I couldn't find the program that you were talking about. cause the one that I found wasn't free. But if I have to pay for it then thats fine also. I just thought that I could get the free one too.

Wil
    01-17-09 08:16 PM
    Thanks for the very detailed instructions! It seems like I never have enough time to try all these great tips everyone is posting. Too bad someone cant just come over and do everything for me I dont know anyone around me with a storm. Maybe that is a good thing Anyway, thanks again for taking the time!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 10:16 AM
    So im giving this a try...im done with the dvdfab and am now using the handbrake...it says:
    Encoding: task 1 of 2, 100.00 x <70.18 fps, avg 67.41 fps, ETA 00h00m00s>

but its been like that for about an hour...is it actually doing something or is it stuck some how?
    01-19-09 04:28 PM
    So im giving this a try...im done with the dvdfab and am now using the handbrake...it says:
    Encoding: task 1 of 2, 100.00 x <70.18 fps, avg 67.41 fps, ETA 00h00m00s>

but its been like that for about an hour...is it actually doing something or is it stuck some how?
    Looks like it's stuck. It should switch to task 2 of 2 (as I assume you're doing 2-pass encoding) right after reaching 100% on task 1.

I'd restart encoding with a small file to see if your config is working.
    01-19-09 04:30 PM
    I'm having problems with two particular dvd conversions. I tried converting Gladiator. I have the wide screen version DVD and followed the instructions posted on page 1 exactly. When the movie converted, it went to 480x208. It should be 480x272 shouldn't it? When I adjusted the size to 480x272 (I left all other settings exactly the same), it played fine through Qtime, but on the Storm, it was just multi-colored snow or a green, choppy, screen with the image of another video imposed over it. The same thing happened when I tried converting "Prince Caspian," except that with unadjusted size settings, it converted to 480-192.

They work fine if I don't adjust any size settings, and play fine on Qtime or Media Player, but not on the Storm.

Also, I downloaded the Mobile 5 option for DVD Fab, but whenever I choose anything under the mobile option, it gives me a popup box telling me it's available on their website. I can't access any mobile options at all; just the DVD TO DVD options. I don't mind purchasing it if it's a good program, but I want to check it out first as I won't use it for anything other than DVD to Storm items.
    01-19-09 04:34 PM
    Looks like it's stuck. It should switch to task 2 of 2 (as I assume you're doing 2-pass encoding) right after reaching 100% on task 1.

I'd restart encoding with a small file to see if your config is working.
    i tried redoing the handbrake part and it looks like its stuck again??????? it says completed task one but it doesnt go to task two??? what am i doing wrong, can someone please help a storm brother out lol
    01-19-09 05:22 PM
    I'm having problems with two particular dvd conversions. I tried converting Gladiator. I have the wide screen version DVD and followed the instructions posted on page 1 exactly. When the movie converted, it went to 480x208. It should be 480x272 shouldn't it? When I adjusted the size to 480x272 (I left all other settings exactly the same), it played fine through Qtime, but on the Storm, it was just multi-colored snow or a green, choppy, screen with the image of another video imposed over it. The same thing happened when I tried converting "Prince Caspian," except that with unadjusted size settings, it converted to 480-192.
    Not all widescreen DVDs use the same aspect ratio. 480x272 is approximately 16:9 (1.87:1), but a quick check shows that Gladiator is 2.35:1. 480x280 sounds about right for Gladiator in widescreen.
    01-19-09 07:32 PM
    i tried redoing the handbrake part and it looks like its stuck again??????? it says completed task one but it doesnt go to task two??? what am i doing wrong, can someone please help a storm brother out lol
    Try

1. reinstalling handbrake
    2. encoding a different file to see if it doesn't go on to task 2
    3. uncheck 2-pass encoding and just use 1-pass encoding
    01-19-09 07:33 PM
    Not all widescreen DVDs use the same aspect ratio. 480x272 is approximately 16:9 (1.87:1), but a quick check shows that Gladiator is 2.35:1. 480x280 sounds about right for Gladiator in widescreen.
    I don't even fool around with the width/height (aspect ratio). I leave it at the default 480 width, but the height is never entered (I'm assuming the application selects the default when iPhone is selected on the right).

Every movie I've done with these tools has worked like a charm, including the native aspect ratio.
    01-20-09 08:39 AM
    I don't even fool around with the width/height (aspect ratio). I leave it at the default 480 width, but the height is never entered (I'm assuming the application selects the default when iPhone is selected on the right).

Every movie I've done with these tools has worked like a charm, including the native aspect ratio.
    Remember that the iPhone is 480x320 while the storm is 480x360.

With handbrake you're ok with anamorphic (I too leave the height blank and let handbrake do it's magic), but be careful as other programs might incorrectly assume 480x320.
    01-20-09 09:31 AM
    Silly question I am sure - how did you figure out that Gladiator was 2.35:1 - did you look on DVD box, or use some software?
    01-20-09 12:31 PM
    Silly question I am sure - how did you figure out that Gladiator was 2.35:1 - did you look on DVD box, or use some software?
    It's on the back of the DVD case (2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen). It's also listed on amazon, but I don't know if they list the aspect ratio for all movies.
    01-20-09 12:38 PM
    I know what the ratio for Gladiator is and that when formatted for the Storm, it should be 480x272 (roughly). When I followed the instructions in this thread and didn't change any settings, it converted to 480x208. That is significantly much more "letterboxed" and utilizes about half the Storm's screen. I then tried to change the sizing manually to 480x272 and in that format, it plays fine in Q-time or WMP, but it's comes out either multi-colored snow, or green with odd, choppy pictures under the green. The audio is fine in all instances, but would rather watch the movie in it's intended ratio instead of the way it converts.

Has anyone else had these problems when using DVDFab/Handbrake? Any solutions? I also had the same thing happen when I tried to convert "Prince Caspian." The only difference was that the converted size was 480x192; which is even narrower.
    01-20-09 02:13 PM
    man is there a easy way to convert dvd ...FASTER!!!
    how come so longg!!! >.<
    01-20-09 07:11 PM
    man is there a easy way to convert dvd ...FASTER!!!
    how come so longg!!! >.<
    because your computer is slow....

My dual core 3.0ghz slices through DVDs very fast.
    01-20-09 07:18 PM
    I know what the ratio for Gladiator is and that when formatted for the Storm, it should be 480x272 (roughly). When I followed the instructions in this thread and didn't change any settings, it converted to 480x208.
    I believe your math is wrong. Gladiator is 2.35:1. A 2.35 ratio for a 480 pixel wide screen results in 205 pixels high, not 272. So the 208 is pretty close. This is assuming you're not doing anything to cut off the sides of the video or muck with the correct aspect ratio.
    01-20-09 09:48 PM
    Try

1. reinstalling handbrake
    2. encoding a different file to see if it doesn't go on to task 2
    3. uncheck 2-pass encoding and just use 1-pass encoding
    tried both 1 and 2 suggestions...didnt work, after completeing task 1 it doesnt do anything....now im trying unchecking encoding 2 pass...hopefully it works!

Any more suggestions anyone? has anyone else experienced these problems? please let me know thanks!
    01-21-09 02:31 AM
    What is the minimum amount of HD space I should leave before ripping a DVD? 5 GB? I haven't done this in so long and my current machine is filled to the brim...
    01-21-09 01:55 PM
    Great instructions. Thank you for posting them.
    01-21-09 03:11 PM
    Anyone had a DVD that wouldnt work with DVDfab. Trying to do Superbad and keep getting a write protection error and it asks if you would like to open Pathfinder or something and then encounters reading error.???? Just did Bourne Ultimatum with no issues.........

After Bourne Ultimatum was opened in handbrake the blackbox flashes and then closes and it says encoding finished.....

please help.
    Last edited by Baldy246; 01-21-09 at 06:50 PM.
    01-21-09 06:44 PM
    Anyone had a DVD that wouldnt work with DVDfab. Trying to do Superbad and keep getting a write protection error and it asks if you would like to open Pathfinder or something and then encounters reading error.???? Just did Bourne Ultimatum with no issues.........

After Bourne Ultimatum was opened in handbrake the blackbox flashes and then closes and it says encoding finished.....

please help.
    DVDfab is constantly updated to work with newer DVDs. Try using a pre-release beta of DVDfab or look at doom9 forums for help on backing up specific DVDs with unusual content protection.
    01-21-09 06:54 PM
    Anyone having problems converting XVID format AVI's with handbrake to MP4 or M4V and then it crashes 5, 10, 15% into the conversion? I am trying all different options but it keeps crashing.
    Last edited by Quanius; 01-21-09 at 08:44 PM.
    01-21-09 08:21 PM
    I started doing Batman The Dark Knight at 8 is and it is now 12:30 and it says eta-3:33 I really hope this works or there goes my whole night lol
    01-21-09 11:30 PM
    I Cant Get Handbrake To Convert To Mp4.....any More Suggestions? I Tried Everything I Can With It...
    01-22-09 12:01 AM
    Dude you are a genius, just put Tears of the Sun on.....looks great but I have to work on the width of the screen.

BTW, iy took 24 hours to copy the movie on my Vista brick.
    01-22-09 01:04 AM
509 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD