Is anyone gettin more dropped calls? my old phone from vzw never had dropped calls and my storm has them often, do the older phones have a better "network"
    01-16-09 03:47 PM
    If you are having signal issues you can try to reset the radio. I had to do that with my new replacement. Might be a bad antenna. Replacement? This phone seems to get much better reception than previous ones for me. My last phone with VZW pulled 1-2 bars at my deks and this one has constant 4.
    01-16-09 04:22 PM
    Actually, I am getting better reception now then before. I rarely have any dropped calls.
    01-16-09 05:01 PM
    I didn't have dropped calls with my older phones and this one is no different.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 05:10 PM
    obv theres an antenna in the sorm right? is it replaceable??
    01-16-09 08:02 PM
    I find the reception is a little better with the Storm than with my previous phone.
    01-16-09 10:56 PM
    I used to get dropped calls before updating to .78 but now its all sweet

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 11:02 PM
    I've got the same problem with dropped calls. I've had a Motorola v9m for the past year and a half. I can honestly say that I can't remember having ANY dropped calls with that phone. Since changing to my Storm, which I LOVE, I've had more dropped calls than I can count on both hands!! I've tried to upgrade to towers, with *228, but that hasn't changed anything, I'm still dropping calls, and getting more angry with each one! Help!
    01-16-09 11:07 PM
    Is anyone gettin more dropped calls? my old phone from vzw never had dropped calls and my storm has them often, do the older phones have a better "network"
    Keep in mind that the merger with alltel may have something to do with your signal until they get both networks "tied in" together depending on your area. Once both networks are merged I would think that if your having an issue it will be resolved.
    01-16-09 11:08 PM
    Sorry, i was in the bedroom pleasing the old lady
    01-16-09 11:10 PM
    call VZW customer service, go through troubleshooting, and if you make a big enough deal about it they will test the network at your physical address at street level. they drive this van around and they have a bunch of phones. to ensure that you can get service where you are at.

if your having dropped calls flag the calls by dialing "###, send" or "***, send", something that isnt a real number but you will be able to refrence to tech support so they can pull the network records and submit examples. if its a signal issue get the physical address that your having issues. check inside and out, at different spots within the house or building to make sure its not just one spot thats a blind spot to the local towers, etc.

my understanding is now all of the phones have the same capability to pick up the network, and the radio chip is actually the same in all phones, just made into different forms to fit different devices, etc. the network flux is quite normal for CDMA. they will flux up and down, full bars to 1X only without moving my device. especially if you are inside a building, the frequency that CDMA uses doesn't have the penetration capabilities.
    01-17-09 12:48 AM
    I am a Mod over on Storm-Blackberry.com -- and as I posted an important topic that proved VERY useful to many members, it seemed to improve not only their service, signal, etc but their data like the browser speed. I experience improvement in all of them.

A lot of people don't realize this, but when you first turned on your Storm for the very first time, OR after each time you are installing a new OS and the initial restart occurs, when it turns on you are faced with a pop up question asking something about "Recognized a SIM card, do you want to be in Global mode?" Really it should be NO! UNLESS you are going to be going out of country or currently are out of the U.S., then have it in Global or GSM. IT NEEDS TO BE IN 1XEV when you are residing in the U.S.

What happens when you have it in Global while in the US is it will basically "fight" over different towers of different carriers, such as between verizon and AT&T, and will cause all sorts of problems with your phone.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND EVERYONE check their phone by going to the following options:
    Options > Mobile Network >
    Data Options: On
    Network Selection Mode: Automatic
    Network Technology: 1XEV

Make sure all your settings reflect the above. The "Network technology" on your phone will more than likely be in the global setting, and as I have already stated numerous times, that is NOT what you want it to be in.

Hope this helps the OP and everyone else as well!
    01-17-09 01:30 AM
    I am a Mod over on Storm-Blackberry.com -- and as I posted an important topic that proved VERY useful to many members, it seemed to improve not only their service, signal, etc but their data like the browser speed. I experience improvement in all of them.

A lot of people don't realize this, but when you first turned on your Storm for the very first time, OR after each time you are installing a new OS and the initial restart occurs, when it turns on you are faced with a pop up question asking something about "Recognized a SIM card, do you want to be in Global mode?" Really it should be NO! UNLESS you are going to be going out of country or currently are out of the U.S., then have it in Global or GSM. IT NEEDS TO BE IN 1XEV when you are residing in the U.S.

What happens when you have it in Global while in the US is it will basically "fight" over different towers of different carriers, such as between verizon and AT&T, and will cause all sorts of problems with your phone.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND EVERYONE check their phone by going to the following options:
    Options > Mobile Network >
    Data Options: On
    Network Selection Mode: Automatic
    Network Technology: 1XEV

Make sure all your settings reflect the above. The "Network technology" on your phone will more than likely be in the global setting, and as I have already stated numerous times, that is NOT what you want it to be in.

Hope this helps the OP and everyone else as well!

Okay..question on that. I am in 'global'. When I got the phone I was getting the 'sim card rejected' message near the top of the display every so often and having to batt pull. I called support and they 'authenticated' the card for me, even though i don't have trips abroad planned...but it solved the message thing.

Will switching the network technology from global screw up any of those other things described above?

thanks
    01-17-09 03:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD