that.
    02-24-09 07:54 AM
    Don't blame vista, my vaio is running an OEM version of 32-bit home premium and i have had zero issues upgrading to leaked OS's.

Plug in the bberry.
    install the device software.
    open up desktop manager(unplug wifi/internetz)
    install software...dont click stuff, just let it do its thang.

always, 100% of the time works for me(thats for .99, .103, and .109)
    02-24-09 09:46 AM
    Vista is horrible. i had it and went back to XP. too many issues with vista and everything. Plus no sense using vista when windows 7 is comming out next year sometime. that was off topic tho. Corrupt DM maybe?
    Last edited by Bigdaddy2009; 02-24-09 at 09:58 AM.
    02-24-09 09:48 AM
    I had the same problem running 4.7DM with Vista. Uninstalled it and installed 4.5 and havent had a problem since. Dont know why but it worked for me.
    02-24-09 09:52 AM
    I've only had this happen to me when I have secure data in my browser cache. I clear it; it works. Maybe it's coincidence though?
    02-24-09 10:17 AM
    I've never had this problem, running Vista Business. Upgraded from .75 to .99 to .103 to .109 with no issues. I always make sure to clear my cache first on the phone.
    02-24-09 10:33 AM
    I've had no problems with DM on Vista 32 or 64.
    02-24-09 11:24 AM
    I switched back to DM 4.6 and it seems more stable. Also, try loading using AppLoader instead of DM, I find it more efficient and have less problems.
    02-24-09 11:49 AM
    I have upgraded to every beta OS in Vista without any issues. I have always used DM 4.6 though.
    02-24-09 01:06 PM
    I've never had this problem, running Vista Business. Upgraded from .75 to .99 to .103 to .109 with no issues. I always make sure to clear my cache first on the phone.
    Same with me. Running 64 Ultimate and done upgrades, downgrades and everything else with problems. I'm using 4.7 with administrative rights on my account.
    02-24-09 01:10 PM
    I have the same problem with XP Pro. I just manually restore the backup.
    02-24-09 01:31 PM
    This has happened twice for me using DM 4.7 and Vista 32 Business. I think it was for the .90 update and now for the .109. Really not that big of a deal...takes a couple minutes to restore the data from the backup.
    02-24-09 02:23 PM
    Vista is horrible. i had it and went back to XP. too many issues with vista and everything. Plus no sense using vista when windows 7 is comming out next year sometime. that was off topic tho. Corrupt DM maybe?
    I'm so sick of people complaining about Vista, ive installed it on 3 different machines, an old Phenom Compaq desktop, a c2d macbook pro, and it came with my vaio and there have been zero problems. (With a combined 20 months of use between all the systems)

All you newbs who complain about vista and praise win 7 don't realize that windows 7 is just an optimized version of vista. Unless your using a Pentium Core system with 1 gig of ram, there is no reason to blame vista for your issues. In addition, win 7 has more issues with bberry DM then any other OS.

Apologies for the rant.
    Last edited by thebigpants27; 02-24-09 at 03:03 PM.
    02-24-09 03:01 PM
    I'm so sick of people complaining about Vista, ive installed it on 3 different machines, an old Phenom Compaq desktop, a c2d macbook pro, and it came with my vaio and there have been zero problems. (With a combined 20 months of use between all the systems)

All you newbs who complain about vista and praise win 7 don't realize that windows 7 is just an optimized version of vista. Unless your using a Pentium Core system with 1 gig of ram, there is no reason to blame vista for your issues. In addition, win 7 has more issues with bberry DM then any other OS.

Apologies for the rant.
    7 being an optimized version of vista is exactly why vista is ****...lol

Vista did also have a lot of compatibility issues upon release which is the problem with the BETA for 7...beta...............

Regarding the OP...just restore manually using the backup created when you upgrade

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 04:08 PM

Apologies for the rant.
    Yeah ok, considering the final version of windows 7 isnt out yet and thats why they declined Vista for use on government pc's. because it didnt work with ANY of the programs that are used. The Computer IT HelpDesk i work at for the government, the pc's meet or well exceed the requirements for Vista. My computer at home has a Dual core AMD processor and 3GB ram and a 1 GB video card with dual hard drives, and Vista barely worked with anything, or many games, until recently. So until you work with and are microsoft certified on XP and Vista dont open your mouth about other people being noobs, when you are the noob yourself.
    02-24-09 08:37 PM
    Is your bb set to auto enable mass storage mode? It needs to be. Sounds like this is your problem.

02-24-09 08:40 PM
    Yeah ok, considering the final version of windows 7 isnt out yet and thats why they declined Vista for use on government pc's. because it didnt work with ANY of the programs that are used. The Computer IT HelpDesk i work at for the government, the pc's meet or well exceed the requirements for Vista. My computer at home has a Dual core AMD processor and 3GB ram and a 1 GB video card with dual hard drives, and Vista barely worked with anything, or many games, until recently. So until you work with and are microsoft certified on XP and Vista dont open your mouth about other people being noobs, when you are the noob yourself.
    Please. The reason governments don't work with Vista is because MOST of the stuff in the government sectors where I worked are about 20 years outdated. There are reasons why you don't continue to develop 8-bit and 16-bit programs and don't make driver support for EISA stuff; its OLD and there are better things to use. The government and local governments also have a lot of proprietary crap that HAS to be developed, so no wonder not much will just work.

The way the government sector works is sad and scary. I worked at a local county government back in 2003 and we were INSTALLING WIN98 on machines as a standard build. They had Compaq servers running dual PIII 800 processors and ONE processor cost $10K to replace, I kid you not. I saw the invoice and about fell over because I had just purchased TWO of the like for under $200. They had a contract with Compaq, which was most of the cost (labor, new service agreeements and a bunch of BS). But that is government for you, so don't act like their standards are something to go by, because they aren't. If they were, we would still be using AS400 systems like they STILL do.

And if you are running Vista with what you say you have and it doesn't work, I'm sorry for you. I have yet to install a Windows OS that didn't work the first time with either the drivers that came with the hardware or that the OS had built in. I've installed and built MANY PCs, so it's not just one here or there. I have run Ultimate on old (Intel Bad Ax, gen 1) and new (XFX 680i chipset) PCs and everything works fine. No issues with memory, video cards, processors, sound drivers, etc. The only issue I have seen is the memory limit pre-SP1 during installs and the simple fact that Vista takes up like 20GB of space and is a memory hog. 3-4GB of RAM should be fine.

I also wouldn't qualify being MS certified as this standard for knowledge on ANY Microsoft operating system. I taught the test and I've trained the test. It's not that hard and simple memorization on some of the test you take to get MCSE will get some people along.

Vista wasn't the best choice when it came out, but they are installing that OS on just about every computer out there now and most of the issues were resolved with SP1 and even before.

I don't care to mess with W7 because I don't need it and I'm slowly weening myself off MS and onto Linux, but I'm sure support for it will come.
    02-24-09 10:12 PM
    Every time I install a beta os, BDM 4.7 on Vista always fails when restoring user data. Every freaking time... "Error restoring database(s)". It is so damn frustrating, I want to take a screwdriver and put it through the front glass. Is it that BDM 4.7 is just garbage?

I have restarted BDM and disconnected the Storm from the computer several times to no avail. And it doesn't matter which database I select to restore. When I get that error, it happens with all of them.

Does anybody have any solutions to avoid this major hassle? Should I install VMWare and Windows XP and do it from there?

alex
    I know this sounds nuts but it is sometimes related to your bb browser cash. Clear the cash,history, and cookies on the bb, reboot both bb and computer and try again

02-24-09 10:27 PM
    It is NOT Vista doing this.
    Before you perform a backup, open the BBbrowser, go to options and then cache. Clear the cache (mainly the "pushed content"). That will take care of it. Again, make sure pushed content is empty.
    02-25-09 06:10 AM
    Cache is king! Clearing out your browser caches will fix this problem.

02-25-09 06:49 AM
    I had this problem as well with XP. The only way I could resolve this believe it or not was to reboot the laptop. Once rebooted I was able to go into my BB Desktop Mgr and go ahead and push my back-ups without an issue. Did you try rebooting the laptop?
    02-25-09 07:08 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD