I am losing my mind, I make sure I lock my phone with a pin because I lost a phone once and it was a real disaster with contacts and information on it and it wasnt locked. (I realize this is a minimal attempt, but I have to at least try.)

However, twice now, I have accidentally hit the make emergency call button, and when confirms with a "Are you sure want to make an emergency call" Prompt when I go to hit NO, I still end up, some how, hitting YES.

Obviously, the 911 Operators have better things to do than listen to me appologize for this annoyance....

Is there any way to change this? Remove it? or do i need to stop locking my phone...

I feel absolutely stupid over this - and I do notice the phone drifting over to other buttons when I type.I've owned this thing for a week now - its insane to me to keep missing buttons like this.

Any help or laughing hysterically at my sillyness is much appreciated.
    11-29-08 01:07 PM
    I honestly wish they wouldn't put an emergency call button on the phone, if I want to make an emergency call I will deliberately dial 911. I mean part of the reason 9-1-1 was chosen is because 9 and 1 were far from each other on a rotary dial so that accidental dials wouldn't happen!
    11-29-08 01:14 PM
    Ironically, my personal favorite at work is when we get a misdial 911 because someone was programming a speed dial in. *rolls eyes*
    11-29-08 01:22 PM
    I honestly wish they wouldn't put an emergency call button on the phone, if I want to make an emergency call I will deliberately dial 911. I mean part of the reason 9-1-1 was chosen is because 9 and 1 were far from each other on a rotary dial so that accidental dials wouldn't happen!
    It's useful for those that lock our phones.
    11-29-08 01:33 PM
    Well, at least on the Q, I could dial 9-1-1 in the "enter password" section...

but this is ridiculous.
    11-29-08 01:39 PM
    Well, at least on the Q, I could dial 9-1-1 in the "enter password" section...

but this is ridiculous.
    On second thought, this is something where there's a fine line between too easy to call 911 and to difficult in case of emergencies.

I haven't had a real need to call 911 or an accidental press, but I think this is a case where if enough people complain to VZW, they would change the design. Arguing that 911 was getting too many false positives from Storm phones would be a good impetus for VZW to change the design.
    11-29-08 01:48 PM
    When I lock my phone I don't get an "emergency" option. Did you set yours up for that?
    Last edited by Clover86; 11-29-08 at 09:34 PM.
    11-29-08 02:00 PM
    When I lock my phone I don't get an "emergence" option. Did you set yours up for that?
    Do you have yours set with a password? I believe that if you just lock your screen and use the top button to unlock, you won't see this. I've confirmed that it was on my old curve and this phone (when setting a password)

I have the same thing on mine (thank god i haven't called 911 yet).

Jim
    11-29-08 05:08 PM
    they are required to do so by law.

All cell phones, whether in service or not must always be able to access a local 911 operator. The E911 law cross-references here as all cell phones have GPS to route them to the nearest 911 call center.

'E911' Turns Cell Phones into Tracking Devices

I have many old cell phones and they all even when disconnected have the ability to make and emergency call from the home screen
    11-29-08 05:45 PM
    they are required to do so by law.

All cell phones, whether in service or not must always be able to access a local 911 operator. The E911 law cross-references here as all cell phones have GPS to route them to the nearest 911 call center.

'E911' Turns Cell Phones into Tracking Devices

I have many old cell phones and they all even when disconnected have the ability to make and emergency call from the home screen
    You didn't read my post at all, or you quoted the wrong person. What you said has nothing to do with what I said.
    11-29-08 08:56 PM
    You didn't read my post at all, or you quoted the wrong person. What you said has nothing to do with what I said.
    Actually, it does. If the phone is locked, and there is no emergency call button available, you can't call 911.
    11-29-08 09:20 PM
    I don't have a password (I don't need one and I'm not that anal) so when my phone is locked I don't have an Emergency call button
    11-29-08 09:33 PM
    Actually, it does. If the phone is locked, and there is no emergency call button available, you can't call 911.
    thats the part i was referring to.
    11-30-08 01:10 PM
    I just encountered this with my new storm. What a stupid idea especially with a touch screen.

Here in BC, there are Radio adds (provided by 911) asking people to NOT program 911 into their cell phone.
    12-11-08 05:09 PM
    I don't have a solution, but I noticed the possibility of an issue here when I setup my phone PW as well...as mentioned, WinMo devices have the ability to dial 911 on the PW screen, which IMO is the RIGHT way to do it.

I would imagine VZW will wise up to this sooner or later and make it right.

I'm curious now - how is it setup on VZW devices like the Dare and Omnia?
    12-11-08 05:24 PM
    Now my phone is locked into "Emergency Callback Mode". I can not use my phone.

This is a bad feature!!!
    12-11-08 05:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD