Hi all, first post here for me.

I have a storm 2 9520 unlocked from Vodafone UK, now with T-Mobile. Ever since I have had it the sound quality from the earpiece has been terrible. It sounds all crackly similar to a blown home stereo speaker.

I cant return it as I bought it from a private seller on e-bay about 5 months ago.

I have played with all the audio adjustments and taken the top cover off and cleaned the eapriece speaker of all debris and dirt.

I have had only one phone call where the sound quality was perfect but that was it. Even on 5 bars and 3G its still sounds rubbish. I've tried only selecting 2g coverage - still no joy.

The max signal I get on 5 bars and 3G is approx -77 Dbm's

I have wiped the phone with JL_Cmdr and am now running OS 5.0.0.713.

Any ideas how to fix this as it apears to be a software rather than a physical problem.

Thanks
    08-10-10 12:19 PM
    that's a problem I had with my S2, right out of the box. the replacement has been fine. Search the forum to find many posts on the subject of distorted speakers on the S2.
    08-10-10 12:21 PM
    Yeah, done a big search. Lots of threads on the problem, but I've yet to find a solution.
    08-10-10 12:27 PM
    Yeah, done a big search. Lots of threads on the problem, but I've yet to find a solution.
    huh? the solution is replacement.
    08-10-10 12:46 PM
    I had this same problem. I took mine to a store, and they replaced it with a S2 that had the .607 OS on it, and basically said to not update it. However, I am a little tempted to try a hybrid and see if it causes the same problem. Hopefully, it wont. If it does, I will just take it back and get another replacement.
    08-10-10 08:07 PM
    I had this same problem. I took mine to a store, and they replaced it with a S2 that had the .607 OS on it, and basically said to not update it. However, I am a little tempted to try a hybrid and see if it causes the same problem. Hopefully, it wont. If it does, I will just take it back and get another replacement.
    ah, it's not the OS version--it's the hardware.
    08-10-10 09:38 PM
    Have had 2 S2's replaced for this problem. The only workaround I had was to use a bluetooth which is a nuisance
    08-10-10 09:42 PM
    Have had 2 S2's replaced for this problem. The only workaround I had was to use a bluetooth which is a nuisance
    I use the speakerphone speaker so much, it took me several weeks to even notice the earpiece speaker was defective. I probably use speakerphone mode more than 90% of the time.
    08-10-10 09:47 PM
    This is my 6th Storm2 in 90 days. Another trip back to the VZW store yesterday for me. They had no more in stock to replace it with, and said I had to get one shipped. He told me the return rate for this problem is astronomical, and they can't keep them in stock. I have a friend that is on phone #9 in 90 days for the same problem.

Long story short, we have 2 Droid X's coming at the end of the month. We had to do something. Constant reboots during phone calls, blown out earpieces, phone locking up randomly and having to pull the battery, and the list goes on. As much as I like the Storm2, its a lousy business phone. I feel after trying 6 of them, I gave RIM a good shot of making it a useful phone, but in my opinion its not. Just my opinion for what its worth...........
    08-11-10 08:19 AM
    I'm pretty sure this is a software problem. I have had my Storm 2 since the day it was first released. I've been going through the official (and some unofficial) updates. My last OS was .607 and up through that, my earpiece worked perfectly. Fast forward to the release of OS .713... Literally within 5 mins of completing the upgrade and being on the first call, I was noticing the distortion. There are 3 other people in my office with Storm 2's and every single person has had the same problem right after upgrading to .713. So, it's almost certainly an OS issue.

I believe I have found a solution. If you use a headset, the distortion is very rare. It seems to be when you hold the phone or hold it next to your head (iPhone 4... :-)). My guess is they tweaked the antenna reception because my reception is definitely improved (I have signal in two places I used to lose it and I tested it side by side with another Storm 2 owner in my office), but maybe it's been over-tweaked.
    08-11-10 11:31 AM
    I notice the distortion only when I am talking at the same time as the person on the other line. Anyone else?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 03:14 PM
    I got my 4th replacement yesterday, its for sale now, tired of replacing phones, Droid 2 should be delivered tomorrow.
    08-11-10 04:05 PM
    I hope you guys with all these problems don't spend much time in Vegas, gambling...
    08-11-10 04:11 PM
    Right.

I updated to .713. No joy. I downgraded to .306. No joy.

I just loaded up .607 from Vodafone Italy. Still no joy. Same speaker distortion.

Argggh!.

Anyone found a solution to fix this yet?

What are these Hybrid OS's?
    08-18-10 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD