Saw this and took some photos of it yesterday. Finally getting the chance to share it with you all tonight. May not be a shocker to some ppl, but I was shocked and tickled when I saw this.

This is what happened to my friend who fooled around with his Storm and had it replaced SEVERAL times. Once or twice the replacement may not have been his fault, but there were a few times where it was his doing, and I guess he figured the insurance would cover as many replacements as he could get away with...NOT THE CASE.

Long story short, as far as his Storm insurance goes for the remainder of his ownership: In honor of Cinco de Mayo, NO MAS. lol. Lesson to be learned here folks. Don't toy with your Storm insurance!
    05-05-09 09:58 PM
    Is your friend made of money? Don't you have to pay $50 for every replacement phone?
    05-05-09 10:01 PM
    thats the way its always been with asurion... verizon told me this back 2 years ago when i first got my voyager. and while you wait on hold i beleve the recording reminds you or something.
    05-05-09 10:01 PM
    yeah thats how asurion has always been, protects them from people abusing it....but if your phone is broke for legit(something due to phone not operating right and needs replacing), then normal manufacturer warranty,will handle it...i've gone through 3 phones(storm) with verizon though, all being because i broke it myself, 50 bucks and they gave me a new one.

few years back when i didnt know what "memory leak" was for BB's, and my info would get deleted, i would take it in and tell them it was broke, i went through a BB every 2 weeks(i went through 10 pearls, and they just kept replacing it everytime i came in
    05-05-09 10:58 PM
    Good for them, they shouldn't have to keep replacing it just because people are clumsy. If there is legitimately something wrong with the phone, thats different, but dropping it in the toilet 6 times in a one year period is quite extreme lol

PS
    I only dropped my RAZR in the toilet once. After I switched to BlackBerries, I was too in love to let such a thing take place.
    05-06-09 01:05 AM
    Must agree.
    I find it disgusting how people rip insurances off, then ***** about premiums and lack-of satisfaction from these companies at the same time. It's theft, nothing more nothing less.
    They should have investigated it earlier, and cancelled his policy imo.
    05-06-09 03:36 AM
    There is only 1 reason you drop your phone in the toilet...and it's bec your looking at something you shouldn't be while standing there in the stall...
    05-06-09 03:44 AM
    I agree with the abuse statement, but I also have a problem with having a 2 replacement limit. Here's why....

A couple years back, when the Razor was a new item, I had a phone stolen out of my bag...not sure where I was when it was stolen, but of course noticed it was gone when I needed it. I contacted Asurion and got a replacement. About 7 or 8 months later, I dropped my Razor in a puddle during a rain storm and had to get it replaced - and got one of the letters posted by the OP.

Here was my problem - I had insurance on my phones since I'd been with Verizon - for several years, and never needed them. They collected my money without missing a beat. Then I need them - twice in the same year - they cancel my insurance. Had to go without insurance for over a year, because they will not insure an existing device, only a new one.

Again, I know why they have such policies, but that doesn't help if you happen to need your insurance company twice in the same 12 month period.

JMO
    05-06-09 09:17 AM
    I'm most surprised that they limit you to 2 per 12 month period then cancel you. I can understand raising rates, but canceling????
    05-06-09 12:31 PM
    Sounds like someone needs to invest in the Otterbox Storm cover...
    05-06-09 12:35 PM
    I'm most surprised that they limit you to 2 per 12 month period then cancel you. I can understand raising rates, but canceling????
    I agree with this.. canceling seems a bit rash.
    05-06-09 12:40 PM
    If I say that my storm is lost (when it is not actually lost), do u think they will track the phone ?? I have taken off the battery also. But do u think whenever I switch it on, they can track it ?
    05-13-09 09:58 PM
    If I say that my storm is lost (when it is not actually lost), do u think they will track the phone ?? I have taken off the battery also. But do u think whenever I switch it on, they can track it ?
    If you claim to have lost your phone, Verizon will "black list" it, and you won't be able to use it anyway.
    05-13-09 10:05 PM
    looks like this insurance that people aren't happy with this idea ?
    05-13-09 10:12 PM
    looks like this insurance that people aren't happy with this idea ?
    only grudge i have against this insurance is that they charge you $50 for every replacement...on top of the other fees you pay in order to have the insurance in the first place

its BS! and if you argue that its there to prevent abuse, well, they should at least give you your first replacement free (or much less...$50 isnt pocket change).

otherwise its pretty good, i have no experience with it personally but my good friend has had to use it once and he was satisfied
    05-13-09 10:45 PM
    the deductible prices are going UP as well
    05-13-09 10:46 PM
    Where I come from and based on how I was raised, that is FRAUD!
    05-13-09 10:56 PM
    Unless your friend physically damaged the phone, an insurance claim to replace it is not necessary. This is what warranty is for and if you have Total Equipment Coverage, that extends the warranty to 2 years.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 10:57 PM
    Unless your friend physically damaged the phone, an insurance claim to replace it is not necessary. This is what warranty is for and if you have Total Equipment Coverage, that extends the warranty to 2 years.

hey civic, i thought the warrenty only covered the first year? please enlighten me
    05-13-09 11:09 PM
    He shoulda known better. It's like that with all insurance. Besides, they tell you that when you're waiting for a rep to file a claim with.
    05-13-09 11:32 PM
    hey civic, i thought the warrenty only covered the first year? please enlighten me
    $5 insurance does not extend warranty. $6 insurance does and you don't pay deductible is it's a warranty thing for 2 years instead of 1.

05-13-09 11:39 PM
    I'm surprised at... well, no I'm not. the fact of the matter is that ANY insurance carrier has some kind of amendment saying they can drop your coverage if you overuse the service. Look at car insurance - you cause an accident, they can - and most likely will - either raise your rate or drop you. why is anybody upset at this?

take responsibility for yourself, don't expect others to be responsible for you.
    05-14-09 12:04 AM
    Well, that's why people invest in insurance companies. They insure you for a premium.... and then when you become a high-risk to them, they drop you.

Now, let's consider this.

Some information may not be accurate but let me show you something interesting.

Asurion website says that they have over 70 million customers.
    If 70 million people pay $5 per month for 12 months, their total gross revenue is $4,200,000,000 for 12 months.

70,000,000 * $5 * 12 Months = $4,200,000,000

Asurion's website says "over 25% of all phones in the U.S. get lost, broken or damaged every year." Let's just say 25% of 70 million subscribers file claim with Asurion once in 12 months with an average cost to Asurion of $150 (justified considering the following facts: the deductible; majority of them are probably dumb phones; they purchase their replacement phones in big lots so they probably get them EXTREMELY CHEAP; and they replace phones with refurbished phones).

25% of 70,000,000 = 17,500,000
    17,500,000 * $150 = $2,625,000,000

Asurion's Net Profit for 12 months = $1,575,000,000

Of course this doesn't take into consideration of expenses in running the company but I don't think it cost them $1.5 billion to run that company for 12 months (unless they pay their executives millions of dollars every year in bonuses).

This assumption also doesn't consider the fact that they probably have a department that invests their money in other projects to make more money.
    05-14-09 03:46 AM
    Then, let's say their expenses stay the same and they raise their premium $1 per month to each customer and raise the deductible. $1 is probably nothing to individuals but that's $840 million (70 million * $1 * 12 months) extra that the shareholders take home from our pockets.
    Last edited by wangster; 05-14-09 at 03:52 AM.
    05-14-09 03:49 AM
    Crackberry has over a million subscribers. If we all invest $100 and start a wireless handset insurance company with a $100 million, we can all make some money. Any attorneys around to incorporate "CB Wireless Protection, Inc."? And of course we should incorporate in a low or no tax state.
    05-14-09 03:55 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD