Yeah I just cracked my glass screen tryin this so everyone else. Watch out And be careful

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 11:48 AM
    Ok I watched the videos. Had guitar pick in hand and got scared. I read elsewhere on these forums about the vacuum method. I tried that first and it worked. I used the house vacuum with the narrow edge attachment and place my fingers around the tip of the vacuum attachment to keep the tip about 1/2" to 3/4" away from the phone. I went around all the edges of the glass. It worked. I figured if dust gets in there with nothing forcing it in, it should easily come out with a little suction.

So if you don't have a pick or just the thought of opening up the screen makes you nervous try this. I don't recall who suggested it but PROPS TO YOU VACUUM DUDE!
    06-03-09 12:05 PM
    Bought my Storm the day it was released. 7+ months and no dust!
    06-03-09 12:12 PM
    Ok I watched the videos. Had guitar pick in hand and got scared. I read elsewhere on these forums about the vacuum method. I tried that first and it worked. I used the house vacuum with the narrow edge attachment and place my fingers around the tip of the vacuum attachment to keep the tip about 1/2" to 3/4" away from the phone. I went around all the edges of the glass. It worked. I figured if dust gets in there with nothing forcing it in, it should easily come out with a little suction.

So if you don't have a pick or just the thought of opening up the screen makes you nervous try this. I don't recall who suggested it but PROPS TO YOU VACUUM DUDE!
    I used a high-powered mini vac from Radio Shack. Worked like a charm.
    I also heated the screen a tad bit, in order to get the adhesive to reseal all the edges.

Been two months... no issues. And I live in a very dusty/ windy desert.
    06-03-09 12:49 PM
    Bought my Storm the day it was released. 7+ months and no dust!
    Wish I was as lucky as you were.
    06-03-09 01:38 PM
    i just dont know if this is a good idea, it seems that if you remove the glass cover, itll break whatever seal exists and cause even more dust to build up in the future...
    Did mine several weeks ago and no new dust yet.... I did however, stop wearing my phone when cutting the lawn and/or working in the garden....
    06-03-09 01:47 PM
    i did it and no more dust!
    06-03-09 02:39 PM
    I read all of these posts and it makes me wonder....

There are all of these 'fixes' for preventing dust from getting under the screen. Most of said fixes mention a screen protector?? So my question is this:
    How will a screen protector, of any kind/size/material help dust that gets into the phone from AROUND the touchscreen (the part the screen protector does NOT cover. I could see... MAYBE... if the screen protector was oversized and hung over the edges of the screen, that MAYBE the adhesive on the screen protector would catch some loose debris before it goes past the seal under the screen. Still seems like a stretch to me though.
    Now, what I HAVE seen though is the screen click fix (putting material behind the batt door to wedge more pressure into the touchscreen, resulting in a better click feel/response). This fix inadvertantly puts more strain against the seal under the screen as well, resulting in less/no dust.

PS, been a long day, sorry if it seems like I am ranting =)

No I guess after reading this you are about the only one of us that really took time to read what the actual problem was being addressed....I just seen dust problem and didnt really read into it as much as I guess I could have? I will have to try your fix!! Thanks for the idea!!! No do I remove the batter or just put something inbetween the door and the battery?
    06-03-09 10:39 PM
    3 days have gone by and no more dust is getting under my screen after I cleaned it and placed a psp screen protector over it and clamped on my lil case!!!! **** ya,looking good.Just wanted to update those who were asking if it was working.A definite yes!!!!BTW....I work in a dusty *** wharehouse,so if there was gonna be any dust getting in there it would have already done it by now.
    06-06-09 12:55 AM
    No I guess after reading this you are about the only one of us that really took time to read what the actual problem was being addressed....I just seen dust problem and didnt really read into it as much as I guess I could have? I will have to try your fix!! Thanks for the idea!!! No do I remove the batter or just put something inbetween the door and the battery?
    Just take the cover off and put a business card folded in half under the cover at the top near the battery.
    06-06-09 08:31 AM
    I don't recall who suggested it but PROPS TO YOU VACUUM DUDE!
    hahaha
    *takes a bow*
    been a while since I have been called vacuum dude, so thanks.... oh... and dont ask about the last time I had that title.
    06-07-09 01:57 AM
    I will have to try your fix!! Thanks for the idea!!! No do I remove the batter or just put something inbetween the door and the battery?
    Don't remove the battery. works better if the material presses the door from about where the memory card is, down to the end of the batery. I will post a pic soon as I get off my rear and get the motivation up for it.
    06-07-09 02:02 AM
    Thanks a lot for this tip!!! It cracked my screen on the inside and now I can't use my storm.... awesome!

Now I have to make an insurance claim and pay $175 excess because the screen isnt covered under warranty. I much preferred a working storm with the bit of dust.

-----------------

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so angry but more so just a warning perhaps to be careful with things like this. I tried it on my own accord and it wasn't worth it in the end for a small bit of dust. Please be very careful if your planning on trying this 'trick'.

I spoke to Vodafone and said it just happened, not sure how and it seems that it will be covered under warranty and replaced. This is good news as I didn't really fancy forking out $175 for insurance.
    Last edited by mikeparakh; 06-07-09 at 08:59 PM.
    06-07-09 03:55 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD