New to bb's- from what I've been told the way to have the storm running the fastest is to close applications after you are done-so that you don't have many running in the background.

1) is there is a shortcut to close an application- I have been hitting the bb key and then scrolling all the way done to close every time- very tedious- please note i have menu set to short or small or whatever not full- and still alot of times i have to scroll down to find close- i would like to just hit one button to close them.

Please advise.

Thanks!
    12-08-08 11:28 AM
    In menus you can press a letter and it will go to each item in the menu that begins with that letter. So example, if you press menu, then C, it will go to every item that begins with a C.
    12-08-08 11:30 AM
    thanks for reply- but still a lot of buttons since the storm doesn't have the physical keys to just hit c- first would have to bring up the keyboard- i guess i can have keyboard as a convenience key on side then hit c- that would be a little better. Thanks!
    12-08-08 11:35 AM
    just tried that and there are a ton of "c"'s- its faster to just scroll down.

I was hoping there is a setting Im missing or maybe a way to have the convenience key close what every you are currently doing.

Or is this not important to the phone running quickly to keep closing out everything?
    12-08-08 11:43 AM
    Same for me. Any other suggestions out there??
    12-08-08 11:45 AM
    all you have to do is hold down the blackberry button for 3 sec , then it will show your running apps. if will always have 5 running . there is no way to stop those... but any other the the 5, phone,web,messages,home,bb messenger, should be shut down you can do this by click on the app and going into and then hit menu button , and close
    12-08-08 11:48 AM
    all you have to do is hold down the blackberry button for 3 sec , then it will show your running apps. if will always have 5 running . there is no way to stop those... but any other the the 5, phone,web,messages,home,bb messenger, should be shut down you can do this by click on the app and going into and then hit menu button , and close

Sooks since you had a Mogul(I had a 6800) I bet you would agree the task manager on on the Home Screen was nice. That is one thing I miss when comparing WinMo to Blackberry.
    12-08-08 11:54 AM
    Just hit the back button (most of the time 1 or 2 times) until you arrive at the home screen and the app will be closed.

The only app that doesnt work with this is the Media Player I believe.
    12-08-08 01:40 PM
    Just hit the back button (most of the time 1 or 2 times) until you arrive at the home screen and the app will be closed.

Wrong...the app will still be running in the background and using memory unless you actually close the program.
    12-08-08 01:45 PM

I think that still leaves it running in the background. I think this method just "minimizes" that particular app.
    12-08-08 01:46 PM

Wrong, It will not be visible, but still running in the background. Hold the Blackberry button down for a couple of seconds, and you will see the program you thought wasnt running. This can lead to battery drain real bad depending on what you think is not running. (ie something using GPS)
    12-08-08 01:46 PM
    For some of the apps you can hold the back button and it will close the application. It doesn't work for all of them, but for some it does.
    12-08-08 01:48 PM
    For the love of all things grand, why can't the red "end" key just be programmed to close the current app? It would be a win-win for users: it would close the app since the user is done and it would take them to the home screen! Someone needs to develop a simple, low-resource using app that achieves that goal. I'd pay for it!!
    12-08-08 01:50 PM
    me too .
    12-08-08 01:54 PM

That doesn't work on the storm. They are ALL still active. I too am looking for a close all button.
    12-08-08 02:06 PM
    Wow. As a BB Newbie I'm learning a lot.

I had all kinds of apps still running in the background. This is annoying not having them "close" by hitting the back button.
    12-08-08 02:25 PM
    Sooks since you had a Mogul(I had a 6800) I bet you would agree the task manager on on the Home Screen was nice. That is one thing I miss when comparing WinMo to Blackberry.
    god yes i would love a task manager like feature .... that would help this soo much.
    12-08-08 02:29 PM
    Yes! Hit the red end key and your app closes.. Quick and easy. Id pay for it too..
    12-08-08 03:43 PM
    anyone please chime in-

is there a shortcut way to close apps- sick of scrolling down the list after hitting bb button every time!
    12-12-08 12:22 PM
    I third..... I searched for Task Manager and found this thread I can't believe it doesn't exist.

That being said, ever CLOSE doesn't CLOSE EXIT sometimes EXIT's. The only way I know of TRUELY closing everything is

SOFT RESET
    geek and proud - BlackBerry Software

(it is like pulling your battery without pulling your battery). Best software installed on my blackberry PERIOD.
    12-12-08 12:56 PM
    The TREO had a great task manager. Don't want to go back, but wish there was a better way.
    12-12-08 12:58 PM
    I just read the way on another forum-

just hold down the back button for a sec or 2 then it brings you out and the application is closed!!!!!

Hooray!!!

This will make my life soo much easier on this phone!
    12-12-08 01:04 PM
    I just read the way on another forum-

just hold down the back button for a sec or 2 then it brings you out and the application is closed!!!!!

Hooray!!!

This will make my life soo much easier on this phone!
    This doesn't work for every app. Instango is one that comes to mind that doesn't close using the escape/back key. I have a running hypothesis that it only works on apps with a specific "close" menu option. If it's labeled as "Exit" or "Quit" it won't work. Still need to do quite a bit more testing before it can be stated conclusively one way or the other though.
    12-12-08 01:14 PM
    holding the back key (not the end key) closes all of mine, except for the ones that are permanently open. it happens pretty face so they don't seem closed but if you go to the applications manager they are... not sure if this works for third party apps that are not loaded on the phone though
    12-12-08 01:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD