so i have was playing around with my storm i orderd a new screen for it and a bunch of new items ( new housing, new top and bottom cover, screen etc) and i ran a across a tutorial on how to keep dust out and i cant find it again i really want it keep you posted if i find it again. But what i did was i took a q-tip and super glue and lightly covered the edges of the screen with it to cover the space between the glass and the screen and i have to say it looks good cant even tell it is there i have to wait to see if it works but i dont see why it wouldnt. Tell me if you want a tutorial or something
    05-16-09 12:21 PM
    so i have was playing around with my storm i orderd a new screen for it and a bunch of new items ( new housing, new top and bottom cover, screen etc) and i ran a across a tutorial on how to keep dust out and i cant find it again i really want it keep you posted if i find it again. But what i did was i took a q-tip and super glue and lightly covered the edges of the screen with it to cover the space between the glass and the screen and i have to say it looks good cant even tell it is there i have to wait to see if it works but i dont see why it wouldnt. Tell me if you want a tutorial or something
    Man, unless you're a friggin' surgeon, no one is getting near my Storm with Crazy Glue and a Q-Tip. Specially me.
    05-16-09 12:27 PM
    wel then this isnt for you LOL
    05-16-09 12:32 PM
    Won't that affect clicking?
    05-16-09 12:36 PM
    Won't that affect clicking?
    No, no, no. He didn't superglue in between the screen and the phone. Ha ha ha! On the new screen he got, he put some superglue around the whole edge of the screen where the two parts of the screen come together (where the dust gets in). That shouldn't affect clicking at all.
    05-16-09 12:40 PM
    thanks morf 32 no just the edges and it works pretty good the clicking is fine and to my surprise the new housing is way better than the old one it fits better and the clicking is way better
    05-16-09 12:44 PM
    here is the site i got the idea from
    05-16-09 01:05 PM
    Watched vid...thanks.

No dust problem yet tho.
    05-16-09 01:17 PM
    Awesome video mate. Wish i saw this before i took the head part of my phone and snapped the lock button cable. Ah well you win some you lose some.
    05-16-09 01:24 PM
    Out of curiosity - how much is a new screen? Is that just the outer glass layer or the entire screen sandwich ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 01:45 PM
    Out of curiosity - how much is a new screen? Is that just the outer glass layer or the entire screen sandwich ?

Cnn.cn sells it for $99.99.
    05-16-09 01:54 PM
    yeah i spend 107 for mine and it took about 2 weeks to get here but that was ok i love the fact that cnn.cn is oem on the dot they have very good products no complaints at all
    05-16-09 02:43 PM
    i also bought a new camera cover off ebay for 3 bucks it looks good to the phone looks exactly the same as if i bought it right from RIM and i have to say i am no longer afraid to put my phone in my pocket and collectin dust the next thing i want to do is buy a black bezel for it so that it matches my 8900
    05-16-09 02:46 PM
    yeah i spend 107 for mine and it took about 2 weeks to get here but that was ok i love the fact that cnn.cn is oem on the dot they have very good products no complaints at all
    Yupp. No complaints here either. I've ordered numerous things from them, all great quality and no issues down the road.
    05-16-09 02:47 PM
    I can't say for sure that this applies to yours, but the display I got from cnn.cn was fully sealed all the way around and is notably better than the ones that came in my Storms. So, you may not have had to do that. Probably doesn't hurt though.

To answer the question about what you get, the display comes as the complete sandwich EXCEPT for the very bottom plate that pushes on the button. It's very easy to pry the old display off the bottom plate and then you simply press the new display into the old plate using the adhesive tape that comes on the new display.

And I was concerned the first time I ordered something from cnn.cn since they are in Hong Kong, but now I have ordered three times with absolutely no problem. I got two keypads, a bezel, and a new mid plate (the part with the button) in addition to the display!
    05-16-09 03:01 PM
    Well to answer your question the screen i received wasnt sealed that is awsome yours was, and it does feel way better than the orginal, The only think i didnt like was taking the bak plate off i didnt want to break it. An i have just orderd my Black bezel For the phone i will post pics when im done.
    05-16-09 04:05 PM
    How hard is it to disassemble and assemble the storm? I want to replace my screen(dust) and bezel(dropped it too many times -__-). I have never done any disassembly before but do have steady hands. Thanks.
    05-16-09 06:38 PM
    I don't know about this

05-16-09 09:51 PM
    To disassemble the strom is easy but you have to have paitence tho or it will not work right and replacing the bezel is kinda hard but the screen is easy as long as you are careful
    05-18-09 12:26 PM
    No, no, no. He didn't superglue in between the screen and the phone. Ha ha ha! On the new screen he got, he put some superglue around the whole edge of the screen where the two parts of the screen come together (where the dust gets in). That shouldn't affect clicking at all.
    sounds risky
    05-18-09 12:35 PM
    its not it works just fine
    05-18-09 01:35 PM
    As far as dissassembly of the Storm.... Is there a step by step anywhere? If not, can someone mention where to start.... I am very capable but wonder... do you just start by "prying" the glass off from the front at the top or do you have to loosen something from the inside first?

Second... if one was to get a new phone replacement... do you just restore the new phone from your desktop backup?

Thanks
    05-19-09 07:35 AM
    Does fixing your phone by yourself void the warranty?
    05-19-09 08:19 AM
    As far as dissassembly of the Storm.... Is there a step by step anywhere? If not, can someone mention where to start.... I am very capable but wonder... do you just start by "prying" the glass off from the front at the top or do you have to loosen something from the inside first?

Second... if one was to get a new phone replacement... do you just restore the new phone from your desktop backup?

Thanks
    Here is a great link...
    05-19-09 08:55 AM
    Does fixing your phone by yourself void the warranty?
    Im gonna jump out on a limb here and say it sure does void the warranty
    Last edited by sda3; 05-19-09 at 10:21 AM.
    05-19-09 08:55 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD