05-14-09 07:49 PM
141 12345 ...
tools
    I think the best solution to preventing dust from getting under the screen is to actually seal up the gap between the layers of the screen (see pic below). I, and a couple other crackheads, have done this and it's worked great. Even though my phone is a newer build that didn't have dust problems, applying the seal gives me a lot more confidence.

Of course, no one should have to do this to prevent dust from getting into their phones, but that said...here's how to do it if you're so inclined...

CAUTION - If you aren't comfortable taking apart your phone and handling small electronics, DO NOT ATTEMPT this! Also, keep in mind this technically voids your warranty though 1) you can avoid detection by carefully removing the warranty sticker and 2) you can always remove the seal if needed - this is completely reversible.

1) Get the right tools and materials. You need a T6 screwdriver, a phone prying tool, an x-acto knife and thin electrical tape (compare the thickness of various tapes on the packaging). An alternative to the phone prying tool is any other hard, thin plastic (NO METAL) edge - those plastic keyrings from Borders, grocery stores, etc. seem to work.

2) Take out your battery, micro SD card and SIM card. Very carefully remove the warranty sticker covering one of the back screws and stick it on a non-stick surface - like the backing stamps come on. You can gently pry off the sticker using a small safety pin or needle. I recommend leaving the sticker on a non-stick surface and placing it aside for safe keeping.

3) Take the phone apart following this video -

4) Take the screen out and clean the sides between the two layers of the screen. If you already have dust in the screen, try using a vacuum to get it out. DO NOT try to blow it out with compressed air - this will only force it further in. If you can't get it out you can consider getting a new replacement from Verizon.

5) Cut a strip of electrical tape to cover one side of the screen. I found the easiest way to cut the strips is to use the x-acto knife to cut it directly from the roll of tape. Just place the blade at the beginning of the tape near the edge (the strip should be as wide as the thickness of the screen) and slowly turn the roll. I recommend cutting each strip a little longer than the length of the side you're covering. Make sure each piece you're cutting has one side from the edge of the tape - this will ensure one side of the tape is perfectly straight.

6) Apply the tape to the side of the screen, sealing up the gap between the top 3 layers (see pic below) . Line up the straight edge of the tape with the top of the screen. Once it's all lined up, take some time applying pressure on the tape to ensure it's all sealed tight. Carefully cut off any excess tape from each end.

7) Repeat step 5 and 6 for each side.

8) Once complete, your screen is probably a little dirty. Now's a good time to clean it off.

9) Before putting your phone back together, give each side of tape another press for good measure.

10) Put your phone back together. Make sure the 2 top and 2 bottom screws are nice and tight. Also, I wouldn't put the camera cover and bottom cover on until you've powered the phone back up and tested the screen - just want to make sure everything is working properly.

I know a video or pics would have been better. But, my phone's back together and working great, and I'm not willing to take it apart again - sorry.

(photo credit to TBacker)
    Last edited by changal; 01-07-09 at 04:24 AM.
    01-06-09 10:10 PM
    It's certainly ridiculous, and especially so when you consider that those cheap phones you get for free don't have this problem. It's either poor design, poor QC/manufacturing, cheap components, or all of them combined.
    01-06-09 10:11 PM
    Wow... I have had mine since dec 10th I think. There is absolutely no dust behind my screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 10:17 PM
    my first storm didnt get any dust, then i replaced it because of click issue, but now storm 2 is getting dust...thinking of going for a third, but at this point i question whether or not all of the devices are going to get dust and if maybe the phone in general is just flawed...
    01-06-09 10:21 PM
    Do the flashlight test guys, and then come back and post that you don't have any dust. Just prepare yourself to be amazed at how much crept in without you noticing.
    01-06-09 10:43 PM
    Wow... I have had mine since dec 10th I think. There is absolutely no dust behind my screen.

I remember C_X saying that after Dec 3rd there may of been a better quality control on the Storms!
    01-06-09 10:49 PM
    Yeah. My last Storm was made 12-19 and the "seal" still allowed dust inside. My new one was made 12-30-08, and it LOOKS like it's sealed even better than the second, but I'm sure this one will be affected as well. Like I said, I'm betting ALL Storms have this issue.
    01-06-09 10:54 PM
    Alright, I just tested something out on my old dusty phone. I can clearly see where the seal is separating because I can see light through the tear/separation. I put the phone up to my mouth to see if I could fog up the inside of the display with some hot breath, and nothing. I'm not understanding how dust can get in, but moisture being forced into the device can't. My first phone had a HUGE gap between the screens, and I could fog it up like you wouldn't believe. This one however, has dust but nothing else is getting in. Strange.
    01-07-09 03:52 AM
    the dust along with the gap in the screen, i just cant see this device lasting beyond a year

I know the jesus phone has some dust issues but this seems to be wide spread. I can hear my phone wiggle back and forth when i run up or down stairs or move quickly with the phone in hand. I love this phone and its runs like a cheetah for me, but im not going to baby it and wrap it in blankets for the sake of a spec of dust getting under the screen. Thats ridiculous. This thing is built like a tank but doesnt have the "armor" in the right places.

Blackberry's are for power users and abusers, this phone i dont quite think is built for long lasting. Ill use the phone until the dust becomes unbearable or the click eventually stops, then ill switch to the iphone or revert back to the curve, but i have fallen in love with the touch screen type of phone. We'll see
    01-07-09 08:20 AM
    For those of you that received a replacement because of dust. Did you call the 800 number or went to a local verizon?

TIA
    I called the 800 and they ask me to go to store to have a CS to verify the dust issue and put a note on my account and call back for a replacement to be sent out, when I got to the store I just told them the tech over the phone said you guys will swap it out for me and he did.
    01-07-09 08:31 AM
    wonder if thats why my screen never gets warm i have it on 10%
    01-07-09 02:11 PM
    If the dust is a big issue after the jan 15 cutoff date, any way to get a replacement? If its a minor issue now do tou think I should just replace it...my only hesitation is I already exchanged one and this one clicks much better than the first...

01-07-09 05:17 PM
    If the dust is a big issue after the jan 15 cutoff date, any way to get a replacement? If its a minor issue now do tou think I should just replace it...my only hesitation is I already exchanged one and this one clicks much better than the first...

keep sending them back .... i will be at 6
    01-07-09 05:27 PM
    Why is it that it seems that there are SO many variables involved with the Storm?

I find it Scary that you debate returning the product for "X" reason-

Get a new one that gives you no problem with "X", but then have a problem with "Y".

Then your stuck weighing in if "X" is more important than "Y" just incase you get another phone that has issue with "X", or even possibly "Z"?

01-07-09 05:32 PM
    Why is it that it seems that there are SO many variables involved with the Storm?

Get a new one that gives you no problem with "X", but then have a problem with "Y".

Then your stuck weighing in if "X" is more important than "Y" just incase you get another phone that has issue with "X", or even possibly "Z"?

Cut that out prada. Your making too much sense of this mess. Remember baby steps. Don't want to overwhelm them.

They have been beaten down into accepting defective devices lol. Priceless.
    Last edited by cereal killer; 01-07-09 at 05:59 PM.
    01-07-09 05:56 PM
    I could live with a bad click before I could live with dust invading the display. All of my Storms have worked flawlessly, but they all have had the dust issue after a week or so.
    01-08-09 12:17 AM
    I give you props Changal for having the balls to open up your phone and do what you did. I have a problem with the fact that this is NOT done at the factory. I'm sorry, but if I pay good money for something I expect it to work. Imagine if you bought a brand new Honda and a month after owning it you realizied the paint started to chip off. I'm guessing you would have a different reaction. I'm not trying to compare a $500 (not in contract) device to a $20000 car. However, you still expect to get what you paid for and what VZW is charging for the Storm, it is comparible to a new car in relative terms.
    01-08-09 06:26 PM
    I give you props Changal for having the balls to open up your phone and do what you did. I have a problem with the fact that this is NOT done at the factory. I'm sorry, but if I pay good money for something I expect it to work. Imagine if you bought a brand new Honda and a month after owning it you realizied the paint started to chip off. I'm guessing you would have a different reaction. I'm not trying to compare a $500 (not in contract) device to a $20000 car. However, you still expect to get what you paid for and what VZW is charging for the Storm, it is comparible to a new car in relative terms.
    i hear you - the qc on the initial batch of storms was **** poor.

my storm never had dust - i just did this as a precautionary measure. it's really not that hard to open up the phone.
    01-08-09 06:31 PM
    I'm thinking of doing this, but I'm undecided on what I want to seal it with. Might buy some electronics grade silicone online, as I think that would work the best without affecting the click and keeping the phone looking "stock".
    01-08-09 10:30 PM

All I know is... I'm not returning my phone for anything. I don't have X, Y or Z!!
    01-09-09 12:28 AM
    I am thinking of saran wrapping my phone lol to prevent dust. I also think that the plastic gets static and attracts dust, same as speakers. I have dust on the speakers and around the screen on the phone that I only had for like 5 days, none under the screen yet, but I know it will happen. I have some Zagg invisisheild that's coming to me, and I was thinking of buying the iphone one (or one that's made for bigger screen) and taping it totally over the screen, over the gaps and all the way to the sides.
    01-09-09 01:24 AM
    All I know is... I'm not returning my phone for anything. I don't have X, Y or Z!!
    Unfortunately, Thats not the case for some others...

I had to go through 4 until I found the "Right" One
    01-10-09 10:40 AM
    Unfortunately, Thats not the case for some others...

I had to go through 4 until I found the "Right" One
    What is the production date on your 4th Storm? I'm curious to see if they have resolved the dust issue by now...
    01-10-09 12:47 PM
    how do you check when your storm was made... I had returned my first one with dust under the screen then the second one when i was on a white screen and pushed anywhere on the screen i had this black shadow appear in the middle from the dimple so i gave that one back and got another one lets hope this one is better i just want to see when it was made im assuming under the battery when you pull it right?
    01-10-09 01:18 PM
    The MFG date is on the big white label on the actual box. It's in the bottom right corner, and is in d/m/y format. 191208= 12-19-08.
    01-10-09 09:12 PM
141 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD