Unfortunately since I have been laid off for almost 5 months now my BB Storm has been costing me some good amount of money a month (75.00) and looks like I will need to downgrade to a non smartphone to save money. Anybody have suggestion for good non-smartphones with verizon?
    05-26-09 11:42 AM
    You could just kill you data plan and use it w/ only phone features.
    05-26-09 12:16 PM
    You could just kill you data plan and use it w/ only phone features.
    No you cant

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 12:19 PM
    All Smartphones require a Data service in order to be actived/used, only one i know that will let you have a smartphone without a data plan is AT&T and T-Mobile (since i have relatives that own BBs with both carriers and no data plans)
    05-26-09 12:52 PM
    OP's info dsays ATT/Cingular so it amy be possible for them to drop DATA features. Though I suspect before too long ATT will join Sprint & VZW in the all Smartphones must have data service club
    05-26-09 03:49 PM
    the OP is on ATT, good work, sherlocks!!!

and ATT is one of the carriers that allows to have no data...

to the OP, make sure you enable the firewall to block you from using the services, and see if their tech support will kill your BIS account so there are no service books to be sent...idk if it auto does that if you're not provisioned for BB data plan...i've only experienced with verizon, and they don't give us the option.
    05-26-09 04:38 PM
    Motorolas are junk phones (i sound like an Apple fanboi talkin to a Storm owner )...all the ones i had were. Sucky UI too.

LG's are sissy phones with weak radios but killer battery life. If you can find an old LG VX8100 on eBay or craigslist i say get it. Best dumbphone I've ever had.

I've only had one Samsung and it was actually a nice phone. Took a pretty hard beating too.

Just my two pennies

05-26-09 05:07 PM
    Motorolas are junk phones (i sound like an Apple fanboi talkin to a Storm owner )...all the ones i had were. Sucky UI too.

LG's are sissy phones with weak radios but killer battery life. If you can find an old LG VX8100 on eBay or craigslist i say get it. Best dumbphone I've ever had.

I've only had one Samsung and it was actually a nice phone. Took a pretty hard beating too.

Just my two pennies

I second that 8100 is a great dumbphone....If you want a new phone though hmmm my vote is for another smartphone that doesn't require a data plan (any prior to November 08)
    05-26-09 05:10 PM
    Get a voyager, I had it for a while and it had great call quality, GREAT texting a LOT better than any phone I ever had...I kind of miss it actually lol but I like the storm a LOT more.

It's kind of a kiddy phone though.
    05-26-09 05:35 PM
    I'm still a fan of the LG enV and enV2. They get the job done.

05-26-09 05:45 PM
    i <3 env, but env2 suxxxorz!

i don't like the smaller keys they used...
    05-26-09 05:48 PM
    I've had good experience with LG, horrible experience with NOKIA. Every NOKIA I had developed a battery problem after a few months where if you bumped it, the phone would shut off. VERY annoying.
    05-26-09 05:52 PM
    I'm still a fan of the LG enV and enV2. They get the job done.

+1 on the enV as well

but env2 suxxxorz!
    +10 on that POS, but the battery life is a-freakin-mazing
    05-26-09 09:57 PM
    I don't understand why you would go for the envy and not the voyager. The envy doesn't have a screen if it's closed it's tiny. The voyager has a beautiful HUGE screen and also the keyboard is nicer.
    05-26-09 10:31 PM
    I don't understand why you would go for the envy and not the voyager. The envy doesn't have a screen if it's closed it's tiny. The voyager has a beautiful HUGE screen and also the keyboard is nicer.
    more things to go wrong. if you want a dumb phone, make it REALLY dumb...and the inside screen is pretty nice. if it weren't a POS like stated before, i'd prolly still let my bro have it vs. a curve...
    05-27-09 01:41 AM
    Well, FWIW, I have an old Samsung Alias that I beat the living daylights out of for almost two years and I have to say it's probably the most durable phone I've ever had and it picked up signal in places I couldn't believe. I actually had about a three hour call on it once driving from Central Eastern WA to Northern ID without a single drop...worked on mountain passes and everything. Pretty good for texting and phone calls. BT worked well on it too.

I hear ya about the job thing. I haven't had a real job in 7 months, but thankfully I had money in the bank. I actually quit my job on purpose to take a couple months off and relocate, but now I'm having a hard time getting back to work. I had NO idea I would have so much trouble! Good luck to ya!
    05-27-09 02:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD