I am still not sure what all the "mute" button does on the right top of the phone. Only thing I can figure out is if you pause your music instead of stopping it then when you hit the mute button it will start playing? Maybe I am right??

All I know is, I went to the see the new 3D movie My Bloody Valentine and right at a good scary point I had a tx so I checked it and as I was putting the phone back in my pocket I hit the mute button and just about scared the **** out of half the people around me when the music started roaring!!
    01-19-09 01:04 PM
    You can also use it in calls, or to mute calls coming in.
    01-19-09 01:05 PM
    LOL, had that happen before too. Sets your profile to vibrate when the phone is locked.
    01-19-09 01:09 PM
    My profile is set to vibrate and the phone is locked and yet somehow the button gets pressed and the music starts playing. This is really embarrassing when it happens at work and I was wondering if I can disable it or at least make it not go off in my pocket?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-09 05:51 PM
    My profile is set to vibrate and the phone is locked and yet somehow the button gets pressed and the music starts playing. This is really embarrassing when it happens at work and I was wondering if I can disable it or at least make it not go off in my pocket?
    Don't press the button while it's in your pocket!

As the previous poster said, if the phone is locked, pressing that button changes it to vibrate only (or turns off vibrate only).

You actually have to hold it down for a few seconds for it to change the ring profile - maybe you need to think about how your phone is facing while in your pocket to have that button held down?
    01-29-09 09:23 PM
    This button confuses me too, and this entire thread confuses me more. I thought the button was meant to set your sound profile either to silent or mute, and back out to normal. But it doesn't do ANYTHING at all for me. If I have it set on normal, I press it, and the sound profile doesn't change.
    01-29-09 09:25 PM
    If you "close" media player or "stop" it not pause, the mute button won't play the music even if you pressed it accidentally.
    Make sure it before you need to be silent.

And just in my case, changing sound profile with that button worked only in .75 perfectly.
    .86 didn't work and .90 barely worked.
    Last edited by chyoch; 01-29-09 at 10:05 PM.
    01-29-09 10:01 PM
    Don't press the button while it's in your pocket!

As the previous poster said, if the phone is locked, pressing that button changes it to vibrate only (or turns off vibrate only).

You actually have to hold it down for a few seconds for it to change the ring profile - maybe you need to think about how your phone is facing while in your pocket to have that button held down?

That would be nice if that's all it did but even doing that while its locked turns the music on for my storm. Is there an option to turn this off somewhere?

01-29-09 10:06 PM
    If you "close" media player or "stop" it not pause, the mute button won't play the music even if you pressed it accidentally.
    Make sure it before you need to be silent.

And just in my case, changing sound profile with that button worked only in .75 perfectly.
    .86 didn't work and .90 barely worked.
    Thank you very much this solves the problem! I should have thought about that before! Closing stuff always solves problems lol

01-29-09 10:15 PM
    Yeah...once I figured out how to actually use the button...(press it when the phone is locked) I actually started to love the convenience of just pressing it to put my phone on vibrate rather than going through the sound profile menu.
    01-29-09 10:33 PM
    When I first loaded 0.90 I discovered that the mute button would cycle between vibrate and silence (long buzz - vibrate and short buzz silence). Now all mute button does is nothing from the lock position.

01-29-09 10:52 PM
    This is one part of the Storm where I wish they'd just copy the Treo's ringer switch... Just turn all sounds on or off and signal you did so with a vibrate.

None of this crazy crap that ends up just confusing people.
    01-29-09 10:54 PM
    It doesn't do a thing under .90, not even after locking the phone.
    01-29-09 11:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD