My prediction:

1. Blackberry has irreparably damaged it's reputation with the Storm. If they don't have the programming knowledge to fix an OS for a new generation device, they are not going to survive in a market that demands it. RIM has dragged this out too long. The Storm will never be fixed. If it fixable, it would have been done by now. The average user has to pull their battery at least once a day. I have to do it about three times a day.

2. Apple obviously knows how to program and has the team of people to do it. They will run with this position and will focus more on the business market and end up crushing RIM at their own game.

3. Other players such as Google/Tmobile and Palm will also encroach in this space and take the market. Again, Google and Palm have stronger programming teams and will be able to take market away from RIM. They also have demonstrated products and teams who have been able to produce stable products. Although the Palm Web OS is new, it's well written and better executed.

4. RIM will either re-write the Storm OS or completely give up and release another device with some type of weak trade up program. Customers will feel betrayed and dismayed and walk away from BB.

5. Apple will soon release a new IPhone with updated hardware specs with a more solid shell and resolve the screen issues and durability for business owners. Many of the hardware advantages will disappear.

Folks, if the Storm was fixable, it would have been done already. I am sure the developers they have are either not strong enough to fix this thing or there are just unresolvable hardware issues. How many betas are they going to release until the issues are fixed?

Every beta fixes two things and breaks three. The current beta is worse that 109. What does that say? That says that this device cannot be fixed. If software breaks more than it fixes, it points to hardware issues. I am now on a beta version that made the stability worse and took away the ability to conference call, get to my number pad, etc.

Wake up Storm owners - this is a lost cause. I would have moved off the Storm a long time ago, however, the alternative phones are not that appealing. I can't go to the curve because I travel internationally.
    03-22-09 07:11 PM
    I don't think it's the END of Blackberry as you put it...but I tend to agree with a lot of what you posted here. Except 4, they won't admit that this phone was a flop.
    03-22-09 07:13 PM
    I like my Storm. Many of the earlier bugs have been ironed out. Further, more and more apps are being ported for the Storm and they work quite well for what I need. I tried using a friend's Bold last weekend I found it pretty hard to work with the keyboard and trackball.

Call quality is great. I've found that the onscreen keyboard took some adjustment, but I can do a pretty fast 30 wpm with just my thumbs now. Practice makes perfect.

I do think RIM rolled out the product too soon. I was pretty sour on it for the first month or too. The OS seems to be fairly stable now and I don't do battery pulls any more often than owners of other BB models.
    03-22-09 07:38 PM
    You called Chef?

Might want to do some homework before you start trying to read the future

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-09 07:46 PM
    I am amazed at how short peoples memories are. The initial iPhone had a lot of trouble and it took a new hardware release to even make it a modern device (3G). Now the 3G is finally getting MMS, cut and past and true SMS. After how long? Perhaps RIM would have made people like the OP happier if they just didn't try and push the envelope with a full featured phone.

As for the issues with the leaked OS. They are just that LEAKED - not meant for general consumption. Perhaps the OP would prefer we get no disability into the future like our friends at Apple do.

03-22-09 07:47 PM
    I do so hate the Web 2.0rhea era where everyone thinks that everyone else cares what they think just because they can manage to type something into a text box. Someone reads an article in Business Weekly and suddenly they're a market expert.

You bought a phone and it wasn't everything you expected it to be. That sucks, but we don't need some big long whining post about it. Just suck it up and get on with your life. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Sometimes you come out a winner, sometimes you play the loser, but you have to make a CHOICE to be the f ucking crybaby when things don't work out exactly like you want. Just shut up and go stand somewhere where no one can see you.

No one wants to hear you whine about things, or act like you're some kind of market expert when you quite clearly have no clue what you are talking about. I barely had to get 3 sentences in to see that you've never written a line of code in your life, so listening to you prattle on about how RIM can't program this, and Apple can program that, is completely meaningless. You have absolutely no concept of what it is to write code. So seriously... Just shut up, and go cry in the corner or something... Frankly, I don't care what you do, but don't waste everyone's time and bandwidth with this idiotic drivel. When you actually have some idea what you're talking about, feel free to come back. Until then, stick to whatever it is you do know. I don't know, or even care, what that is, I just know it's not embedded systems programming.
    03-22-09 08:13 PM
    Whatever...
    03-22-09 08:20 PM
    Actually I programmed for six years so I understand it. Just close the thread moderator. These forums are pointless.
    03-22-09 08:22 PM
    Actually I programmed for six years so I understand it. Just close the thread moderator. These forums are pointless.
    In what? QBASIC?

Edit: And while I'm at it... If you think these threads are pointless, why did you make one?
    Last edited by bigman2; 03-22-09 at 08:31 PM.
    03-22-09 08:29 PM
    They are pointless because of people like you. I programmed in assembly as well as C ++. I also have experience in C sharp. I also hold dual Bachelor's in Marketing and PR but like you said, I don't have a clue as to what I am talking about - that's why I feel they are pointless. People like you judge before you have any facts.

BTW, I also hold thousands of dollars in RIM stock. I believed in the company and thought they would fix this thing. Now I regret buying the stock.
    03-22-09 08:40 PM
    Thanks, Nostradamus.
    I'm Stormin' away with .109 and very happy.

I predict you will have an 8830 on T-Mobile......
    Oh wait! You do!
    Dang, I'm good!
    03-22-09 08:47 PM
    no i dissagre 100%
    03-22-09 08:48 PM
    I think if the Niagra comes out without many bugs, the storm will pass over and they will continue as usual.
    03-22-09 08:50 PM
    bla bla bla im a cry baby b!tch. dude get a life take your ******** preditions and shove them up your a$$
    03-22-09 08:52 PM
    Well although that's you opinion and I respect it I have the newly released .114v2 and it works very very good. Also, I have heard from 2 people that have RIM's beta OS's (they say on the phones it says .112) that its not even the same phone, that it works and functions seamless; transitions are on par with I-phone. People are fast to forget, my brother got the Iphone the day it came out... (first gen) That thing had serious issues. These issues weren't fixed for several several months...
    03-22-09 08:54 PM
    I love that!
    He starts the thread and then says close it at post #8.
    What a Cracker! Just Hi-larious!
    03-22-09 08:57 PM
    It is not the end of RIM. Blackberries are popular due to their excellent enterprise connectivity. This will only get better when the next version of BES is released. RIM has an advantage because they do mobile business communications better than anyone in the game. Period. They will enjoy this advantage for quite a while, they have built their reputation on it. The Enterprise is not as fickle as the consumer market, the Enterprise will stick with RIM until RIM gives them a business reason not to. The Storm is not that reason. The majority of my larger clients wouldn't even consider the Storm for their enterprise, too many ways to goof off on company time. A multimedia phone is NOT what your IT manager wants for his or her employees, trust me on this.

The Storm is Verizon and RIM's admittedly feeble attempt to keep from losing customers to Apple and AT&T and to build up their presence in the quickly growing CONSUMER smartphone market. Many here say the Storm is not an iPhone competitor, but that is false, they are after the same customer demographic simple as that. I will say that if RIM doesn't pull something out of their *** and make the Storm the device they promised, they might be toast in the consumer market, but until someone does mobile enterprise connectivity better, RIM will remain on top there.
    Last edited by armedtank; 03-22-09 at 09:04 PM.
    03-22-09 08:58 PM
    They are pointless because of people like you. I programmed in assembly as well as C ++. I also have experience in C sharp. I also hold dual Bachelor's in Marketing and Page Ranking but like you said, I don't have a clue as to what I am talking about - that's why I feel they are pointless. People like you judge before you have any facts.

BTW, I also hold thousands of dollars in RIM stock. I believed in the company and thought they would fix this thing. Now I regret buying the stock.
    Seriously???? Are you really poating all of these statements??? And you don't even have a Storm presently? Now I understand that you supposedly have your bachelors degree and previously worked in programming but lets be honest here...you opened a thread and started spewing blasphemous statements then decide to have the thread closed after there is a minor amount of opinion-ated rebuttal? Not to mention the fact that you supposedly have stock in this company which you believe is supposedly destined to fail soon and that we should heed your warning or something...sell your stock already!!!!!! Stop coming into the Storm forums and acting like you got your credentials out of a box of cereal as a prize. I mean lets grow up 'Peter Pan', 'Count Choc-cula'!!!!!!
    03-22-09 09:11 PM
    They are pointless because of people like you. I programmed in assembly as well as C ++. I also have experience in C sharp. I also hold dual Bachelor's in Marketing and Page Ranking but like you said, I don't have a clue as to what I am talking about - that's why I feel they are pointless. People like you judge before you have any facts.

And I repeat: Whatever

The Storm is a single item out of how many handhelds in their product line? And that's not looking at their software line. That's the first thing incorrect about your post.

The Storm itself is nowhere near as flawed as you think nor the trolls attempt to make out. Having dropped my phone twice (in a regular leather hip holster) from heights over 15', I can say without thought it is solidly constructed... and recommend anyone playing on ladders leave their phone safely on the ground. Despite being laggy as ****, .65 was stable as was .75. Which brings me to the next thing incorrect about your post: leaked != released. There is nothing official about anything out there beyond .75. They may as well be considered stolen prototypes.

The next thing obviously incorrect about your post is the assumption Apple knows how to program. The 2nd generation of a phone they designed from the ground up still has deal-breaking bugs and completely obvious oversights. For example: They intentionally do not include the ability to MMS (yes I know the 3.0 will finally add it), tell people to use email to send pictures.... And only let you send 1 picture per message?!? Hello??? That was so blatantly obvious I never knew about it, assuming that a basic email attachment functionality was there. I had to ask my girlfriend, who owns a 3G, if it were true. And as for bugs... why not go take a look at any forum or subforum, like theiphoneblog.com or howardforums.com, and you'll see posts from users about known bugs. Nevermind the initial iPhone release OS that couldn't hold a 3g connection, or any signal for that matter, reliably.

The most glaring thing incorrect in your posts is the assumption that your experience in programming or eduction has any relevance in programming a complex operating system for any device. You might be able to code your way through a search engine spider and figure out how to get jimbospr0nhut.com top listing in Google but you experience in Marketing and Page Listings mean very little in a large scale, collaborative code project like an operating system.

So to finish, like I respond to cereal spiller...

Troll Post!
    'K? Thanx! Buh-Bye!
    03-22-09 09:13 PM
    Four months since release and we're ready to write off the Storm and RIM? I'm still running .75 and tho there are a few bugs, its nothing that's gonna get me to drop the Storm or BB.

03-22-09 09:16 PM
    Actually... if you think about it.. since phones ARE becoming a matter of software over hardware... and since RIM has really been a one trick pony up to now (BIS/BES w/ keyboards) ... I really don't see how you can look at how it has handled the Bold and the Storm and go, "Yea, these guys are learning their much needed lessons... "

Seriously?
    03-22-09 09:16 PM
    One phone isn't going to end a company. They have tons of other phones like Curve, Pearl, Bold...etc. They still have dominant of the e-mail over any other smart phone. They might have issues with the Storm but with each new OS, it's getting better.

What about the iPod, don't forget, they had TONS of issues when it came out. Plus BB is allowing 3rd party apps so that is also a factor to issues with BB. with iPhone, they didn't allow 3rd party apps. But then when people figured out how to do it, they bricked tons of iphone and the only way to recover them was to get a new one.

So lets not talk about the iPhone, what about the G1, tons of issues when it came out. What about all WinMo based smart phones, they all have tons of issues.
    03-22-09 09:21 PM
    Actually... if you think about it.. since phones ARE becoming a matter of software over hardware... and since RIM has really been a one trick pony up to now (BIS/BES w/ keyboards) ... I really don't see how you can look at how it has handled the Bold and the Storm and go, "Yea, these guys are learning their much needed lessons... "

Seriously?
    Lol, ok I'll answer you seriously...

Worse comes to worse, RIM will fire a bunch of people and bring in someone new to bring them up to snuff. It's too easy to hire what you need and I see RIM doing so sometime this year actually. Someone to give their operating systems a 'new look'
    03-22-09 09:22 PM
    I mean lets grow up 'Peter Pan', 'Count Choc-cula'!!!!!!
    Hey! Don't lump Count Chocula in with this guy! It's an awesome cereal. The choc marshmallow bats RULE!!!
    03-22-09 09:28 PM
    Hey! Don't lump Count Chocula in with this guy! It's an awesome cereal. The choc marshmallow bats RULE!!!
    rofl!!!! touche' sorry was in the pissed off zone when I wrote it...
    03-22-09 09:38 PM
98 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD