Hi

I should expect weirdness after installing non-network official firmware but:

I installed leaked .109 firmware for my 9500

It appeared to brick after (white screen with 'error 523' and just stuck in reset loop)

Followed advice to reinstall .109 using apploader.

After reinstall, phone booted up with an intial 'this is proprietry RIM firmware, do not do this or that blah blah' then entered usual setup screens but everything was in tiny 'old school' blackberry font and the whole graphical front end of my phone is just like this:
    one white screen with all my icons for software, mailboxes, etc etc all on this one white screen showing as tiny basic little icons! WTF!

Should i reinstall .109 again or go back to an older one? I was fine on .106
    Regret it now.

Anyone else had this?
    02-24-09 05:52 PM
    Hi

I should expect weirdness after installing non-network official firmware but:

I installed leaked .109 firmware for my 9500

It appeared to brick after (white screen with 'error 523' and just stuck in reset loop)

Followed advice to reinstall .109 using apploader.

After reinstall, phone booted up with an intial 'this is proprietry RIM firmware, do not do this or that blah blah' then entered usual setup screens but everything was in tiny 'old school' blackberry font and the whole graphical front end of my phone is just like this:
    one white screen with all my icons for software, mailboxes, etc etc all on this one white screen showing as tiny basic little icons! WTF!

Should i reinstall .109 again or go back to an older one? I was fine on .106
    Regret it now.

Anyone else had this?
    You could try loading .106 to reset everything, then try .109 again.
    02-24-09 05:55 PM
    Thanks will try that,

i have also tried battery pull by the way

Have just discovered that the theme is set as 'None (active)' and the next them in the list is Precision Zen (storm default right?) but it wont let me select it.
    02-24-09 06:01 PM
    Your cod file for the zen theme is missing reload the os make sure you see the zen theme file in the java. Folder for the bb os on the pc

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 06:03 PM
    Thanks will try that,

i have also tried battery pull by the way

Have just discovered that the theme is set as 'None (active)' and the next them in the list is Precision Zen (storm default right?) but it wont let me select it.
    You might want to try and just download a radom theme first and see if loading it fixes the icons. It might just b a glitch.
    02-24-09 06:06 PM
    No no the default zen the cod file controls the other themes I had this on my 8830 when I was goofing with the os trust me. Been there done that

02-24-09 06:11 PM
    Your cod file for the zen theme is missing reload the os make sure you see the zen theme file in the java. Folder for the bb os on the pc

Ok thanks. sorry where is the java folder?

shanepark, ta also. just emailed a the appleberry jad file to my storm (as i had installed it previous on my bb but in fact reverted back to standard storm theme as i preffered it), so ive opened it and it offered to download the theme (1mb) but it immediatly reports error:
    '907 invalid COD
    File not found'

Is this a clue?

think i will try reinstall .109, then .106 if needs be then try a fresh theme.

anyone know where i can get a copy of Precision Zen to install?

ps you guys work fast on this forum. pat on back.
    02-24-09 06:15 PM
    No no the default zen the cod file controls the other themes I had this on my 8830 when I was goofing with the os trust me. Been there done that

Agree. Didnt see your post until after I posted mine. Could he overwrite the bad cod file with crackutil instead of reloading the whole OS?
    02-24-09 06:15 PM
    just waiting for a fresh download of .106 and will wait to see what you chaps suggest re cod file.

all functions of my phone are present, just the non-theme theme is super lame!
    looks like an original old blackberry!
    02-24-09 06:20 PM
    As long as that zen cod file is on his bb he will be good to go

To the op c program files common files research in motion. Shared go to the os then the java foldER that zen cod file has to be in. There and youR icon issueS will be fixed

02-24-09 06:21 PM
    As long as that zen cod file is on his bb he will be good to go

To the op c program files common files research in motion. Shared go to the os then the java foldER that zen cod file has to be in. There and youR icon issueS will be fixed

I've already got this file:
    net_rim_theme_precision_zen_360x480_t.cod

in this folder:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9500-v4.7.0.109_P4.0.0.136\Java

Are you thinking i might not have had it?
    Do I in fact have the zen cod in the right place?
    If so, whats goin on?

Reckon i should try reinstall now?

Thanks for helping
    02-24-09 06:31 PM
    update:

reinstalled .109

still same problem

all advice welcome!
    thanks again for current suggestions peeps
    02-24-09 06:44 PM
    Go for. It dm should just upgrade that one file

02-24-09 06:44 PM
    I'm gonna try .106 as reinstalling .109 didnt do it

Note:
    before installing .109 for the first time (before probs started) i didnt remember to disconnect from the net, i also didnt check to see if the vendor.xml file was removed (it's not there now so guess thats ok) plus i didnt remove older installations of .100 and .106 firmware i have used previous. So i guess this time i was daft to forget the above against this forum's tips for upgrading to leaked OSs, so could that by why my zen in gone?
    To be honest, i didnt know that previously installed OSs could be removed in Add/Remove Programs.

will keep trying

luckily i have backed up my phone 2 days ago so hopefully wont lose much once i get back and running

i guess my problem is not because of .109 as others are upgrdaing to it ok but a commmon problem with BBs?
    02-24-09 06:53 PM
    There is a remote chance the file got corrupted during download. If all else fails, you could try redownloading .109 from the internet.
    02-24-09 07:06 PM
    thanks

have downgraded to .106

all is well now

may try fresh download and reinstall on .109 if feeling brave or if newer firmware appears
    02-24-09 07:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD