View Poll Results: What would you do if you had severe cosmetic damage?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's just a phone. Deal with it.

8 36.36%
  • Drop $50 for insurance and get a new one.

13 59.09%
  • Try to find the pieces to replace it.

1 4.55%
  • Unlock it, sell it, and buy a different phone.

0 0%
    Works fine but the silver edging is severely chipped. Anyone know of a place to buy Storm pieces so I can replace it? My obsessiveness tells me to drop $50 for insurance, but that's probably not the most practical thing. What would you guys do?
    05-30-09 08:31 PM
    $50 deductible is what i'd do....

I just dropped mine 4 feet onto a rather "rough" concrete floor, however, my full body "Ghost Armor" protected the shell of my Storm from any damage whatsoever.

Best $25 I ever spent!
    05-30-09 08:34 PM
    I've had the phone since launch, and this is the first damage it's sustained. I have some sort of invisible armor on it, but it doesn't cover the silver which is why that's the only damaged part. So I guess I'm gonna take advantage of insurance and get a new one. What kind of case should I get? Ghost Armor?
    05-30-09 11:20 PM
    Replacing the faceplate would void the warranty I'm guessing?
    05-30-09 11:49 PM
    Go to Cellular Accessories - Apple, BlackBerry, Panasonic, Sony, Acer, Alcatel, Motorola, Nokia, Tools, Samsu they have the chrome bevel for 19.99. The actual address should be 9500/9530 - Panasonic, Alcatel, Dopod/O2, HTC, BenQ-Siemens, Motorola, 3G, Nokia, Acer, NEC,

There is also all kinds of other parts if you need them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 12:02 AM
    Go to Cellular Accessories - Apple, BlackBerry, Panasonic, Sony, Acer, Alcatel, Motorola, Nokia, Tools, Samsu they have the chrome bevel for 19.99. The actual address should be 9500/9530 - Panasonic, Alcatel, Dopod/O2, HTC, BenQ-Siemens, Motorola, 3G, Nokia, Acer, NEC,

There is also all kinds of other parts if you need them.

Awesome! Does that void the warranty and/or insurance though?

The other thing I heard is that if you file for insurance you get to keep all your accessories. If this is true then I could pay $50 for a new Storm and sell the extra sd card to some kid for maybe $20. Worth it?
    05-31-09 12:09 AM
    I dropped mine on concrete once and it scrathed the silver but the phone still works fine. I was so freaked out about the possiblity of dropping the phone again I got a Case-Mate Smart Skin. Yeah its a little bulky compared to the phone without a case but the phone is now really protected. I think you could use it as a tennis ball and it would still work and the case covers up the scratch.
    05-31-09 12:10 AM
    Well now I'm debating on filing for insurance or just replacing the bezel for $19. I know I would void the warranty if I replace the bezel, but what benefits does the warranty have over insurance? My warranty is only good for a few more months anyway. If I have insurance would a voided warranty even matter for the next 6 months?
    05-31-09 12:34 AM
    Or you could just purchase one of the numerous brands of cases (I recommend the seido series) for a lot less and hide those nasty scars.

05-31-09 12:35 AM
    I have an invisible case (cheap one though :\), but it doesn't cover the silver. I'm definitely going to buy a case after this though no matter what I do. So you recommend a Seido holster?

My main reason I don't want to file for insurance is because I have a very nice screen protector on it that came with the cheap invisible shield. I'm anal about bubbles/imperfections in screen protectors, and this one is on there perfectly so I'd rather not replace it if I don't have to .

What would be the downsides of just replacing the bezel and voiding my warranty? If something terrible happened couldn't I still file for insurance and just say I lost it or am I missing something?
    05-31-09 12:40 AM
    yep I'm on my 3rd storm 2nd storm I drop it in lake and its still down their

05-31-09 01:48 AM
    As far as I know, if you have insurance, then it won't matter if you void the warranty. I am not 100 percent on that, but if they take the phone if you dunk it in water or give you a replacement for lost or stolen phones then it shouldn't matter at all. I would just replace the part if I were in your shoes.
    05-31-09 06:47 AM
    As far as I know, if you have insurance, then it won't matter if you void the warranty. I am not 100 percent on that, but if they take the phone if you dunk it in water or give you a replacement for lost or stolen phones then it shouldn't matter at all. I would just replace the part if I were in your shoes.
    Yeah that's pretty much what I'm thinking. Even if it does technically void the insurance too, I could just fortunately lose it in the park one day and file it for being lost so I don't see how it could matter. I think I'm gonna replace the part and buy an Innocase II to prevent future mishaps .
    05-31-09 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD