After making a thread sometime ago about how my newer replacement Storm had a "better seal", I must've jinxed myself because this ******* phone has a bunch of dust under the screen as well. I broke out the LED flashlight after noticing a few dots not consistent with the sensors, and sure enough dust abounds inside the display. They are very noticeable on white backgrounds, and when the display is off. This is absolutely ridiculous, and unacceptable for a $500 phone. My daughter has a UTS Blitz that was free when we added a line, and it has no dust in the display at all. Same goes for the wife's Voyager. I don't keep my phone in my pants pocket, and my house isn't in the Sahara Desert.

I've taken care to use a small soft bristled paint brush to get any dust or lint that may be in the gaps, but somehow some way dust still made it's home in my beloved Storm after nearly two weeks. I'm trying one more replacement, and if this one gets gunk in it I'm finished with the Storm and getting a damn iPhone or Curve. If this is happening after two weeks, imagine what it will look like a year from now. Don't think YOU have dust? Break out a flashlight on the display while the phone is off and check. You'll be as pissed as me. What **** QC RIM has going on.
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 01-06-09 at 09:43 PM. Reason: language
    01-06-09 12:08 AM
    I'm sorry.

But the whole Dust under the Screen thing is unavoidable-

Especially since there's a huge gap all around it.

I agree that a 500 dollar phone shouldn't have this issue, but there is nothing we can do about it at this point.

If it's that much of an issue, return it.
    01-06-09 12:11 AM
    It doesnt seem that big of a deal to me. I haven't seen any dust and neither will I go looking for it either.
    01-06-09 12:14 AM
    The gaps aren't the MAIN culprit though. I know those gaps hold dust, but if the screen was sealed properly it wouldn't be an issue. Upon closer inspection of my Storm, I can see where the outer screen is starting to peel away from the inner LCD screen, since I can see light coming through. When I first got it, there was light showing in the gaps, but not in between the two screens. Can't believe it just peels away like that. I got one more on the way, and I'm gonna give it a try and hope that RIM truly got this issue wrapped up. If not, I'll just go with the Curve or buy out my contract and get the iPhone IF AT&T doesn't suck in my area. I like the Storm, but I'd still like to be able to see the screen a year from now.

It doesnt seem that big of a deal to me. I haven't seen any dust and neither will I go looking for it either.
    Not sure how this isn't a big deal. Dirt, dust, and debris are entering the the actual display. Has that ever happened on any phone you've ever owned? I know I have never had this problem with the 40 other phones I've owned through out the years. The Storm has a great display, but after time all that crap will accumulate and seriously detract from the quality of the screen. I've had my for only two weeks, and it's already chock full of dust. This is crazy.
    Last edited by Jaysus Cutler6; 01-06-09 at 12:20 AM.
    01-06-09 12:16 AM
    After making a thread sometime ago about how my newer replacement Storm had a "better seal", I must've jinxed myself because this goddamn phone has a bunch of dust under the screen as well. I broke out the LED flashlight after noticing a few dots not consistent with the sensors, and sure enough dust abounds inside the display. They are very noticeable on white backgrounds, and when the display is off. This is absolutely ridiculous, and unacceptable for a $500 phone. My daughter has a UTS Blitz that was free when we added a line, and it has no dust in the display at all. Same goes for the wife's Voyager. I don't keep my phone in my pants pocket, and my house isn't in the Sahara Desert.

I've taken care to use a small soft bristled paint brush to get any dust or lint that may be in the gaps, but somehow some way dust still made it's home in my beloved Storm after nearly two weeks. I'm trying one more replacement, and if this one gets gunk in it I'm finished with the Storm and getting a damn iPhone or Curve. If this is happening after two weeks, imagine what it will look like a year from now. Don't think YOU have dust? Break out a flashlight on the display while the phone is off and check. You'll be as pissed as me. What **** QC RIM has going on.
    I'm in the exact same boat as you unfortunately

I got my first Storm on 11Nov2008 and it clicked perfectly but after 3 weeks dust started to become noticeable so I told myself... "no biggie... it must be the first ones they made... I'll just replace it" which I did, and the second one did not click as well as my first one but I was willing to live with that as long as the phone was dust free. Well, as most of you can predict my second Storm is 3 days old and I can already see two pieces of dust under my screen... I cannot begin to describe how frustrated I am with RIM right now

I love the Storm in every other way... if the damn thing could only be dust free we'd have a winner... I'm at the point of returning my Storm and going back to my original tiny pearl.

I did send a very detailed e-mail to RIM explaining our situation... if I don't hear back by this weekend the Storm will be going back unfortunately.
    01-06-09 12:51 AM
    I personally would love to see what Jim and Mike would have to say about this if they were confronted with it in person. I know if I was a CEO of a company I'd be concerned about even small things like this. The screen sandwich should be completely sealed on the edges. I don't think anyone cares about the edge gap that much anymore, but the screen being sandwiched together with the same cheap *** tape-glue that's holding the buttons on is BS in my book.
    01-06-09 12:51 AM
    I think they simply forget to seal the screen on some of the phones. My first one had no dust issues but had a crunchy screen. Second one however was horrible with dust

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 01:06 AM
    I chose to live with a worse clicking screen than the first because the seal SEEMED better. Now it has dust, and I can actually SEE where the seal is starting to separate. When I get my new Storm tomorrow I hope to god this one is fixed, and I'll post a pic of where the seal peeling apart on my current phone. The thing that attracted me most to the Storm was the screen, so having it be ruined by dust after only two weeks(one week longer than last time)is not acceptable at all. After doing some research, I've found that the iPhone has this issue as well, so if my new Storm is a no go I'm just gonna get a Curve or go back to my Dare. What sucks is that I haven't had any issues with screen click, or random reboots, and both phones have been very fast operation wise. If I could just get one that keeps the dust out, I'd be incredibly happy with the device. Some of you may think this is a minor issue, but what if your high dollar HDTV started getting dust and debris inside the screen? I want to hear some feedback from RIM on this issue, and find out what if anything, they are doing to fix this.
    Last edited by Jaysus Cutler6; 01-06-09 at 01:13 AM.
    01-06-09 01:11 AM
    Just wondering... do you keep it in your pocket or somewhere else where the screen can get warm. If the cheap *** glue-tape they use gets too warm, I have a feeling that it contributes a lot to it weakening enough to start separating. Just a thought.
    01-06-09 01:14 AM
    I'm in the exact same boat as you unfortunately

I got my first Storm on 11Nov2008 and it clicked perfectly but after 3 weeks dust started to become noticeable so I told myself... "no biggie... it must be the first ones they made... I'll just replace it" which I did, and the second one did not click as well as my first one but I was willing to live with that as long as the phone was dust free. Well, as most of you can predict my second Storm is 3 days old and I can already see two pieces of dust under my screen... I cannot begin to describe how frustrated I am with RIM right now

I love the Storm in every other way... if the damn thing could only be dust free we'd have a winner... I'm at the point of returning my Storm and going back to my original tiny pearl.

I did send a very detailed e-mail to RIM explaining our situation... if I don't hear back by this weekend the Storm will be going back unfortunately.

Please keep us posted as to what RIM writes back to you if they even do. I am sure there are many of us here that are eager to hear what they have to say. I absolutaly LOVE my storm. I fixed the screen click problem by adjusting the screws and love it even more now. The only problem is, that I do have some dust behind the screen. I noticed it the first time about 2 weeks ago. I really havent noticed any more added to what was there, and I have been using it the exact same way. Putting it in my pocket, leaving it out in my office and at home. I wouldnt even want a replacement for this one. I would just like for them to take apart the screen, clean out the dust, and apply some more adhesive to keep any more dust out.
    01-06-09 01:17 AM
    Just wondering... do you keep it in your pocket or somewhere else where the screen can get warm. If the cheap *** glue-tape they use gets too warm, I have a feeling that it contributes a lot to it weakening enough to start separating. Just a thought.

No, but I do notice that when I'm using it for awhile the SCREEN becomes very warm like the back of the phone does. The heat along with clicking the screen while the adhesive is "soft" could definitely cause the seal to break. Maybe someone could contact RIM about this?
    Last edited by Jaysus Cutler6; 01-06-09 at 01:21 AM.
    01-06-09 01:19 AM
    Turn your backlight down to like 50% or less. Should help with that and it'll still be plenty bright.
    01-06-09 01:21 AM
    I usually keep it on 60, and it still gets warm. I'll try it on my new one tomorrow, and see what happens. You would think that the heat would help the seal seat properly and "even out" a bit, but using the click while it's heated up probably isn't a good idea. Crazy stuff going on with this phone.
    Last edited by Jaysus Cutler6; 01-06-09 at 01:30 AM.
    01-06-09 01:26 AM
    I get my replacement storm tomorrow so i will also check to see if there are any differences in comparison to my launch unit (Canadian made and if it wasn't for dust and a bad clicking screen id be happy!). I had the worst dust problem as well...white background was the enemy!

/*Crosses Fingers*/

I personally would love to see what Jim and Mike would have to say about this if they were confronted with it in person. I know if I was a CEO of a company I'd be concerned about even small things like this. The screen sandwich should be completely sealed on the edges. I don't think anyone cares about the edge gap that much anymore, but the screen being sandwiched together with the same cheap *** tape-glue that's holding the buttons on is BS in my book.
    QFT! Massive Truth, probably saved them .25 cents but when you look at it across the broder spectrum ($$$)...
    Last edited by REC7IFY; 01-06-09 at 01:36 AM.
    01-06-09 01:29 AM
    V
    My phone with dust problem did not have a seal at all since the day I got it, you could actually see light leaking into screen when phone was tilted.

01-06-09 01:34 AM
    If my new phone has this issue, I'm just gonna deal with it. I can't see myself going to the Curve or back to the crappy Dare. Maybe in time RIM will get this fixed, and I can get a like new device later on that doesn't have this issue.
    Last edited by Jaysus Cutler6; 01-06-09 at 01:46 AM.
    01-06-09 01:40 AM
    My first phone was the same way. My second phone didn't have any light leakage between the screen, but the seal started to peel away with use. Here's what my first phone looked like all the way around the screen, except the bottom of the screen was sealed tight:

I'll post a pic tomorrow of the tear/separation of the seal on my current phone.
    Last edited by Jaysus Cutler6; 01-06-09 at 01:47 AM.
    01-06-09 01:44 AM
    For those who are lucky enough to not understand when people complain about dust "under" the screen and says just don't look for it or just ignore it and it's not a big deal. Just wait till you find your first piece of dust that got under and shows up on your big and crispy display. I got my first piece of dust a week ago, I just sort of ignored it. It bother me a little but not much, yesterday a couple more pieces were found under the screen. Once you know it's there it's all you can see. I am sure more will get in under the screen and I will not just deal with it. I will be returning it and expect RIM to fix the problem.
    01-06-09 02:21 AM
    My first phone was the same way. My second phone didn't have any light leakage between the screen, but the seal started to peel away with use. Here's what my first phone looked like all the way around the screen, except the bottom of the screen was sealed tight:

I'll post a pic tomorrow of the tear/separation of the seal on my current phone.

this is what my canadian phone with dust problem looked like. Both Mexican made ones did not have the leakage there. Ironically the Canadian one had better clicking screen than either of the Mexican ones.
    01-06-09 02:48 AM
    Well that really sucks dude... I'm about to try for a replacement soon and then I will hopefully use the case & laminate trick to curb it but who knows. Here's some pics I just took of mine for documentation.

edit: also wanted to add that I wiped the screen very well with a lint free cloth before I took my pics
    01-06-09 03:08 AM
    Wow...you got a **** ton of dust in your display. If I could find a good tutorial on how to take the Storm apart, I would and seal the screen up properly. Every damn phone I want has dust issues: iPhone, Curve, and our lovely Storm. RIM.....WHERE ARE YOU??
    01-06-09 03:12 AM
    Dust is definatly an issue with "touch" based LCD displays. I have a tablet pc that I write and rest my hand on everyday and I can see dust creeping in from the corners. I also sent it back to the manufacturer to get it cleaned.

I had the same dust problem with the storm. I seems like the warmth from your hand and the overall wear and tear from pressing the screen weakens any touch LCD screen. It seems to be inevitable.

As a temporary fix I did buy that High Density foam from Home Depot and placed slivers in around the screen of my new replacement storm and so far no dust. It also fixed the screen shifting problem.
    01-06-09 07:49 AM
    Got a new replacement coming cause of dust! We will have to see if it is better.

01-06-09 07:53 AM
    Mine didn't have any dust, but I still took it apart and sealed the edge with silicone. If you try this be careful as silicone can be corrosive on electronics as it cures, but once cured it's safe, so make sure you just seal the edge. There's also silicone made for electronics that's not corrosive, but I couldn't find any locally.
    01-06-09 08:50 AM
    Well that really sucks dude... I'm about to try for a replacement soon and then I will hopefully use the case & laminate trick to curb it but who knows. Here's some pics I just took of mine for documentation.

edit: also wanted to add that I wiped the screen very well with a lint free cloth before I took my pics
    WOW, I can now clearly see what the dust issue is all about. I agree it is unacceptable, expecially so soon after receiving the unit. Maybe after 2 or 3 years I could accept it, but not that much dust in a month. I believe VZW & RIM have acknowledge the dust issue and are replacing phones for that reason. I also believe they are now sealing them better.
    01-06-09 09:08 AM
141 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD