View Poll Results: exchange/keep

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Exchange storm for another one

13 56.52%
  • Keep my current storm

10 43.48%
    Ok...so I've had my storm since release date in November...Honestly, no complaints whatsoever about the software, have used the leaks and have been quite happy with .132. However, the dust is just adding up...should I exchange it? Free, or even for the $50 insurance.

Won't my new/refurbished storm just eventually have the same issue? I see that some people have been returning it, and just want some opinions. Also, the fact that my storm has had no click issues or anything of that nature, isn't there a chance now that my new storm has some issues aside from dust that my original one didnt? Thanks.
    05-18-09 06:19 PM
    There is always the chance that the new one will have issues far worse then the dust, and there is the chance that it will run smooth, it is a risk you take.

it depends how much the dust bothers you and if you can wait it out. if you have good click and a solid OS build, its hard to want to exchange the phone for something different.

completely a decision you would have to make.
    05-18-09 06:21 PM
    I also have release date Storm with no other problems. Started noticing dust about three weeks ago but really only bothers me when it is highly visible in direct sunlight. I have thought about returning it but between the hassle factor and the possibility of getting a replacement with more serious problems, I probably won't. Eventually I'll drop it in the toilet or leave it on the roof of my car or something, and then the dust issue will be solved when I really need a replacement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 07:30 PM
    I read thread a while back about a person who also had dust problems. He used a vacuum hose to suck it out. Try that. I'd probably exchange my phone if I had a lot of dust

05-18-09 07:31 PM
    I had this same dilemma and I took the plunge and got a replacement storm. I've only had my new one for a week, but so far so good. No click issue, no crashes, running hybrid OS and all is well. The test will be to see if the dust comes back. I hope not. I say, exchange it, it's a defect and you pay too much for a phone to have it look like that in the sun.
    05-18-09 07:35 PM
    I got my Storm in early December. I have dust issues, but can live with it until my next upgrade phone. I have very few other issues, so I am not willing to risk another unit that may eventually have dust or other issues that would affect the functionality.
    05-18-09 07:46 PM
    I read thread a while back about a person who also had dust problems. He used a vacuum hose to suck it out. Try that. I'd probably exchange my phone if I had a lot of dust

Doesn't work. I tried several vacuume types and methods. The only thing I didn't try was my gir.... never mind.

There was a guy somewhere on here that lifted up the screen to clean under it... wonder how that eventually worked out? I would think doing that would only make the seal around the glass worse over time and get even more dust.

My guess as to why the vacuume doesn't work is the dust is stuck to the underside of the glass with static electricity.... this its gonna have to be physically touched to budge. Even tapping the Storm has had no effect.
    05-19-09 06:02 AM
    Get another Storm. But you will see that they are all the same. Storm's screen is a mess, it just loves dust.
    05-19-09 06:22 AM
    I'm in the same boat with a solid phone but lots of dust. I've decided to keep the phone and replace the screen myself. I don't want to take the chance that I might get a lemon. I also don't want to make my 50+ bbm contacts have to edit my PIN in their address books.

05-19-09 06:29 AM
    This is my 3rd storm and no issues yet

05-19-09 07:05 AM
    There is always the chance that the new one will have issues far worse then the dust, and there is the chance that it will run smooth, it is a risk you take.

it depends how much the dust bothers you and if you can wait it out. if you have good click and a solid OS build, its hard to want to exchange the phone for something different.

completely a decision you would have to make.
    couldnt say it better. mine works well now with .109, and a good click and i just give it back because of the dust
    05-19-09 07:11 AM
    I called last week to get my release day 9530 replaced due to dust. The replacement had screen click issues and poor reception, so they're sending me another. You have up to 10 days to send back your original, so if the replacement has issues you can't live with, you have plenty of time to figure that out and swap back to the original phone. That's what I'm doing.
    05-19-09 08:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD