I did this to my storm and it works fine...

Instructions below

Before You Begin:
    Your Storm must be unlocked. If it's not, I know someone who can unlock it. Just contact me on here. You Need a T-Mobile SIM Card With An Active BlackBerry Data Plan Desk Top Manager 4.6 or Higher installed. This is the disc that came with your phone or can be downloaded HERE

What You Need:
    Download and install CrackUtil to your PC
    CrackUtil.zip
    (you will need a crackberry account to download this, it takes 2 min to register) or you can try to go find this file elsewhere but this is a guaranteed safe download

SPECIAL CRACKUTIL INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR MICROSOFT VISTA USERS.
    For Microsoft Vista, an additional step is needed after installation on all versions. Right click on the CrackUtil icon and scroll to Properties. Select Properties and then on the next panel, select Compatability and then click Run this program as an administrator. This only need to be done once right after installation. Note the check in the Run this program as an administrator box. This only has to be done once. Thanks Pete6!

Please see attachments below for T-Mobile Service Books.

Download/Save the Service Books to your desktop, right click on the Zip file and select "Extract All". Inside is one .ipd file. You'll come back to it in Step 2.

STEP #1

Connect the Storm (and leave connected throughout the procedure) to pc and open CrackUtil. Enter your password if you use one. Select the File Manipulation Tab, then select Retrieve File Listing. Scroll down until you see the module net_rim_bb_browser_daemon Click on it and select "Remove File From Device".You will get a Grid Index Out of Range message at this point. That's normal, close CrackUtil. The Storm will be in the process of rebooting and may have an "Uncaught Exception Error" This is normal.

STEP #2

Now, Open Desktop Manager and go to Back up and Restore>Advanced. You will see the Storm's databases in the box on the right. Over the box on the left, select File>Open. Locate and Double click on the Service books .ipd file you downloaded and extracted earlier. They should now be in the left box. Single click to highlight them in the left box and hit the bottom of the two middle buttons to transfer them to the Storm. When that is done, return to the Main Menu, then close Desktop Manager.

STEP #3

Open CrackUtil. Go to the File Manipulation Tab, select Load File to Device A window will open containing the net_rim_bb_browser_daemon module you removed. Double click on it to replace it. When thats done you can Exit CrackUtil. You can now disconnect from pc. The Storm will be in the process of rebooting.

You should have a Fully Functional Browser now. Resend your email service books from T-Mobileto restore your email. Also you need TCP configurations in Options>Advanced Options>TCP. APN should say wap.voicestream.com Nothing under user name or password.

If you are using an unlocked Verizon Storm and have "Activation Required" on your home screen or your phone number displays incorrectly, Dial # # 000000 (Send). In the Menu, change the mobile directory number to your phone number and select save. The device will reboot and activate/display the correct number.

Hope this helps... let me know how it worked and contact me if you have any questions.
    Tried this earlier this week for my Storm2. It didn't help.
    06-10-10 01:31 PM
    I did this to my storm and it works fine...

Instructions below

Before You Begin:
    Your Storm must be unlocked. If it's not, I know someone who can unlock it. Just contact me on here. You Need a T-Mobile SIM Card With An Active BlackBerry Data Plan Desk Top Manager 4.6 or Higher installed. This is the disc that came with your phone or can be downloaded HERE

What You Need:
    Download and install CrackUtil to your PC
    CrackUtil.zip
    (you will need a crackberry account to download this, it takes 2 min to register) or you can try to go find this file elsewhere but this is a guaranteed safe download

SPECIAL CRACKUTIL INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR MICROSOFT VISTA USERS.
    For Microsoft Vista, an additional step is needed after installation on all versions. Right click on the CrackUtil icon and scroll to Properties. Select Properties and then on the next panel, select Compatability and then click Run this program as an administrator. This only need to be done once right after installation. Note the check in the Run this program as an administrator box. This only has to be done once. Thanks Pete6!

Please see attachments below for T-Mobile Service Books.

Download/Save the Service Books to your desktop, right click on the Zip file and select "Extract All". Inside is one .ipd file. You'll come back to it in Step 2.

STEP #1

Connect the Storm (and leave connected throughout the procedure) to pc and open CrackUtil. Enter your password if you use one. Select the File Manipulation Tab, then select Retrieve File Listing. Scroll down until you see the module net_rim_bb_browser_daemon Click on it and select "Remove File From Device".You will get a Grid Index Out of Range message at this point. That's normal, close CrackUtil. The Storm will be in the process of rebooting and may have an "Uncaught Exception Error" This is normal.

STEP #2

Now, Open Desktop Manager and go to Back up and Restore>Advanced. You will see the Storm's databases in the box on the right. Over the box on the left, select File>Open. Locate and Double click on the Service books .ipd file you downloaded and extracted earlier. They should now be in the left box. Single click to highlight them in the left box and hit the bottom of the two middle buttons to transfer them to the Storm. When that is done, return to the Main Menu, then close Desktop Manager.

STEP #3

Open CrackUtil. Go to the File Manipulation Tab, select Load File to Device A window will open containing the net_rim_bb_browser_daemon module you removed. Double click on it to replace it. When thats done you can Exit CrackUtil. You can now disconnect from pc. The Storm will be in the process of rebooting.

You should have a Fully Functional Browser now. Resend your email service books from T-Mobileto restore your email. Also you need TCP configurations in Options>Advanced Options>TCP. APN should say wap.voicestream.com Nothing under user name or password.

If you are using an unlocked Verizon Storm and have "Activation Required" on your home screen or your phone number displays incorrectly, Dial # # 000000 (Send). In the Menu, change the mobile directory number to your phone number and select save. The device will reboot and activate/display the correct number.

Hope this helps... let me know how it worked and contact me if you have any questions.
    This must be a joke. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. How do you think most of us if not all used that to get our storms working with tmo in the first place? I see this is your first post and hopefully you was trying to be helpful. If not we don't need the sarcasim.
    06-10-10 01:36 PM
    In my experience TMO customer service has always been willing to assist me in setting up an unsupported phone to the extent of their knowledge. Their main revenue are from the subscriptions and not from selling phones. It doesn't make sense for them to block off a set of their customers unless they are counting on us buying new phones and locking us into a 2yr contract. I have a ticket open with RIM. They said they are investigating it since enough Storm users have come forward about the issue. I should hear back from them today.
    06-10-10 01:37 PM

Couple of questions. I was told the APN should be epc.tmobile.com, is this incorrect?

When I go to the ##000000 menu (CDMA Service Edit Screen) my SIP & MIP usernames read, my phone number @vzw3g.com. Should this be different?
    06-10-10 01:38 PM
    Some of you are kinda...slow just from observation. The phone is not "hacked". Unlocking these phones is normal & pretty much encouraged since they are "World Phones". I'm pretty sure a large portion on T-mobile customers are on unsupported devices. Thats usually a major reason that a person chooses to use a GSM carrier, so they're able to swap their SIM card and use a phone of their choice.You know how many people import phones into the US? Nobody is asking T-mobile for support as far as replacing their phone. We just want some technical support & wanna know whats being done to fix the problem since the phones were working fine just a few days ago. So to come in this forum when you don't even have a Storm 2, not having the same issues, and don't have any positive resolutions, what the **** are you here for?
    06-10-10 01:41 PM
    You clearly have anger management problems. Perhaps the next call you should make, would be to find a good therapist. Get over it (I'll refrain from lowering myself to your level and resort to name calling).

Considering 1: that they were the ones that provided me with support the first time I got the storm and that it worked all this time, 2: I could have possibly been calling them pricks for keeping me on the phone for 4 hours to try everything and not bother to let me know they aren't going to support the phone anymore....people like you is the reason I visit this site for only the headlines and never the forums, I suppose an ***** like you would ask " gee, why did you come to the forums now?"
    06-10-10 01:43 PM
    Some of you are kinda...slow just from observation. The phone is not "hacked". Unlocking these phones is normal & pretty much encouraged since they are "World Phones". I'm pretty sure a large portion on T-mobile customers are on unsupported devices. Thats usually a major reason that a person chooses to use a GSM carrier, so they're able to swap their SIM card and use a phone of their choice.You know how many people import phones into the US? Nobody is asking T-mobile for support as far as replacing their phone. We just want some technical support & wanna know whats being done to fix the problem since the phones were working fine just a few days ago. So to come in this forum when you don't even have a Storm 2, not having the same issues, and don't have any positive resolutions, what the **** are you here for?
    There just might be a lot of users on unsupported devices. But when things stop working why in the world would you start whining about it or criticizing the network carrier for not giving you support for it? It's not their problem. You brought an unsupported device to a different network. Just because it worked for a while doesn't mean it will or even should continue to work without issue.

That's the equivalent of dropping a ford axle in a chevy. It might work for a short period but when you drop your rearend and transaxle, would you take it back to chevy and complain that your ford axle doesn't work?

Some of the people in here need to get a clue. Show that you have some sense about you.

Sure it's a global phone. Sure you can import the T-mo service books and have it work, but to think that it will continue to work hassle free is what I call "Intellect neglect".

Sorry if I've hurt anyone's sensitive feelings. I keep forgetting what a sensitive new society we're in these days.
    06-10-10 01:57 PM
    This is new for T-Mobile...when i worked for them they supported unlocked devices at best effort, and NEVER denied service to an unlocked device.
    06-10-10 01:58 PM
    My PIN is no longer valid by the way, I don't have my BB anymore in case anyone tries to add me.
    06-10-10 01:59 PM
    No not *all* ex-Verizon CDMA devices are getting blocked by TMobile, Mine is working just fine.
    But let me correct this: *all reported lost or stolen, basically with BAD ESN AND PIN* ex-Verizon CDMA devices are getting blocked by TMobile.
    OK, now we are getting some useful facts. Could this be that the data access is being blocked by RIM? The problems described could fit that scenario.

Questions:
    Could it be that Verizon has just uploaded and blocked all the PINs for phones which have defaulted on contracts, been replaced as insurance and not recovered, reported lost or stolen, ESN blocked as bad debt, etc..., ?

What is the source and history of the phones involved? Were they sourced direct from Verizon, through ebay or Craigslist, whatever?

If your phone was sourced direct from Verizon (you know its full history) was it bought out from contract and any ETF cleared? Is the original account fully paid or delinquent? Or was it simply migrated out and unlocked so it just dropped off the Vz network?
    06-10-10 02:04 PM
    There just might be a lot of users on unsupported devices. But when things stop working why in the world would you start whining about it or criticizing the network carrier for not giving you support for it? It's not their problem. You brought an unsupported device to a different network. Just because it worked for a while doesn't mean it will or even should continue to work without issue.

That's the equivalent of dropping a ford axle in a chevy. It might work for a short period but when you drop your rearend and transaxle, would you take it back to chevy and complain that your ford axle doesn't work?

Some of the people in here need to get a clue. Show that you have some sense about you.

Sure it's a global phone. Sure you can import the T-mo service books and have it work, but to think that it will continue to work hassle free is what I call "Intellect neglect".

Sorry if I've hurt anyone's sensitive feelings. I keep forgetting what a sensitive new society we're in these days.
    Ok good, you were one of the people who made the...questionable comments earlier so i'm glad you responded. I don't really have to say much to you since your comment clearly displays how knowledgeable you are on this topic. As far as your comparisons to car companies go...nah, its not working. Its not the same situation @ all. Good try though. Stay Up.
    06-10-10 02:05 PM
    Xp, rather than post an alert each time you post something here, you can just go to your Profile and edit it to change your carrier/device, etc. and either change your PIN or, delete it entirely.

My PIN is no longer valid by the way, I don't have my BB anymore in case anyone tries to add me.
    06-10-10 02:51 PM
    OK, now we are getting some useful facts. Could this be that the data access is being blocked by RIM? The problems described could fit that scenario.

Questions:
    Could it be that Verizon has just uploaded and blocked all the PINs for phones which have defaulted on contracts, been replaced as insurance and not recovered, reported lost or stolen, ESN blocked as bad debt, etc..., ?

What is the source and history of the phones involved? Were they sourced direct from Verizon, through ebay or Craigslist, whatever?

If your phone was sourced direct from Verizon (you know its full history) was it bought out from contract and any ETF cleared? Is the original account fully paid or delinquent? Or was it simply migrated out and unlocked so it just dropped off the Vz network?
    I think that Verizon has a data base that carry the black listed Blackberry phones (Stolen, lost, damaged, etc....), which will be easily uploaded into RIM Servers. Where they can be checked and forbidden from using their BES or BIS service.
    The reason I am guessing this is: I have a friend who own a cellular shop, he flashes phones including Blackberry from Verizon or Sprint ( Good or Bad ESN) to work with Cricket. He's been in a meeting with Cricket, he was told that they are going to launch the Blackberry Service sometimes in August this year.
    He asked what Blackberry models are they going to launch. they replied it will be the Curve (8530).
    Once he asked if he can flash any Verizon or Sprint blackberries, they said yes, but IT HAS TO BE CLEAN ESN AND PIN. Otherwise RIM will not register their PIN on their BES/BIS Servers.
    06-10-10 02:53 PM
    That is my suspicion, and the users with problems might be wrong to point the finger of blame at T-Mobile.

We need some of the other users to pitch in with some solid information about the history of their phones and whether they might have been barred by Verizon (the original network).
    06-10-10 03:01 PM
    That is my suspicion, and the users with problems might be wrong to point the finger of blame at T-Mobile.

We need some of the other users to pitch in with some solid information about the history of their phones and whether they might have been barred by Verizon (the original network).
    Good theory, but I'm sure thats not the case. Some people who are reporting this problem have the Vodafone version of the Storm.
    06-10-10 03:05 PM
    I'm in Oklahoma and have no problems (knock on wood!) with my storm. I'm running .607 with .732 hybrid. Purchased my phone off *bay.

I don't know if this would make any difference, but my APN is set to wap.voicestream.com. I know a lot about my phone, but still not enough to know what would be the difference to have the APN set to voicestream instead of T-mobile.

(I found the instructions to set the APN to voicestream here on CB to get Pandora working).
    06-10-10 03:27 PM
    Just contacted our (TMO's) BB support line. The rep said that VZW recently sent an APN update over the air through RIM's data network. The update forces the phones back to VZW's network settings. He said Sprint phones weren't affected, and they're working on a resolution.

Not all devices received the update correctly, it seems
    06-10-10 04:07 PM
    Good theory, but I'm sure thats not the case. Some people who are reporting this problem have the Vodafone version of the Storm.
    I can find only one record of a Vodafone device in this thread - USArmyJohn, who started with a problem and now shows it resolved and working. It sounds like he returned to USA with a configuration issue and fixed it. I admit I didn't read every post but the search function only got 14 hits in thread.

My feeling is still that this is PIN block-listing at RIM which means we might also see a few victims from other GSM carriers like AT&T. However the majority of ex-Verizon devices seem to have gathered on T-Mobile.
    06-10-10 04:11 PM
    Just contacted our (TMO's) BB support line. The rep said that VZW recently sent an APN update over the air through RIM's data network. The update forces the phones back to VZW's network settings. He said Sprint phones weren't affected, and they're working on a resolution.

Not all devices received the update correctly, it seems
    If that is correct the users should be able to reset the network settings again, like they did when they first moved to T-Mobile. The evidence so far is that nobody has been successful, and I can't imagine that none have tried the correct steps.
    06-10-10 04:14 PM
    If that is correct the users should be able to reset the network settings again, like they did when they first moved to T-Mobile. The evidence so far is that nobody has been successful, and I can't imagine that none have tried the correct steps.
    My thoughts exactly. I would, of course, take what care says with a grain of salt. The rep seemed to know exactly about the situation, but not everything adds up still.
    06-10-10 04:18 PM
    it started for me yesterday i was using the wap.voicestream.com apn but changed it to epc.tmobile.com and it works fine now (cross' fingers)
    06-10-10 04:18 PM
    Not sure if this helps, but I noticed VZW APN settings appear on my device a couple days ago. Luckily it didn't seem to cause a problem running on Rogers.

Seems like VZW did push the setting out though...
    06-10-10 04:25 PM
    Hey everyone. I found this!

No Email On BlackBerry May Mean A Rim Outage

Another Nationwide Outage For The Blackberry

If they don't fix this soon, HTC EVO here I come!
    Yeah I have some friends who are experiencing the same problem in Iowa. I am not sure what the deal is. But I got rid of my Storm and 9700 and got my HTC EVO. Hands down, the best phone I have ever owned.

To each, his own.
    CHEERS!
    06-10-10 04:51 PM
    it started for me yesterday i was using the wap.voicestream.com apn but changed it to epc.tmobile.com and it works fine now (cross' fingers)
    I am with T-Mobile and use an unlocked Storm 2.
    My setting for APN is wap.voicestream.com and I don't have any issue with emails, internet, or twitter.
    Everything is working fine.

OK, guys out there who have email and internet problem, check your APN. try both setting:
    wap.voicestream.com
    epc.tmobile.com
    and see if the problem is fixed.
    Last edited by romman; 06-10-10 at 05:15 PM.
    06-10-10 05:12 PM
    Read from the 9550 forum:

Think about this logically. There are 3 potential parties in play here.

#1- Tmobile
    #2- Verizon
    #3- RIM

Ask yourself: "Why would T-mobile block a device from using their network that had a valid account and was paying them ~100.00/month?"

The 400.00 dollar device is a moot point when you're talking about revenues of >1200.00/Year, and over the lifetime of an account 5k-10k of revenue.

The fact is, T-mobile, in all likelihood embraces users who have brought a phone over from another company and payed out of pocket to unlock it. Since as we all know the carriers take a loss subsidizing these phones in order to lock you into a contract.

On the other hand, consider what's happening and who actually is taking the loss in this scenario (Besides US, that is!)

Presumably most of these Storm and Tour users bought their phones from Verizon, making Verizon take the hit on the device. They then either broke their contract w/ Verizon or their contract expired, and moved to Tmobile, for one reason or another.

Well, that being said, Tmobile doesn't care that you're using an unsupported device, they have no motive to care, assuming it does no damage to their network and you're a paying customer, they, from a logical stand point, are saying: "Come on over, bring that device here, we'll let you use it...but can't support it any more than basic troubleshooting, of course."

So on to Party #2 - Verizon. Verizon, other than being burned by taking a loss on the phone, has no motive to brick these things. A, no doubt they have recouped their losses on the phone either through contract revenue and/or early termination fee. They do have some motive, in the sense that bricking these things could force some tmobile users to come back to Verizon since their 400.00+ device is currently nothing more than 1994 Nokia Flip Phone...

On to party #3, RIM. RIM's motive to do this, is by far the most significant. Here's the way, I see it going down. RIM executives have a meeting with Verizon Executives on June 1st to discuss device exclusivity contracts for the next model of phones. Verizon says, you know we're subsidizing the phones to get customers, the come over by a 500.00 phone for 149.99 and then break the contract, pay the 200.00 contract fee, and walk with a 500.00+ Bberry for 350.00. How can you help us RIM? RIM says, this is a problem..we can fix this. A few days later, June 3rd or 4th they Brick these Storms and Tours that have jumped ship, send them out service book wipes, tell verizon we did it and now let's secure write up our next round of exclusivity contracts with.

Oh and by the way, Tmobile...See what we did to protect Verizon? Yes, we know we're kind and gracious...We'll be offerng you some exclusive devices next..and we'll protect you the same way.

I dunno---That's my two cents worth...Maybe I'm way off, but it doesn't seem logical that Tmobile would want to **** off it's customers who are at the upper end of profitabilty.
    06-10-10 05:25 PM
1,089 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD