For those of you that received a replacement because of dust. Did you call the 800 number or went to a local verizon?

TIA
    01-06-09 09:57 AM
    For those of you that received a replacement because of dust. Did you call the 800 number or went to a local verizon?

TIA
    First replacement was a call to customer service who transfered me to tech support. Tech support than sent me replacement. I'm about to go to store and get a replacement...both have dust issues.
    01-06-09 10:07 AM
    Im sure RIM will fix this once they start refurbing units that were sent back. I would just deal with what you have for now...wait 6 months and go get a refurb. That is what I am doing...by then the click issue and the dust issue will be all fixed.
    01-06-09 10:10 AM
    I went to the VZ store for a dust issue and they did not replace mine so I am calling the 800 number to get it done. I would rather have a fresh one from the factory than some old one sitting at the store.
    01-06-09 10:28 AM
    I went to the VZ store for a dust issue and they did not replace mine so I am calling the 800 number to get it done. I would rather have a fresh one from the factory than some old one sitting at the store.
    Than you make up another excuse such as clicking issue and hardware reboots randomly.

Whenever I get replacements, the store always enters a request via their computer system and a replacement is sent to me. They never gave me a replacement from the store.
    01-06-09 10:33 AM
    Man this makes me nervous. I am getting a replacement tomorrow due to a screen click issue, but now I'm scared that my new one will be getting a dusty screen.
    01-06-09 10:33 AM
    Than you make up another excuse such as clicking issue and hardware reboots randomly.

Whenever I get replacements, the store always enters a request via their computer system and a replacement is sent to me. They never gave me a replacement from the store.
    Thanks, I will try that today my click sucks in the corners anyways.
    01-06-09 10:35 AM
    There are other issues besides annoyance with the dust on the screen. By now, most of us know the two naturally occurring things that kill electronics - - HEAT AND DUST. They go hand in hand, because dust heats up faster because of its surface area than what is around it, it quickly degenerates electronic components (So keep your computers clean!). On this particular device the choice of battery and a metal back plate, often cause this device to get rather hot, especially if the media player is operating for any length of time. A well placed dust particle could heat up sufficiently to burn into the lcd screen. Either way dust and the corresponding heat will degrade the sensors over time. This entire device may have some fatal flaws built in that may show up over 9-11 months from now.
    01-06-09 10:44 AM
    Ew.

What are you guys doing?

I have an early model Storm (12/2/08) and it has none of these issues. Admittedly, I keep it in a holster but even if you're keeping it in your pocket, how is it that bad AFTER wiping off? Is RIM forgetting to seal the units? I thought QC was supposed to improve over time, not regress.
    01-06-09 11:05 AM
    Man this makes me nervous. I am getting a replacement tomorrow due to a screen click issue, but now I'm scared that my new one will be getting a dusty screen.
    This is exactly what happened to me. Replaced phone with bad screen and ended up with dust. Ironically my new replacement one doesn't click well but looks to have sealed screen. I will probably just do a shim fix and live with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 11:08 AM
    This dust issue is clearly unacceptable. I hope to get a good one when it comes this week.
    01-06-09 11:34 AM
    Wow, foodshooter looks like you played in a sandbox with that thing! :-p

I have a bit of dust under my screen, I'd say it's only about 20% of what that person had. I do keep my mobile in my pants pocket most of the time too.
    01-06-09 11:57 AM
    I just had to return my first Storm because of the dust issue...And it really wasn't a problem until I decided to get waaaay to picky and blow compressed air into the gaps..

You would think that someone would develop a rubber like gasket to fit around the edges and flex with the screen...

The lesson here is if there is no dust do not try to clean the cracks out because it will shoot dust into the screen..dont believe me, try it and get pissed..

AND..the best part..when I called about my replacement the guy had no idea about anything..he tried telling me that the new one that was coming had that problem solved..LIAR!
    01-06-09 12:53 PM
    I agree this is a huge downfall to the phone, but as long as they are giving free replacements there is no reason to get bent out of shape about it.
    01-06-09 01:13 PM
    I agree this is a huge downfall to the phone, but as long as they are giving free replacements there is no reason to get bent out of shape about it.
    Actually I wouldn't want to keep having to replace my phone. Having to set up a new phone all the time and dealing with all the hassles is a big deal to some. and they aren't going to keep giving people a new phone every few weeks.
    01-06-09 01:38 PM
    When I called to get a replacement for what I called "excessive dust under the screen" I was told this was a surprise and that I should take it to a Verizon store to have the Tech clean it for me- no replacement. I did not take that as the final answer and had to press them for about 15 minutes before a replacement was ordered- but not before they told me I'd be charged full retail for the handset I sent back if was not determined "defective". I mean, they are really getting tough on this issue. Getting bent out of shape is needed.

Back in 2005 RIM sent replacements to people with 8700's that got dust in them. The reason was they learned assembly was being done incorrectly and they took steps to fix it.

If anyone thinks they don't have dust, they are not looking. Get a bright LED flashlight and shine it on an angle at the display when its off. You'll see the dust.

I'll post them here again, but here are my dust pictures. Taken with a 180mm Canon macro lens and with an open aperture so I could focus on the back side of the screen (i.e. inside the unit). Multiply this by 34 times to get the full 24 month accumulation over the life of the contract:

01-06-09 02:15 PM
    That looks like the sky and little stars. All you're missing is scrolling text from Star wars.

I dont have that many. I only have a couple of specs and they're in the middle. Luckily, they are sending me a replacement.
    01-06-09 02:20 PM
    today i struck back against the dust i took apart my storm pulled the screen out separated the screens blew every thing out put it all back together and used butaltape to reseal the screen i am positive that no dust can penetrate the screen hahahah the dust is defeated only for the very brave person

by the way butaltape is a glass glazing tape
    01-06-09 02:30 PM
    I would love to see someone make a good tutorial on taking the Storm apart. I would seal the screen myself in a heartbeat if I knew how to get it apart without messing something up. I received yet another NEW Storm today, and this screen looks different than the last one, and the one before that. If I can get some good pics, I'll post them later. This screen looks to be sealed well, but so did the last one. The good news with this one, is that the screen clicks better and doesn't have that yellow tint like my last one.
    01-06-09 09:15 PM
    they seriously needed to put some sort of flexible gasket around the screen. I found a compressed air elecronics blower canister at work today... looks like i'll be using that a few times a week!
    01-06-09 09:21 PM
    That actually makes the dust issue worse. If the seal is no good, all you will do is blow dust IN the display and make things worse. I'm convinced that 100% of Storms sold have this problem, and many people either haven't noticed it, or don't really care. The best way to see if you have dust inside the glass, is to turn your phone off and look at it in the sun, or use an LED light and shine it on the screen with the phone off. Mine was very visible anytime the screen was white, and bugged the **** out of me. Broke out the light, and sure enough Storm #2 had dust everywhere. Got Storm #3 today, and I'm expecting it to have the same problem. Pissing in the wind I believe is the appropriate term here.
    01-06-09 09:28 PM
    they seriously needed to put some sort of flexible gasket around the screen. I found a compressed air elecronics blower canister at work today... looks like i'll be using that a few times a week!
    Wrong move. That will just make things worse and blow dust/particles in.
    01-06-09 09:30 PM
    I had my storm since Dec 11th and have no problems. Did you guys know the phone comes with a hard screen cover display protector on it? Its really tough to take off and Im hoping you guys arent confusing that with the screen itself. I just dont know how this is become a problem for some people.

EDIT: Also, the screen is somewhat like an invisible shield. It is VERY difficult to peal off and virtually un seeable. So make sure you guys are looking for that to be on there or understand that the Storm comes with it pre-installed. Its been almost a month for me and no dust issues.
    Last edited by Terrigno; 01-06-09 at 09:44 PM.
    01-06-09 09:30 PM
    All 3 of my Storms have only had one protector on them. Also, using the LED light, I can see that the dust is sitting directly on the actually LCD display. I wish I were confusing dust under the screen with dust under a protector, but I'm not.
    01-06-09 09:51 PM
    This is starting to become a trend for a lot of Storm owners. I don't agree with the poster that said wait six months and they will have the problem fixed. In six months the device will have been out for seven months. How much longer from then until we see a new BB touch device?

Another reason to steer me away from the Storm for the time being.
    01-06-09 10:05 PM
141 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD