My carrier advertises as 3G. The symbol on the upper right hand corner of the home screen says EDGE. Supposedly it's the same as 3G. When i go into communications/ mobile network options and set network mode as 3G, i lose communication and mobile network says *none*.

If i set the mode as 2G then network id appears and EDGE is shown, and the same if i chose 3G & 2G. Any explanation is welcome.
    04-22-09 01:04 PM
    EDGE is not 3G, its 2G. If you are using your SIM card you wont be able to get 3G
    on the phone. I think I read one of the mods had an early version that will allow that to use 3G but Im not positive. Bummer for us SIM users.
    04-22-09 01:17 PM
    Hello Ralphito.

This is because Porta's 3G is 850MHz (the same as much of North America is) and not the world standard 2100MHz (like which the Storm 9530/9500 use.)

Your Storm will only use 2G there in Ecuador.

This is a great site to find the specifications of nearly every GSM network in the world (although sometimes it is slow to be updated).

(gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml) -- Just paste this into your browser as this forum won't let me post links yet...

By the way...

Were you able to use the Berryology Tutorial for Porta (from Phil) to get your BlackBerry Storm fully working on Porta?

I can't get Porta's BlackBerry site to accept the IMEI of the Storm. It rejects it telling me to change my equipment.

Thank you for any help you can offer,

Bryan

My carrier advertises as 3G. The symbol on the upper right hand corner of the home screen says EDGE. Supposedly it's the same as 3G. When i go into communications/ mobile network options and set network mode as 3G, i lose communication and mobile network says *none*.

If i set the mode as 2G then network id appears and EDGE is shown, and the same if i chose 3G & 2G. Any explanation is welcome.
    05-26-09 11:17 PM
    yea gonna work the same as being on ATT, just gonna get EDGE (2g network) as to 3G...device just not made to work on these networks...
    05-27-09 01:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD