This is not a bashing, more of a venting. And a goodbye to the Storm.

I really, really wanted this phone to be great. But I cannot deal with this buggy operating system any longer. Today it finally cost me big.

Between sluggish performance, sometimes inconsistent email retrieval through BIS, and questionable BT quality, I was still overall pretty happy. I've tried a few of the beta OS, always they are having problems especially after a couple of weeks of being on the phone, performance takes a nosedive, it's really weird.

The end came this week. Now my Storm refuses to sync calendars with either iCal or Entourage. It never had this problem before, and I haven't added anything to my phone or computer. Then today the final straw broke, not only did a sync of my Storm not sync the calendar, it DELETED all my calendar items on my computer. I tried everything, including downgrading to .75, still the same problems.

I bought a BB for two reasons, email and a good PIM for my work. I am down to just the email, I have no trust in this phone to hold my appointments. And I have no faith in RIM and VZW supporting this phone, especially with the Storm 2 coming.

Thankfully I have a replacement in hand, my iPod Touch. Ever since I got it it's become my go-to device at home on Wi-Fi for email, browsing, and my PIM needs. The OS is so smooth and things just work, just like on my Macbook. And I can live without the push email, in return for knowing I have a stable OS and device.

I'm not going to leave Verizon, so an iPhone is not in the cards for me until it comes to VZW. That being said, I do intend on getting the MiFi to give my iTouch the out-of-house access I'll need. And the monthly costs for that will be the same as the BB with BIS and tethering is.

My hopes are first that I'll run into a sympathetic VZW salesperson that will be willing to let me trade in this Storm for something like an Env2, because at this point all I need the phone fore is reliable phone, text and picture messaging, and a decent camera.

Barring that, I'll pop it on eBay and recover my money and pay full price for a new phone I guess and not have to pay much out of pocket. Amazingly used Storms are still selling for $200+.

It's too bad, I really wanted this to work. We all have our limits though, and I'm not enough of a BlackBerry fanboy to keep turning a blind eye to these shortcomings and issues.
    05-13-09 12:29 PM
    i'd trade in any product that gave me that much frustration too. It's not for everyone.

Though the resale price is not at all surprising. TONS of people are thrilled with this device. CB is not a good sample group for perspective
    05-13-09 12:48 PM
    The sync problem sounds like a DM problem to me *shrug*

Anyhoo...sorry for your loss.

I haven't had to turn my 20/20 eyes from any shortcomings

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 12:57 PM
    Good say goodbye to the devil. I know you can trade it for a curve because I did with ou a prob. Verizon knows they missed the ball and everything else with this device. Cnets review is so correct giving this device 2 stars out of 5.

05-13-09 01:04 PM
    Good say goodbye to the devil. I know you can trade it for a curve because I did with ou a prob. Verizon knows they missed the ball and everything else with this device. Cnets review is so correct giving this device 2 stars out of 5.

I've heard of "dropped the ball" ...but "missed the ball"? is that even a phrase?

lol @ a phone being the devil..i knew he was hiding around here somewhere
    Last edited by kinggeoff; 05-13-09 at 01:15 PM.
    05-13-09 01:13 PM
    Ha ha. Yea just hate getting ripped off. The storm was a mistake.

05-13-09 02:59 PM
    If u rely on your phone to keep u fed then ummmm yeah I would have pulled the trigger after something like that
    05-13-09 03:02 PM
    The sync problem sounds like a DM problem to me *shrug*

Anyhoo...sorry for your loss.

I haven't had to turn my 20/20 eyes from any shortcomings

I would agree if not for the fact that this started to happen on its own without me adding anything to either the Storm or the Mac anytime recently beforehand. I'm not 100% sure I can pin the blame on the .132 update even because it was working fine with that for weeks before this all started.

Something got corrupted and the problem sadly is un-fixable for me, having uninstalled and reinstalled Missing Sync, wiped and installed several different betas, wiped and reinstalled .75 even. I even tried uninstalling Missing Sync and going with Pocketmac, no joy.

I know that RIM was forced into releasing this sooner than they wanted to, but to be 7 months into it and still not have a bug-free operating system speaks loudly to just how not ready they were.

Hopefully for the rest of you you will continue to have good success with your Storm, and maybe the Storm 2 will be the stable device that people hoped for.
    05-15-09 07:06 AM

My experiences with this have soured me on BB, especially in light of my great experiences with Apple. There was a time in my life when I would gladly be the guinea pig working out the kinks (I was a beta tester for Windows 95, was spending countless hours working through the never-ending stream of issues). Those days are long past.

Right now the worst case seems to be that I can cover the costs of most any phone I will be getting if I have to pay full price, since my smart phone needs are covered. I'll wipe the device, reinstall .75, and probably get back $250+ for this since there are no manual defects or scratches and I'll have a case and holster as part of the eBay sale.

I'm going to take a good look at the Alias 2, that seems to have gotten off to a hot start.

Peace.
    05-15-09 07:12 AM

Are you a robo poster? I swear most of your posts say the same exact thing...its so redundant man....just be glad you dont have a phone that gave YOU headaches
    05-15-09 07:17 AM
    I agree man I wanted the storm to work out so bad, but it didn't so I had to go back to the tried and true curve. It simply was rushed out for the holliday season.

05-15-09 08:32 AM
    Well I have my Alias2 in hand, and my MiFi connected to my 2G iPod Touch. Combined these outperform the Storm night and day. It would be nice to have everything in one device, but that won't happen for me until the iPhone comes to Verizon.

Good luck to everyone, and a sincere thanks to all of CB for all the help. Best of luck!!
    05-19-09 07:56 PM
    Wow. I'm sorry about your phone. At least you have something to keep your appointments in (ipod touch). My storm hasn't given me problems that some are experiencing. The curve is blackberries best device maybe you should give it a go?

05-19-09 08:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD