Last time when I upgraded my Storm from .75 to .85, Enterprise activation automatically kicked in and completed without having to asking IT to reset BES password. Last night I tried upgrading from .85 to 86. I noticed that the enterprise activation did not start automatically. Besides, the browser is missing too. Phone and data network are working properly. Here is what I did.

Backup everything --> JL_cmder wipe --> Load new OS using DM4.7 --> restore data

I've tried battery pull and resending Service Book. None helped. Please advise the solution.
    01-13-09 10:41 AM
    It's because you did the wipe.
    If you don't do the wipe, it will auto update to your BES.

That has been my experience regardless of OS
    01-13-09 12:00 PM
    It's not because of the wipe. It's because he wasn't plugged into DM on a PC that's on the internal network to his office. If DM can see the BES server (if you're doing the upgrade on your office PC or if you're VPN'd into the office private network) then DM will reactivate the BB to BES without the need for a new password. However, if you don't have this access during the upgrade, the reactivation needs to be done with another password generated by the BES admin. This is how it works... read before you do the upgrades and you won't be surprised.

Browsers are controlled via service books. BIS/BES ones... if you never had access to the BIS browser, then that means that your BES corporate policy stripped it off the phone and they only gave you access to the BES one. With that said, the policy comes back on the phone so the BIS browser will be locked out and you won't have access to your BES browser until BES is reactivated.
    01-13-09 12:13 PM
    It's because you did the wipe.
    If you don't do the wipe, it will auto update to your BES.

That has been my experience regardless of OS
    Hum... when I upgraded from .75 to .85, I did the true wipe using JL_rmder thought... The activation automatically kicked in after upgrade.
    01-13-09 12:14 PM
    Wiping is a really bad idea I think unless RIM somehow offers an official means to do a wipe.
    01-13-09 12:15 PM
    It's not because of the wipe. It's because he wasn't plugged into DM on a PC that's on the internal network to his office. If DM can see the BES server (if you're doing the upgrade on your office PC or if you're VPN'd into the office private network) then DM will reactivate the BB to BES without the need for a new password. However, if you don't have this access during the upgrade, the reactivation needs to be done with another password generated by the BES admin. This is how it works... read before you do the upgrades and you won't be surprised.

Browsers are controlled via service books. BIS/BES ones... if you never had access to the BIS browser, then that means that your BES corporate policy stripped it off the phone and they only gave you access to the BES one. With that said, the policy comes back on the phone so the BIS browser will be locked out and you won't have access to your BES browser until BES is reactivated.
    I think you told the trick. I did the 75->85 when I was in my office. 85->86 from home. So, if I redo the upgrade, it'll start activating again, right? I hate to ask IT for password.
    01-13-09 12:20 PM
    I did the same, I disconnected from the Internet as specified on the Upgrade Post, that is probably why it didn't connect to the BES. I will have to ask IT for a new Password...
    01-20-09 12:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD