This is not a true rant. It is a tale of disappointment.

Try as I might, I couldn't get over the issues with my Storm and the fact I've become addicted to sitting on the Forums in hope of a miracle cure for the Storm by way of software. I don't need that level of distraction, it's a phone and I made a poor choice. Don't get me wrong, the phone WILL be a great device, it just came a year too soon for its software and I'm sick of being a crash test dummy. My choice was poor in that I should have got a mature product, not a ground-breaking device.

After persevering for the last 6 weeks or so (which is a life-time for me with phones) I gave up and bought another Pearl Flip yesterday and shifted over. All I can say is I'm calm again. After 10 hours today I have 85% battery, perfect coverage, no drop outs, smaller size etc.

What I give up is a bigger screen and easier reading of emails and attachments, but what's the point of having that if the unit needs battery pulls regularly, becomes sluggish over time, unresponsive, VSOD's occasionally?

For me, it's a business tool - a messaging device using email, SMS, PINs etc as well as a calendar and above all a PHONE. I won't give away my Storm like I do all my other phones when I change. I'll wait for the Gold Code and see if RIM and the Storm deliver on the promise made in the hype that sold me in the first place.
    03-15-09 02:14 AM
    I can't argue with that logic, I made a similar move and bought a Curve, like you I will keep the Storm hoping that it becomes the device I hoped it would be. Good luck with your Pearl, and good that you kept it in the family.
    Last edited by armedtank; 03-15-09 at 10:45 AM.
    03-15-09 02:26 AM
    I don't think there are a whole lot of people here that can blame you. Especially if it used for business. It's not good if your phone helps you lose business.

I hope you enjoy your BB Pearl and the peace of mind it will give you until RIM can work it's kinks out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 02:31 AM
    Thanks for that. Yeah, it is a business phone (surprise, surprise) and even though I LOVE messing with OS's etc, I had to make the call and give up. I've tried all the platforms out there, WinMo, iPhone, Symbian etc. ONLY the Blackberry works with my MS Outlook and my server email correctly which is why I try not to stray too far from RIM.

I've had a Pearl Flip previously until my brother took it from me when his Motorola V9 Gold Versace dress up toy died. As we work together it was no big deal to me, so I got the Storm as that was the latest and greatest.

But now, I'm back on the Flip which is exactly what I should have done when I had my phone commandeered!
    03-15-09 02:43 AM
    I gave up my Storm yesterday for a Curve. Paid full retail too! I had my Storm since 11/21, but couldn't take it anymore. It froze up, had poor battery life and was unpredictable. I too use my BB for business and couldn't tolerate the mishaps. I will however miss the screen which was big and beautiful.
    03-15-09 06:40 AM
    Finally, someone who took some personal responsibility. Instead of continually whining here about things, you did something about it. If only more of the whiners in this forum could follow your example.
    03-15-09 09:27 AM
    Not sure how the pearl is considered a business device, but if your happy I'm happy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 12:47 PM
    Finally, someone who took some personal responsibility. Instead of continually whining here about things, you did something about it. If only more of the whiners in this forum could follow your example.
    Are you kidding me? What logic is in your response here? He had to pay full price for a new phone and essentially lost the money he spent on the Storm. Factor in the loss of business productivity and time spent loading beta OS's etc and it's a grand waist of time.

I still have a Storm and am on the verge of replacing with a curve. I have the latest beta OS on and it still reboots and now I cannot get the number pad when I am on a phone call. The fun just never ends.
    03-15-09 01:00 PM
    I almost got the storm about a month after its GROUND breaking release. Thank God I got the curve instead. The curve is an awsome phone,at least for me.All I ever really hear about on here is what a peice of crap the storm is.Just too many issues with the software. Like I read in a rely before mine A device before its time.Iam also sure it may at one time be a great phone but when I buy some thing I want it to work the way it was intended to.
    03-15-09 01:20 PM
    I too am going back to a Curve once I can fnd a cheap one to buy and sell my Storm. Even Crucial Extreme seems to be absent from the Storm forums so this gives me an idea that the Storm as it is, is not going to get much better. He seems to be lurking in the Niagra forum which in my opinion will just demolish the Storm when it comes out...wifi or not. It will outsell the Storm by leaps and bounds.

The Storm is a good phone but its just not ready for prime time.

Hopefully by the time I sell the Storm, a new OS comes out and save the day. Yes, it needs a new OS! Going from leaked builds to another is just flat out nuts. Stick with eithe .75 or 109 and get a life.
    03-15-09 01:31 PM
    By leaving the Storm I did have to pay full retail for my Pearl Flip ($550 Aussie dollars) but it's not the first time nor the last time I'll have to shell out for a phone.

The Pearl IS a business device like the Curve, just in a smaller form factor and with Suretype which I love as the keys are bigger for my fat stumpy thumbs. As I said earlier, the only thing I really miss of the Storm's is the bigger richer screen. I don't miss the hassles and the waiting for things to get better.

I should have known something was up with this phone when I got on this Forum and found that the Storm had such a massive amount of space on the Forum. It took years for all the other Blackberry units to fill the Forum but the Storm has more than doubled the size of the Forum in months. One device alone! Just check the TODAYS POSTS option - it comes in two flavours, one WITH Storm posts and one WITHOUT.

Enough said.
    03-15-09 03:59 PM
    lol @ the pearl flip as a business device. you sell lipstick and high heels or something? did it also come with a skirt?

all kidding aside, congrats on the new bb and finding one that goes with your stockings (ok that was my last jab ). sucks you had to pay full price though. maybe you can recoup some of that if you can find some poor chap to sell your storm to...

03-15-09 06:56 PM
    lol @ the pearl flip as a business device. you sell lipstick and high heels or something? did it also come with a skirt?

all kidding aside, congrats on the new bb and finding one that goes with your stockings (ok that was my last jab ). sucks you had to pay full price though. maybe you can recoup some of that if you can find some poor chap to sell your storm to...

Yeah, good on ya!

It's not the prettiest device when compared to Motorolas, BUT the screen is bigger than an 8100 Pearl as is the keyboard. And I don't think anyone disputes the 8100 Pearl wasn't a business device.

Anyway, in my role my messages to my staff are usually short. Their reports to me tend to be a little longer, so the Pearl fits the bill. Also, when it's closed the call is over - can be very important at times!
    03-15-09 07:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD