Hey everyone, earlier today I dun' goofed and dropped my phone on concrete, screen down. (Which kills me, I'm probably the most careful person ever with my phone!)

Regardless, it is still working (thanks, RIM!), and I'm thinking to wait until the device finally hits end of life next month and then a bit after that to turn it in for my insurance claim.
    I know the odds of me getting the refresh are slim, and I'm not being a noob claiming RIM owes me and such (so don't immediately jump to that conclusion). BUT I do know that Verizon did do some Tour/Bold swaps for people at the end of life. Did this happen simply because the 9630 stock was depleted? Or do you think that a 9550/9580 (assumed) swap could happen for some customers as well? I can live with my screen this way if it means I could potentially get BB6.
    Thanks for your input :P
    Last edited by aubinhick990; 09-08-10 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added a pic
    09-08-10 01:23 PM
    It is possible at some point, but I wouldn't count on it, especially in the first 3-6 months. I would say you would have a better chance if it were a warranty claim through VZW too instead of an insurance claim through assurion. Either way though, they will have plenty of left over new units and refurbs for awhile, so getting a refresh would be complete luck I think or a very nice rep.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-10 01:39 PM
    Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking...that they'll probably have Storm2s in stock for a few months past October. I'm due for a yearly upgrade in March/April...so it would be pointless anyways.
    09-08-10 01:41 PM
    And as far as I'm aware, I have never really seen anyone snatching up Storm2's since they came out... So I'm sure there will be plenty in stock for a while after EOL.

09-08-10 01:57 PM
    Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking...that they'll probably have Storm2s in stock for a few months past October. I'm due for a yearly upgrade in March/April...so it would be pointless anyways.
    Oh man, that pic of your screen made me cringe. Sorry it happened! I personally would not be able to hold out until March 2011 for another phone with my beloved Storm 2 cracked and busted. Maybe you can find a relatively inexpensive replacement on craigslist or ebay to tie you over. There are curves going for $25 to $50.
    09-08-10 02:33 PM
    With the S2 still $149 contract price I'm bettin they'll have plenty left for replacements for a while. They'd give u a new S2 before they'd give u a refresh. I'm sure they still have S1's available even. Don't hold your breath...

09-08-10 05:14 PM
    Even after the EOL, doesn't Verizon still give out refurbished storm2s that are left over?
    09-08-10 06:35 PM
    Even after the EOL, doesn't Verizon still give out refurbished storm2s that are left over?
    09-08-10 07:05 PM
    I guess they will. RIM doesn't stop manufacturing S2s just because Verizon decides to EOL it. I mean, some countries only just got the S2.
    09-08-10 08:21 PM
    Well, unless RIM and VZW come up with a new device, I am moving to the Droid 2. This is not an idle statement, I have been using a Droid 2 for about 10 days and will have to give it up shortly. I don't want to.

It is fast, the graphics are tremendous, the apps are good but it does have draw backs. Mostly not and international phone. A hold back for me. But it seems that RIM is about to lose its command. I do not use BBM so that would not hold me. The outages of late on BIS have become annoying. Yes there is a delay with email unless it is gmail, but I can wait the 15 minutes or less.
    09-09-10 06:23 AM
    Well, unless RIM and VZW come up with a new device, I am moving to the Droid 2. This is not an idle statement, I have been using a Droid 2 for about 10 days and will have to give it up shortly. I don't want to.

It is fast, the graphics are tremendous, the apps are good but it does have draw backs. Mostly not and international phone. A hold back for me. But it seems that RIM is about to lose its command. I do not use BBM so that would not hold me. The outages of late on BIS have become annoying. Yes there is a delay with email unless it is gmail, but I can wait the 15 minutes or less.
    I made the switch from BB to Droid and back again. Droid was fun to play around with as it was a new operating system but after the newness wore off and my Droid X got replaced twice due to lemon devices, I opted to come back to the fold.

Good luck with the Droid 2.
    09-09-10 07:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD