My theory and probably not a good one at that is that the storm 1 brought a whole new slew of untechnical users to the blackberry suite of products that was previously dominated by a more technical crowed. It only makes sense for rim to decide to scrap the storm 1 and begin constructing storm 2 after thousands and thousands of users complain and demand a new storm when in fact most of the time the issues were simply either the fact that the user was not familiar with first generation devices or it was simply user error. My guess is that they began to see all the complaining being done and took it as a failed launch of a new device when in fact its a great device that simply needs to run the normal product development lifecycle of a first gen device. I fear that all these complainers out there and u know who you are I did a fair share off my venting on here also, but back to what I fear is that rim has given up on those of us that into se this device make it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 08:42 AM
    I like this theory. It makes sense. Plus, as a user who has had little-to-no problems with my Storm, it makes me feel smart!
    05-28-09 09:08 AM
    totally agree with this theory

otherwise we wouldnt be inundated with posters asking how to "unlock wifi" on the storm etc
    05-28-09 10:00 AM
    totally agree with this theory

otherwise we wouldnt be inundated with posters asking how to "unlock wifi" on the storm etc
    Oh yes we would. A new phone (even a smartphone) won't make people any smarter. Just look at how many posts there are complaining about how VZW/God hates us for not releasing new updates - regardless of the fact that they won't improve (or possibly even hinder) our ability to use our phones.

And, yes, I know people (lots and lots of them) are using leaked/hybrid OS's quite sucessfully. That doesn't mean they are right for the masses, which is what a company (i.e. Verizon) is looking for.
    05-28-09 10:03 AM
    i dont see how this theory makes sense. a more intuitive OS would do more for "user error" than a new phone
    05-28-09 10:10 AM
    That's the point I am trying to make. . Users need to realize that the device is fine let rim work out the kinks and stop all this unneeded complaining which appears to have turned rim away from even attempting to make the os better. It appears they designed this phone for the blackberry fans and not the smart phone touch screen unfamiliar with blackberry devices phone . .its`hard to please both crowds and I personally would be upset if they began to go away from what I lila so much about bb devices and start pleasing the other crowd . . If I wanted an iphone I'd just buy one.

05-28-09 10:21 AM
    Oh and not only stop the complaining but also stop all this returning the phones for a new storm . . I don't know how many threads I have read about people returning it�or a new one several times all for the same reason . . Os issues. Come on people the new device is going to act the same as the old one until rim provides updates which they probably won't do because the damage is already done

05-28-09 10:27 AM
    Oh yes we would. A new phone (even a smartphone) won't make people any smarter. Just look at how many posts there are complaining about how VZW/God hates us for not releasing new updates - regardless of the fact that they won't improve (or possibly even hinder) our ability to use our phones.

And, yes, I know people (lots and lots of them) are using leaked/hybrid OS's quite sucessfully. That doesn't mean they are right for the masses, which is what a company (i.e. Verizon) is looking for.
    Exactly. A lot of people bought the storm expecting an uncomplicated fool proof device (see: iphone). They don't seem to fully understand how to maintain and operate the device as efficiently as other more experienced users. Of course this is a massive generalization, but this is why I agree with your theory
    05-28-09 10:29 AM
    I can see where your coming from, even though I don't wholeheartedly agree with you. My friend was complaining about his curve running slow, so I clicked switch applications and he had like 12 apps open at once. Hed never done a battery pull. He actually said the guy at the Sprint store said "never do that, its terrible for your phone".

05-28-09 10:36 AM
    My theory and probably not a good one at that is that the storm 1 brought a whole new slew of untechnical users to the blackberry suite of products that was previously dominated by a more technical crowed. It only makes sense for rim to decide to scrap the storm 1 and begin constructing storm 2 after thousands and thousands of users complain and demand a new storm when in fact most of the time the issues were simply either the fact that the user was not familiar with first generation devices or it was simply user error. My guess is that they began to see all the complaining being done and took it as a failed launch of a new device when in fact its a great device that simply needs to run the normal product development lifecycle of a first gen device. I fear that all these complainers out there and u know who you are I did a fair share off my venting on here also, but back to what I fear is that rim has given up on those of us that into se this device make it.

No the reason is because the Storm got a slew of negative reviews from the press and despite its sales success, I doubt a company like RIM would just sit around and do nothing about it, hence the (I'd assume) immediately development of the Storm 2 not long after the reviews were in for the original Storm.

And no most of these errors aren't due to "user error". My friends have Storms (at least about 10 of them) and they all have their random moments of not working, random reboots, severe lag. My brother's unit had the screen press issue. In seeing them all run, most all of them have some random quirk wrong with it, whether it be hardware or software based. And no my friends (most of them anyway) are not tech illiterate. They're well aware of how Blackberries operate as most of them have previously owned one before and are just tech savvy in general.

Sure you can just download the most recent software leak, but ask you can see, most of the previous leaked builds caused more random bugs (hence why they were never approved for release by Verizon...I never understood why people complained about that, you want VZW to release a release that'd solve some bugs and create new ones in the process?). Besides, no user should have to search the web and download several leaked OS's just to get their phone to operate correctly.

While I like my Storm and mine has had very little problems, I can understand peoples' frustrations and while the phone is a sales success, practicality wise, it's very much a failure.

Glad to see that RIM was so quick to start developing a follow up...lets hope this one actually works reliably over many units.
    Last edited by fecurtis; 05-28-09 at 10:41 AM.
    05-28-09 10:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD