This started out as a response in another thread, but took on a life of it's own, so...

I have had a blackberry since I threw away my Treo's and Sidekicks in '06, and never thought I would look back. I had purchased an ipod touch the day it was released, and had never been able to convince myself it was such an upgrade over any BB i have had to make the switch from Verizon To ATT.

I was always aware of the Android platform and knew I would appreciate it, but again the instantaneous nature of a BB coupled with all of my closest friends being on BBM kept me paying RIM for far too long.

Blackberrys are undeniably the top dog if you need instant receipt of emails that are NON gmail. If you can part with BBM, and don't need your emails the second they hit your account, there is absolutely no reason to own a Blackberry at this point.

RIM's technology and stability is embarassingly behind the Droid X.

I have went from an 8700, to an 8830, to a Storm, to a Tour, to a Storm2. I was in love with every phone and accentuated the positives of each enough in my mind to ignore the glaring problems that were prevalent in each. My 8800 deleted all my emails(handset side) and texts, and all my messages for that matter randomly, and usually as often as multiple times a day. The Storm, well it was the Storm, you know the drill. The tour was an improvement, but still, random reboots, random slow downs and freezes, random exceptions closing my programs and ruining my experience. Let's not mention the trackball issues. The Storm2, well I thought it was the greatest phone ever. I don't know why I chose to ignore the constant freezing, the slowness switching between apps and using apps. The keyboard issues, not showing up A LOT, the freezing, rebooting, and of course, the 10-15 minutes it took for the phone to reboot. I could go on forever, but come on, if you are here, you know all about RIM's products. They are slow, lacking in features, power, applications, SMOOTHNESS, customization ability, and I could go on for hours.

The Droid X is unbelievable. I bought this thing with the intention of messing around with it for a week or 2 and returning it and paying the $35 restocking fee. Within a few hours it was clear anybody was going to have a hard time pulling this thing from my hands.

I will point out the few negatives before I tell you why it is light years ahead of anything RIM has for you.

Like I said before, if you don't have Gmail, your emails wont be instant anymore. They will usually come to your handset within a few minutes. Sort of going hand and in with this, the Facebook App sucks. Definitely a bit disappointing because I love instant updates from FB, and my gmail account is linked with my FB, so I would expect better. But, accessing Facebooks full site from the X's browser eases some of the pain.

Anyways, now to the positives(in absolutely no particular order).
    -Blazing Fast
    -Infinitely more intuitive and user friendly than any piece of technology I have ever played with
    -Accessibility, I probably have and will repeat this theme, but everything is simply so accessible, more so than any other phone out there, by a long shot. From settings, to features, to programs, to information.
    -Smooth and consistent performance through everything I have put this phone through, whether it be playing with programs while on a phone call, to DOWNLOADING FULL FILES(something you could never do on a BB, lord only knows why), while streaming MP3s through bluetooth to my car, and using other applications.
    -Awesome scrolling through long lists, such as a phonebook, with a bar that u can "grab" with a finger and pull down the right side of a list, just like windows.
    -My Accounts app is an awesome concept, lets you save and manage all your logins from the most popular services out there, from facebook, to skype, to photobucket, to probably any email account you have.
    -Another feature I have heard about, but haven't used, is the corporate directory. I guess if you sync up your device to your company email, you get simple and easy access and integration to your company's directory.
    -From my few days of experience, the battery is slightly better than the Storm2s, and without a doubt lasts longer under heavy usage.
    -Ability to set multiple alarms, and obviously download apps to get even better alarms.
    -Speakerphone is as good as the Storm2s, and the ease and ability to add another participant to a phone call puts the Storm2s ability to shame.
    -Unbelievable web browsing, its like browsing from a computer, and the only consistent difference is most flash videos are not supported, but there is another browser you can use(SkyFire) that will support many of these, me personally, I don't care that much and just stick to the stock browser.
    -Ability to have countless browser windows open, while maintaining performance(hit menu>windows, to access your open windows)
    -Ability to use voice instead of typing, for anything. I use this all the time while driving, just open text, hit mic icon, and speak. EXTREMELY accurate and 9 out 10 times I can send the message as is. I also have a google search(with mic button attached) widget across the top of my main homescreen, just press the mic and say anything, I usually use for finding phone numbers for nearby businesses, and within a second, using GPS, it will bring up a google search with the business and the phone number right in front of you.
    -Camera, namely the VIDEO camera. UNBELIEVABLE. 720p HD video, it is unbelievable. The regular camera takes some tweaking with what mode to use on, and I was expecting a bit better for 8mp, but I still think it is an excellent camera.
    -There is also a cool widget that comes pre installed on one of the home screens of a picture frame, you can have an active slideshow of your favorite pictures. Pretty cool.
    -Mobile hotspot is awesome, I definitely make use of this with my laptop, even though I always just dialed via bluetooth. Hopefully there will be a hack soon for this phone so we won't have to pay for this feature, currently $20.
    -APPS AND WIDGETS. MY GOD, this is what a cell phone is supposed to look like in 2010. Updating weather based on my GPS location on my home scree with 2 days outlook without touching anything, one click away from hourly forecast or extended outlook.
    -RSS news feeds wherever you want them, about whatever you want.
    -Simple media sharing while on home wifi, including VERY easy streaming of pictures, videos, and movies from phone to TV wirelessly or with MICRO HDMI!!!
    -Much easier and of course smoother to upload and share any type of media to different sites and people, such as Facebook, Youtube, Emails, MMS, etc.
    -More user friendly and intuitive Notifications via a drag down menu in the top left.
    -Background on the home screens is obviously easily customizable, and with the screen being so amazing, it looks great. They have live backgrounds that move and do certain things that are very eye please, my current background is a water, with a reflection of trees, and lifelike fall colored leaves floating around in the water that appears to be subtly moving, and if you touch any part of the screen, it sends lifelike ripples that move through the water, and you can tap it as quick and often as you like to create lifelike movements in the water, simply amazing.
    -Every other phone running Android can be "ROOTED," which is essentially the same thing as jailbreaking an iphone. You can't on this phone YET, but obviously you will be able to soon, and when that happens, paid apps become free, and feature you need to pay Verizon for become free, so yea, more perks.
    -I can't speak enough about the amount of quality and tremendously useful apps, and how accessible and visible the widgets make very relevant and useful information!!! Date, to do, battery, one click picture dialing or texting to whoever you want, beautiful bookmarks on homepages, shortcuts to your favorite apps, or working widgets from your favorite apps.
    -Again, besides instant email from providers not named google, if this phone doesn't have it, there is an app that will do it.
    -One last attempt to explain how amazing the apps and widgets are, pretty much you can give your own flavor to your phone. You can make it do what you want it to, get the updates and info you want, ANYTHING.

I really can't speak on how unreal and amazing this phone is. The screen is absolutely stunning, and the system runs absolutely flawlessly. Everything about the phone is extremely intuitive and I was able to more or less master the Android platform and customize this HAND HELD COMPUTER exactly to my liking within hours.

If you have one, or are planning on getting one, or trying one out, some very helpful apps and widgets include(in alphabetical order), Advanced Task Killer, with this you can end all running programs with a simple click. AIM, I use this for Facebook Chat, although, if you want, you can set a bookmark for Login | Facebook for a standalone facebook chat in your browser, this works extremely well too. Astro, it is an awesome app for navigating through folders and managing your files. Bluff my call, had it on my Storm2, but so much smoother and better looking than the RIM counterpart, allows you to make calls using any caller id number you choose. Nesoid Lite, to play your favorite NES roms. Ringdroid, for editing your favorite MP3s into the perfect ringtone. Skyfire, a great alternative browser to help support SOME flash videos, that is the only benefit, other than that, the default browser is awesome. Uninstaller, great app to remove programs.

There are definitely a few more apps and widgets I forgot to mention, but as we get used to this phone and make our way through the DROID community I am sure we will all be able to find things we find useful. Again, I can't stress how unbelievably smooth and fast this phone operates. The ease of everything is just extremely shocking to me after dealing with a Blackberry for all these years. Menus always open instantly, programs alike, media plays flawlessly and opens immediately, no lag anywhere, ever. With a little bit of customization with shortcuts and widgets, the home screens can be turned into something that will satisfy every communication/social/media/news/information need you could possibly have.

After just a few hours with this phone, as somebody who is very into technology and gadgets, I am more than ashamed that I stood by Blackberries for this long. An honest comparison would be like moving from an N64 to an XBOX360, or from an old tube tv to a Samsung 3d LED. They aren't even comparable, and needless to say, unless RIM does a major overhaul, and somehow integrates their instantaneous nature of BBM and Emails into a more modern platform, I will NEVER go back.

Again, if you don't need your emails within seconds, and you won't die without BBM, there isn't a reason not to have this phone(or another powerful phone running Android), unless of course, you don't like progressive technology, and in that case, you wouldn't be on this website, SO....go get a Droid X.

And oh yeah, the phone reboots in under 30 seconds, not that you will ever need to.
    Last edited by roz0; 07-20-10 at 02:48 AM.
    negritude likes this.
    07-20-10 02:37 AM
    ^^Please, I thought it was a great "unbiased" opinion of the new X and with the OP telling you what berries he's/she's had I would hardly call trollage on this one, sorta the "pot, kettle, black" ain't it.
    07-20-10 07:37 AM
    Move this to the Android area please.

Don't feed the troll.
    Your join date is a month after his so fall back please !!!!
    07-20-10 08:08 AM
    Great review. I'm in the process of making the same tough choice. BBM is HUGE to me, so its tough. But I wouldn't call this trollage. I would call it an unbiased comparison from someone who is excited by the upgrade in technology.
    07-20-10 08:13 AM
    Nice review of the droid x (with that being said there was a lot of unnecessary berry bashing).....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-10 08:16 AM
    Great review. Thanks.
    07-20-10 08:17 AM
    Good review, wish you would have compared features side by side a little more, but i love my s2 and wont be do for an upgrade anytime soon, but i got to play with someones droid x, and i was quite impressed, but once im do for upgrade im sure something better will be out whether its android or bb
    07-20-10 08:20 AM
    First, you don't know what, if any, bias there is in the so called unbiased report.

Second, to say because one user had some odd problem their BB ALL BBs are junk hardly qualifies as a quality report.

If you can find a sample of one of my posts that qualifies as "trollage" please, sally forth with it.
    WOW, apparently you didn't learn to read in school, first off not once did the OP refer to "berries" as junk.

Second, maybe you should look up the term "bias or unbiased" in "Websters". How can you say the OP isn't "unbiased" they have had nothing but "berries" to begin with and are just now switching to the new "X" therefore no "previous" experience with the "X" makes it an "unbiased" opinion in my eyes and prolly quite a few others as well.

Thirdly, here's your sample of trollage. http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/dr...5/#post5366385

Move along..............
    07-20-10 08:24 AM
    Nice review of the droid x (with that being said there was a lot of unnecessary berry bashing).....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Unless that was "sarcasm" what exactly about the post was "unnecessary berry bashing", in all of that post I didn't see anything "bashing" about it, he11 the OP even admitted to certain features about the berry that still make it "Top Dog", after that the rest was about the features of the "X".
    07-20-10 08:28 AM
    If ya don't like it, don't read it, nobody has a gun to your head.
    07-20-10 08:37 AM
    I will miss a lot BBM and also 1min email to get, but it’s not only this. What is more important: X not a global phone, CDMA only, no GSM.
    07-20-10 08:44 AM
    I ask again. Please move this to the Android forum where it belongs.
    It does belong there, folks with S2's have been asking for unbiased reviews and comparisons. I know I have been anyway which is why I started a thread a while back.

It's hardly trolling, get over it. It could've been a bit more unbiased but whatever, he appears to be in the classic "honeymoon period".
    Last edited by fecurtis; 07-20-10 at 09:35 AM.
    07-20-10 08:47 AM
    Good review of the Droid X. I'm glad for some of these reviews that tell the user's side and not just bashing. Still love my Storm2 but I'm not too good to read reviews or even other forums.
    07-20-10 08:55 AM
    It doesn't belong there, folks with S2's have been asking for unbiased reviews and comparisons. I know I have been anyway which is why I started a thread a while back.

It's hardly trolling, get over it. It could've been a bit more unbiased but whatever, he appears to be in the classic "honeymoon period".
    Your reviews have been pretty good also. Thanks
    07-20-10 08:56 AM
    It doesn't belong there, folks with S2's have been asking for unbiased reviews and comparisons. I know I have been anyway which is why I started a thread a while back.
    Agreed. This is meant to be a forum, not an isolation unit where information about new smart phones is forbidden.
    07-20-10 08:59 AM

Just read yours, nice review btw, as I was thinking of the X come Nov. upgrade, but if 6 releases b4 then, might have to save the upgrade and see what the S3 is all about.
    07-20-10 08:59 AM
    Looks like the s3 will be the storm too with double the memory for blackberry 6 and new webkit browser
    07-20-10 09:08 AM
    i guess the point is that you would go to an ANDROID forum or ANDROID section of CB for info and reviews on ANDROID device.

I dont care i read all sections at one time so i dont know what thread is in what section sometimes. But i see why some would think it needs moved
    07-20-10 09:25 AM
    I know. I spend lots of time on the Android forum reading about how great the Storm 2 is.
    Do you really think hardware and performance wise a phone that was released 6 months after the S2 would be worse?

You're incredibly delusional and you seem easily offended when someone attempts to imply that phone x is better than your phone. Rather immature really.

If the OP just had a mindless rant then you'd be a bit more in line to be annoyed.
    07-20-10 09:37 AM
    He's just pissed cause he thought he was being cool with the "trollage" remark and got called out on it from more than me.
    07-20-10 09:39 AM
    What's funny is YOU seem to be the only one in this thread bothered by it, the OP hasn't done anything more than point out his perspective on the device in comparison to the S2 and other berries he had, I don't understand why you are "crying" so loud about it being moved, you act like the OP committed a "federal offense", move on and go read something else if it bothers you so.
    07-20-10 10:00 AM
    I liked the thread here.
    I have a S2 and am contemplating the move to a Droid X after 2.2 drops.
    There are some things that concern me about the phone but no upgrade for my S2 in the next 6-8 months means that RIM will lose my business. My S2 will replace my wife's S1.

The S3 with just more memory and some tweaks does not qualify.
    07-20-10 02:25 PM
    I appreciate reviews from past Storm users. It helps me decide what to do. If you don't like them you certainly don't have to read them.
    07-20-10 02:37 PM
    The OP spoke from an S2 user perspective. The thread belongs here.
    If you are bothered by it, ignore it.
    Moreover, there is not much else to talk about S2 if not complaints. . And occasionally newbies that show up rarely but genuinely need help.

Nice review. But I will gladly pass on getting Droid X at this point. The best is yet to come and it may damn well be a Storm 3.

BlackBerry 6's WebKit-based browser bests the competition in a good 'ol standards showdown -- Engadget
    07-20-10 03:06 PM
    FFS ppl.. We all have a right to our opinions.. Quite frankly you have to admit RIM has been slacking.. I expected a heck of a lot more out of the S2.. I want so badly to skip rocks with it off my Harley fat boy doing 80 mph.. I have never in my lifetime of being a berry supporter, follower, owner come across such a fickle phone.. And I'm being nice about it.. My curve was more rock stable then this.. You need to keep in mind even tho many have S2's don't always mean they will get the same result as the next guy.. I got the 2 for 2 deal with VZW when the S2 first came out.. One is ok/fine (half the issues) as the other a pos.. So goes to show when you get what sounds like an awesome deal, Isn't always the case.. Soon as my upgrade date comes in Oct. I think I'm going to jump ship and take a walk on the wild side myself.. RIM really needs to get it together and wow me b4 I come back.. =oP
    07-20-10 03:07 PM
184 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD