This morning, I got an e-mail, on my private account, from Weatherbug. I had previously downloaded their application, but what surprised me was that the e-mail came in on my personal private e-mail account, which I only give out to my family and friends. I know I wouldn't have given it out when downloading the app, instead using an alternate adddress.

My questions:

1. How did they get my private e-mail address off my phone?

2. What other private information is available for viewing off of my phone when downloading applications?

3. How do I make sure that the e-mail address I want to be seen, is seen, and my private address remains private?

This is my first Blackberry, so I am new to all of this, but very excited about the world I have just joined. Thanks for the help.
    12-03-08 09:58 AM
    By the way, this is a cute little application, but I really wonder how they got my e-mail address??
    12-03-08 10:41 AM
    I may be talking to myself here, and this thread may be on page 15 again in 24 hours, but in case anyone is interested in protecting their privacy, here is what I found out....

I just got an e-mail from Weatherbug, and they let me know that what happens when you download the application, it asks for permissions, which when granted, gives them access to the phones service books. There it can read your e-mail addresses, which is where the privacy was compromised.

They recognize the concern, and are making changes to their system to protect privacy, but this still doesn't solve the problem if we download app's from a vendor who is not so nice, and responsible. Is there a way to configure the service books to protect the e-mail accounts we wish to keep private?
    12-04-08 09:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD